Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Important Balanced PVP Feature Volendrung Counter!

King_Jude
King_Jude
✭✭✭
Healing, and Tanking Relics Like The DPS Relic (Volendrung!)
  1. Player's should have access to more than just the Volendrung in PVP that only caters to DPS type players in pvp. If a healer or tank was to grab the Volendrung, it would be less effective as well as generate hate from the player's alliance in the zone.

2. These relics should spawn behind each alliance gate at the same time, however, just as the Volendrung works now, if a player finds the location of the relic early before the auto spawn behind the alliance gates, then it's free for anyone to grab. These relics would be a great siege counter to one another, but possible for an alliance to attain all three relics should another alliance lose a better and lose their relic in possession.

3. There should be a Healing weapon relic, and a Tanking one hand & shield relic in Cyrodiil.

4. The Healing relic would allow players to offer powerful heals to large alliance groups within range, healing keeps walls, doors, and siege as the overall concept of the healing relic based off the DPS relic.

5. The healer relic drains slower when healing allies, keep walls, keep doors, and siege.

6. The Healing Relic is more effective offering better heals with Healer type players geared towards healing. Similar to how the Volendrung is more effective with strong DPS players.

7. The Tanking relic would allow players to defensively buff large alliance groups within range, by blocking and using skills. The relic could also buff the defenses of keep walls, doors, and siege within the range of the relic. The tanking ultimate could possibly off 30% reduction of damage, but not counting as the major protection buff. The tanking relic based around the same concept of the DPS, and Healing Relic.

8. The Tanking relic drains slower when defending allies, keep walls, keep doors, and siege.

9. The tanking relic is more effective with tank style players geared towards Tanking.

10. Each of these relics should be available as a housing furnishing item just as the Volendrung is available.
Edited by King_Jude on December 21, 2022 11:20AM
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i see no point in impementing specific tank and healing relics, both areas are already completely absurd without relics.
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭
    Luede wrote: »
    i see no point in impementing specific tank and healing relics, both areas are already completely absurd without relics.

I do, It kind of sucks when you're playing as a tank and a healer and you see the dps relic drop, and you know to stay away from that relic because your build would make poor use of it. There's more to just DPS in this game, and pvp should appeal to all roles, not just DPS, DPS is fun and all, but so is tanking and Healing.

There's just nothing based around Tanks and Healer's in pvp unfortunately. In addition, PVP healing got nerfed because you can no longer heal player outside of your team even if they're on your alliance. Not every healer finds a group in pvp. There's a lot of issues going on there, but changing the dynamic would make the game extremely fun especially since cyrodiil has not changed in so long.
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, i see what you mean, but there are already builds that are pretty much unkillable and healing is already going through the roof with the usual builds. your suggestion would not bring any fun to the game, except for the one who would use the relic.

however, i could imagine relics that directly strengthen the keeps defense. There are certainly many more ideas that could be implemented, but since Zos doesn't get anything done, we probably won't see anything.

• King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭
    yes, i see what you mean, but there are already builds that are pretty much unkillable and healing is already going through the roof with the usual builds. your suggestion would not bring any fun to the game, except for the one who would use the relic.

however, i could imagine relics that directly strengthen the keeps defense. There are certainly many more ideas that could be implemented, but since Zos doesn't get anything done, we probably won't see anything.

Think about it... The volendrung didn't bring any fun to the game for the players in PvP who plays healers and tanks. It only brought fun to the game for the DPS but it did make the game more interesting overall. This would be the same concept for the other relics. The other relics won't be fun for the DPS but it'll be fun for the healers and tanks.

Also for players being really tanky and unkillable in PvP is a system that zos should change about battle spirit to be honest.

Personally this is what I feel when it comes to combat and elder scrolls online within PVP areas.

Wearing light armor should put debuffs in place within the battle spirit that makes melee damage do significantly more damage making light armor wearing players significantly squishier. However their damaged should go up to the point where anyone wearing heavy armor should take significantly more damage from magic style players. These players should be able to destroy tanks, but at a disadvantage to the players wearing medium armor.

