The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Mac crashers: any last words before abandoning ship?

Stille_desAethers
Stille_desAethers
✭✭✭
I have poured an embarrassing amount of money into this game because it has so many wonderful features, and worked surprisingly well... until Catalina. Now, I have 3/4 of a mind to cancel my sub. Has ZOS exaggerated (or, frankly, abandoned) its Mac support?

Multi-player combat (pvp AND PVE) have since become inaccessible due to chronic crashing (via MoltenVk). No, setting the graphics to ***-quality (let alone medium quality) does not work. No, reinstalling the entire game (let alone with addons) does not work for more than 12 hrs. Not even rebooting the computer allows the game to function properly for more than a few minutes.

Since then, I have reset my graphics to highest quality (trust me, graphics-quality makes no difference after the first 48h of reinstallation), reinstalled my crafting add-ons (Master Merchant somewhat increases the odds of crashing) shoot two jesus-beams into the combat and run away. This is the only way I get anything done.

Last call for any advice?
Edited by ZOS_Bill on January 11, 2023 2:05PM
Aus der Engel Ordnungen is a bald, bespectacled, Dunmer vampire with an affection for Dwarven tech. She cannot hear you scream. "For beauty really is nothing but the beginning of terror..."
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought Zenimax had said they would not support the new Apple architecture but would support the previous architecture for a duration that it was essentially worth their effort.

So the question is, has that changed it has that time come?
  • Harold_Hedd
    Harold_Hedd
    ✭✭✭
    That is sad to read.

I am also on a Mac, a M1 with Ventura and a LG OLED TV screen.

Have you tried deleting all the folders in the libraries connected to ESO, before installing the game again ?

I play from my Documents folder which is backed up to iCloud - if you have the same set-up, maybe the back up could interfer with the game.

And I guess you have tried all the other suggestions in here, including retrina monitors ?

I do hope you get it to work again :)
  • ComfortablyDummb
    Still unplayable unless you have an external monitor.
  • Harold_Hedd
    Harold_Hedd
    ✭✭✭
    I do also have to quit the Launcher.app before logging in, to be able to play the game.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm playing on a (non-M1) MacBook Air that's running an up-to-date macOS, and this latest release seems to be pretty smooth for me. I'm able to play at fullscreen again, no longer need to disconnect and reconnect the mouse each time I start the game, and haven't had any crashes per se. I did get disconnected the other night while fighting the final boss of a dungeon, but that was probably due more to the fact that my internet's had occasional blips during the last week.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems I spoke too soon. My MacBook Air is running the latest release of macOS 12 (Monterey), not of 13 (Ventura). I'm not sure why macOS 13 isn't showing up when I check for updates, unless it's because of cloud backup space issues.

Also, the Mouse Freelook that moves the camera angle around as you move the mouse around has been working great, but then tonight I had to turn off the un-Magic Mouse, turn it back on again, and reconnect to it in System Preferences to get the Mouse Freelook to function as it's supposed to. Still, I used to have to do that 100% of the time, but lately I haven't needed to do it nearly as often.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Stille_desAethers
    Stille_desAethers
    ✭✭✭
    Still unplayable unless you have an external monitor.

huh, I wonder if that would circumvent any issues with Vulkan or MoltenVK?

A new version of MoltenVK was released in October and I have wondered whether it is necessary to download the newer release and arrange it to a specific folder, but I'm out of my depth here and ESO customer support remains completely silent on the matter...

https://github.com/KhronosGroup/MoltenVK
    Aus der Engel Ordnungen is a bald, bespectacled, Dunmer vampire with an affection for Dwarven tech. She cannot hear you scream. "For beauty really is nothing but the beginning of terror..."
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As there are already multiple threads on this topic which are less baiting, we have decided to close this discussion from further posts.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.