Medium armor style players should be able to deal much faster DPS that isn't as strong as magic but the strength comes in the speed where they do combo damage at a fairly high rate of speed. They shouldn't be as squishy as light armor players however they're not tanky either. Also these types of players shouldn't be able to be the tank in a combat fight but should be able to punish any player wearing light armor.

Players win heavy armor should be able to do a steady rate of strong but slower damage and should be able to be highly resistant to physical damage. Making medium armor style players add a disadvantage to tanks.

Battle spirit should speed up and slow down the speed various attacks depending on what they are. Battle spirit should also affect whether a player is squishy or tanky depending on what type of gear that they're wearing. This way you have strength and weaknesses depending on who your opponent is.

Overall these restrictions should only apply while in the battle spirit but should not apply in PVE.

Players within no longer be able to complain about other people's builds being unkillable, too tanky with too much OP damage.
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    honestly, i generally don't see a place for tanks in pvp, since there's nothing to tank. i also don't understand why this is played at all, aside from reflect tank builds. must be some kind of point to be the last in your group, which is ignored by all opponents.
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭
    honestly, i generally don't see a place for tanks in pvp, since there's nothing to tank. i also don't understand why this is played at all, aside from reflect tank builds. must be some kind of point to be the last in your group, which is ignored by all opponents.

Guard tanks are fun, hard to kill, annoying, and they protect the player they're guarding. Even in BGs it's fun unless you get deathmatch. But depending on the team, it can still be fun. Just getting the hate mail feels satisfactory... Lol
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree just because the relic weapons would just destroy faction balance in pvp more than it already is.

The overall intention of volundrung originally was to keep the game from having "dead air" where people were online but the map was not moving. So when volundrung came out, you know the map would immediately start having tons of action.

However volendrung created tons of problems on it's own, and these relics you propose would exacerbate this tenfold.

1. Volendrung is already total bomb bait, whenever it comes out all types of bombers are going to run their zerg nuke builds to nuke groups who go after it, the same will happen with any new relic added into the game

2. Farm groups already use volendrung for their farming needs, imagine if that same group could now use volendrung plus an OP healing item and an OP tanking item simultaneously? We already have people complain about ball groups wiping zergs continuously, that will just give them more tools to die even less.

3. It will destroy faction balance, if one faction is already dominating the map, they will more than likely end up with all 3 relics at once, and most likely have all 3 relics running together to get insane offensive and defensive capability to gate the other factions 24/7. If one faction ends up with all 3 at once and they all run together that pretty much makes it impossible to stop such a zerg unless you just happen to have tons of bombers to counter that in that moment.(Dedicated Bombers are a rarity nowadays anyways, there's not a big enough bombing community to keep big zergs in check)

4. A healing relic would be too overtuned defensively. Healing is already insane, having such a relic would make defending keeps be pretty OP if they choose to just sit at one keep. Imagine an Emp defending their last keep and the guy with healing relic just sits on the wall spamming heals on the wall making it impossible to break into the last keep or pocket healing the emperor and emperor group so they don't get dethroned. How would you stop that from happening, assuming that the Emperor is a very competent PVP'er?

5. Relics cause disastrous lag in this game, whenever volendrung comes out, the entire server rushes for it, so much so that it generates insane lag. Having multiple of these would encourage more people to show in mass to collect them causing more bunching and arguably way more lag and actions per minute to stress an already dying server. It just seems like a good way to try and nuke the game performance that is already notoriously bad.
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭
    1. players have to adjust their builds so that they're not squishy enough to get beat out by zergs. Players just have to change their play style for group composition. The issue is just that most players randomly join through zone chat but have no interests in real group play to accommodate the group. Player's often have selfish builds. I notice groups of ransoms often get bombed and killed but groups of guilds often don't lose to bombers.

2. The whole point of the volundrung is to farm kills as the more kills you feed it, the longer it lasts. Killing while you take keeps is the point of that relic. Dying to ball groups really is a plague to players who stay huddled up or grouping with squishy players. Players have to change their play style.

3. Volendrung already turns the tides depending on how the map is flowing. An alliance is about to get emp circle completed but the other alliances are putting forth good defense, the volendrung can either help the winning team get it if they find it first or help the other alliance push them back.

4. The same rules would apply to the healer relic, you can't repair a wall while it's under attack. So you wouldn't have to worry about sieging a keep and it healing at the same time. However the defensive relic would make the damage seiges do to the keep reduced or maybe completely cancel out the volendrung perhaps. But the healing relic healing players would make it hard to kill players but not hard to break in. At least until the relic goes back to oblivion of course. These battles would yeild plenty of potential AP for the winning team. Also they wouldn't be op in the wrong hands.

5. I can't say that a relic has made me lag on PS4, PS5 or PC, however I can say cyrodiil has made my platform lag due to server bugs that needed to be patched because everyone was experiencing these issues.
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    King_*** wrote: »
    1. players have to adjust their builds so that they're not squishy enough to get beat out by zergs. Players just have to change their play style for group composition. The issue is just that most players randomly join through zone chat but have no interests in real group play to accommodate the group. Player's often have selfish builds. I notice groups of ransoms often get bombed and killed but groups of guilds often don't lose to bombers.

2. The whole point of the volundrung is to farm kills as the more kills you feed it, the longer it lasts. Killing while you take keeps is the point of that relic. Dying to ball groups really is a plague to players who stay huddled up or grouping with squishy players. Players have to change their play style.

3. Volendrung already turns the tides depending on how the map is flowing. An alliance is about to get emp circle completed but the other alliances are putting forth good defense, the volendrung can either help the winning team get it if they find it first or help the other alliance push them back.

4. The same rules would apply to the healer relic, you can't repair a wall while it's under attack. So you wouldn't have to worry about sieging a keep and it healing at the same time. However the defensive relic would make the damage seiges do to the keep reduced or maybe completely cancel out the volendrung perhaps. But the healing relic healing players would make it hard to kill players but not hard to break in. At least until the relic goes back to oblivion of course. These battles would yeild plenty of potential AP for the winning team. Also they wouldn't be op in the wrong hands.

None of these really tackle the problem of what if one zerg on the dominant faction ends up with all 3 at once. What do you do in a situation where the Emperor group has volendrung, healing relic and tank relic all at once. What is the strategy to take out that group. They already have an emperor with nuke capabilities, they also have a relic with nuke capabilities and a healing relic with anti-nuke capabilities and then a potential Tank with the ability to face roll a zerg capabilities.

What is the strategy to stop people from having all 4 of these tools becoming too overpowered? Other than just letting them die out, it sounds like the best time to log off the game and play something different until they disappear. Fighting volendrung zergs is already a nightmare as is. This just sounds like a suggestion to make such a group stronger than it already is.

Unless they buffed bombers immensely to be able to start zerg wiping, I can't see a scenario where this isn't going to be abused to the point where they just force every enemy faction to just log off instead of playing the game.
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭
    xDeusEJRx wrote: »

None of these really tackle the problem of what if one zerg on the dominant faction ends up with all 3 at once. What do you do in a situation where the Emperor group has volendrung, healing relic and tank relic all at once. What is the strategy to take out that group. They already have an emperor with nuke capabilities, they also have a relic with nuke capabilities and a healing relic with anti-nuke capabilities and then a potential Tank with the ability to face roll a zerg capabilities.

What is the strategy to stop people from having all 4 of these tools becoming too overpowered? Other than just letting them die out, it sounds like the best time to log off the game and play something different until they disappear. Fighting volendrung zergs is already a nightmare as is. This just sounds like a suggestion to make such a group stronger than it already is.

Unless they buffed bombers immensely to be able to start zerg wiping, I can't see a scenario where this isn't going to be abused to the point where they just force every enemy faction to just log off instead of playing the game.

Emperor isn't even as strong as it used to be after they nerfed it, but yes all 4 would be a power house, emp group with all three relics however... The only way to beat zergs is two strategize divide in conquer... Alliances often view the map look at what's going on in work together to be a common enemy from what I can see. For example Evan Park pack has been dominating a lot in blackreach and daggerfall covenant in all the aldemeri Dominion often works together against EP from my point of view.

The strategy of divide and conquer would be one alliance cutting off their home keeps while another alliances taken away from their emperor keeps You divide the zerg while the zerg can only fight one or split up and become weaker. You also lower the battle hungry DPS that likes to chase and stray away from the group and clear them out.

Yes once you gate in alliance they do get discouraged and get offline for maybe about an hour or two however when the other side of the world wakes up the battle picks right back up and they always come back. That has been the way of PVP since before the relic even made its way into the game. Those relics won't last forever but it may give an alliance and unfair advantage of getting to the top.

Often I will see ebonheart pact packed grab the volendrung, bring it out the gates, and immediately get killed for it, and lose it. Sometimes those other alliances has zergs of their own that come and just take from another Zerg. The flow of PVP is always changing.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the idea sounds kinda fun but needs some tweaking.

First off, if anyone in your alliance has one of the three then the other two just simply can't be picked up by your alliance period.

Secondly, there should be a system for who gets what. Emp alliance gets defense weapon, alliance currently standing to get least points at next evaluation get volundrung, and the third alliance gets the healing one.

Emp can't pick up any of them.

The healing weapon I think should heal players, volundrung is volundrung, and the defense weapon should buff keep walls and doors. Buff. Not heal. Either increase the health by quite a bit or reduce the damage taken.

The emp alliance having the worst weapon is by design.
  • Iriidius
    Iriidius
    ✭✭✭
    Actually a tank grabbing volendrung is more effective than a dd grabbing volendrung at least if you dont have healers healing Volendrung and the tank is wearing self healing sets like maras balm, hist sap, crimson twilight, leeching plate, almalexias mercy, malubeth or oakensoul. When I have Volendrung i often die because althought I am low health for a while and there are multiple players of my alliance not a single one heals me and I cant heal myself, so even low dps can kill me over time. If I zerg down defenders in a less active campaign, i can also let others do the dmg. Only with multiple healers and many killable players in enemy faction stack I would prefer dd for volendrung. The main Objective for Volendrung is to destroy walls/maingates anyway.
    Using Volendrung as a healer is really ineffective, you cant heal at all, neither yourself nor others.
    Why would you make an artefact that should help the weaker factions conpletely dependent of healing by others? you need healers to keep you alive these healers are probably play in a zerg because they need dds they can heal and that do dmg for them. A zerg probably not existent on weaker factions.
    Edited by Iriidius on March 11, 2023 7:12PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I recall, the Devs did have other artifact weapons planned, like Auriel's bow.

Old speculative content: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Auriel's_Bow

But that fell by the wayside. One reason is obvious: Cyrodiil performance has deteriorated since Volendrung, and the Devs have been unwilling to add new content while the performance issues are so crippling for so many players.

Until that's fixed, it doesn't really matter whether players like artifact weapons or not.
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭
    From what I recall, the Devs did have other artifact weapons planned, like Auriel's bow.

Old speculative content: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Auriel's_Bow

But that fell by the wayside. One reason is obvious: Cyrodiil performance has deteriorated since Volendrung, and the Devs have been unwilling to add new content while the performance issues are so crippling for so many players.

Until that's fixed, it doesn't really matter whether players like artifact weapons or not.

That's actually quite interesting, although I'm not opposed to another DPS wep or having more fps types of weps but I do want something for the other roles as well.
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »

First off, if anyone in your alliance has one of the three then the other two just simply can't be picked up by your alliance period.

Secondly, there should be a system for who gets what. Emp alliance gets defense weapon, alliance currently standing to get least points at next evaluation get volundrung, and the third alliance gets the healing one.

The healing weapon I think should heal players, volundrung is volundrung, and the defense weapon should buff keep walls and doors. Buff. Not heal. Either increase the health by quite a bit or reduce the damage taken.

Interesting, I'm not opposed to those ideas but, I do like the idea of alliance factions having the freedom to win their battles and take the loot and use it as they please rather than not being able to grab it. But emperor continuing to not being able to pick up relics is always good. Emperor also needs to be rebuffed to it's original state given the time and effort it takes to become the emperor.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, I'm not opposed to those ideas but, I do like the idea of alliance factions having the freedom to win their battles and take the loot and use it as they please rather than not being able to grab it. But emperor continuing to not being able to pick up relics is always good. Emperor also needs to be rebuffed to it's original state given the time and effort it takes to become the emperor.

You missed the hidden point behind every alliance only gets 1 at a time. No more stealing it and giving it to the other team on purpose. Or at least cut back on it significantly, because in theory if your weapon has despawned or the player died but nobody picked it back up yet, someone on your alliance could then pick up another.

I don't know, it sounds fun to me. Even if my suggestions aren't the best, I think you have to put thought into balancing it somehow. One emp ball compgroup running around with all 3 won't fly.
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭

You missed the hidden point behind every alliance only gets 1 at a time. No more stealing it and giving it to the other team on purpose. Or at least cut back on it significantly, because in theory if your weapon has despawned or the player died but nobody picked it back up yet, someone on your alliance could then pick up another.

I don't know, it sounds fun to me. Even if my suggestions aren't the best, I think you have to put thought into balancing it somehow. One emp ball compgroup running around with all 3 won't fly.

I didn't miss the point, tbh it was something I already considered before making the post. After giving it thought, I chose the freedom route rather than restricting the rewards for winning, even if I was on the losing side. Tbh even if they did do it that way, I'm fine with that too, but I'm just speaking on the side I'm leaning towards.
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I do, It kind of sucks when you're playing as a tank and a healer and you see the dps relic drop, and you know to stay away from that relic because your build would make poor use of it. There's more to just DPS in this game, and pvp should appeal to all roles, not just DPS, DPS is fun and all, but so is tanking and Healing.

There's just nothing based around Tanks and Healer's in pvp unfortunately. In addition, PVP healing got nerfed because you can no longer heal player outside of your team even if they're on your alliance. Not every healer finds a group in pvp. There's a lot of issues going on there, but changing the dynamic would make the game extremely fun especially since cyrodiil has not changed in so long.

Wheter You are healer tank or DD before picking it, You will end up with the same max stats and ability tooltips after You pick Volendrung up.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't miss the point, tbh it was something I already considered before making the post. After giving it thought, I chose the freedom route rather than restricting the rewards for winning, even if I was on the losing side. Tbh even if they did do it that way, I'm fine with that too, but I'm just speaking on the side I'm leaning towards.

Ah, fair enough. Well I consider things like boosting, dumping scrolls in the water, handing other alliances volundrung, and jumping off trees to get into castles to be cheating. And cheating is also something that free will produces. So the only additions to the game I'd be willing to support are ones that aren't easily exploitable.
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭

Ah, fair enough. Well I consider things like boosting, dumping scrolls in the water, handing other alliances volundrung, and jumping off trees to get into castles to be cheating. And cheating is also something that free will produces. So the only additions to the game I'd be willing to support are ones that aren't easily exploitable.

I considered that, so for the boosting aspect, I don't feel like players would use the relics to boost, but farming I can see, as the two are different. Boosting is something players would have to do in secret but the relics automatically giving off it's location constantly and players following it would make that impossible to farm unless someone got everyone in every alliance to work together which I don't see happening.

The scrolls in the water have been annoying at times but knowing that it resets back to it's last secured location rather than back home behind an alliance gate seems pretty balanced since players can't just steal it back and drop it in the water to avoid the long haul back. Also during the time it's in the water, nobody gets a buff.

That tree jumping to get into castles I've never seen, you've gotta show me that one, it sounds interesting. 🤔

I can definitely understand your view points for sure though!
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @King_*** I didn't necessarily mean the weapons could be used for all that I was just listing exploitable features of cyrodiil. But don't get me wrong I like your idea. And I appreciate your understanding.

There was a tree near Gladesmyst that people were using to do like a mounted doublejump from a hill to a branch to a tower. I doubt you'll get a chance to see it because the tree has been removed.

Anyway good luck to you and your idea. They said there would be more artifact weapons so I hope one day there are.
  • King_Jude
    King_Jude
    ✭✭✭
    Oh wow that tree jumping would definitely be some MLG aspects, kinda reminds me of MLG jumping in Halo. Sad I didn't get to see it tbh.

Also I'm glad you've had a positive outlook on what I was weighing in within this post, and glad to see you like the ideas.

Thanks for the good luck, I suppose we will just have to wait and see what they do. This response was more so refreshing in comparison to one of my other forum posts about the economy. Lol