Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Am I good to go into the harder and dlc dungeons without reading up on them?

Smackosynthesis
Smackosynthesis
✭✭✭
Playing healer. Do I need to know about dungeon mechanics and gimmicks beforehand or should I be good to go blind? On normal. And using dungeon finder
Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 17, 2022 5:57PM
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not for base game dungeons, no. Most of them are pretty easy on Normal, but of course that's subjective and it depends on what sort of players wind up in your group. If you're fairly experienced, or get grouped with others who are, you should be able to breeze through Normal base game dungeons well enough. If you don't have much experience and get grouped with others who also aren't, then you might have a harder time. If you're not too experienced yet or have a build that doesn't continue a lot of DPS, then it wouldn't hurt to pull up a guide once you know what dungeon you'll be going to, just in case.
    Edited by Arunei on December 17, 2022 7:22AM
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • Smackosynthesis
    Smackosynthesis
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I'm into reading up on stuff in the dungeon before going into them with randoms, is what I was getting at
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On normal you should be fine for the most part. Pay attention to the traps, mobs, minibosses, etc leading up to the big bosses, they often have similar mechanics you can expect to see in the upcoming boss fights (for example 1 of the bosses in frostvault, there are moving laser traps on the walls in the lead up to that boss fight which shows the mechanics of those lasers, how they can be blocked by standing behind a wall/obsticle etc).

Reading guides on them will always help, as will paying attention to what is happening while running through the dungeon, but for the most part on normal at least you should be fine.

If in doubt, just let your group know that it's a first run or something, most will be willing to help explain anything that needs watching out for.
  • Smackosynthesis
    Smackosynthesis
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I'm into reading up on stuff in the dungeon before going into them with randoms, is what I was getting at

Friends sure, but.. idk I'm new to dungeon stuff in mmos

DAGNABBIT thought I hit edit lol. I'm unfamiliar with how this board works too lol
    Edited by Smackosynthesis on December 17, 2022 7:25AM
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It wouldn't be a bad idea to run dungeons on normal first to get a feel for them as many random players will either be very quick at running through the place killing everything quickly, or struggling with encounters. A lot of the more recent dungeons have an npc on the sidelines shouting what to do or other visuals, but since you're doing things as a healer you don't need to worry so much about priorities to kill/taunt so your job is a bit easier to approach.

In short, I'd suggest trying some on normal, but if you're willing to play with the rng the group finder provides just try to be aware of your surroundings during the fight and keep an eye out of what's happening, and you should be in a good spot to piece together what you need to do to clear the encounter. With some deaths, given the people you'll likely find.
  • OnnuK
    OnnuK
    ✭✭✭
    On normal yes it is good to go without prior experience. (the worst thing can happen is you may have DDs with low DPS, which will increase completion time. But on some random dungeons you should know ESO basics. If there is a platform left and right, and a closed gate, one of you should be on left other should be on right to open it, etc...)

I suggest not to do veteran DLC or Hard Mode DLC without knowing the mechanics.If it was early stages of ESO it was OK, but now players are all runners and no patiance.
    But in order to learn you need a group to progress. So my suggestion is watch a video/read a guide on the mechanics, and find a group that want to progress on the dungeon. Random groups especially on veteran will mostly ruin your enjoyment.
    PC/EU @onnuk, Guild: ANADOLU "|H1:guild:29269|hAnadolu|h"
  • Smackosynthesis
    Smackosynthesis
    ✭✭✭
    I have no intentions of doing any veteran or hard mode stuff at the moment. Just wanna play dungeons and heal without having to research them. On normal dungeon finder
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankly, normal is really not a big deal to go in blind for any of the dungeons. You might die a couple times because you missed a mech, but that's how you learn. For the most part, dungeons aren't gonna punish you with a wipe for mistakes though. So, it's totally fine to just learn as you go in them. It really only becomes a problem when attempting hard mode and other achievements on dlc vets.
  • endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good to know mechanics for anything i thought but you could be observant of them instead i guess, back on console we would just run in there and learn along the way. If you have learnt how to avoid damage by blocking/rolldodging/selfhealing etc. , youll be able to deal with anything in dungeons.😀
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It doesn't hurt to watch a video on it. Many guides are poorly written or lack major details. Some guides are written during PTS and then released when the DLC is released. Many of these guides never change even with updates, and some are even copied or regurgitated from others. Ex. when fighting vet red petal bastion hm on the 3 bosses, it says you can't damage one of them past a certain point- this is not true, they do have an invulnerability phase but it disappears after about 5 minutes. This isn't elaborated on in any guide.

You may be better off asking team mates.
    Edited by Dr_Con on December 17, 2022 2:19PM
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you’ll be fine. Most mechs don’t matter in normal. Even on vet or hm you can go in without watching a video, just please for the love of everything tell group members you don’t know the mechanics so they can explain them to you if they know them. Most people won’t bite and are happy to explain. Not asking for mechanics and dying to them is much more frustrating for the people who know what’s going on. If no one knows them, then can bring up a guide.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not look for a guild that does Dungeons in 'story mode' ie. at a slow pace allowing time to listen to all dialogue, check all the bags and boxes etc etc and will explain the mechanics to you as you go along.

(I have friends that do this fairlyfrequently simply because we like the dungeons and appreciate the artwork and building that goes into them)

If you are on PCEU I believe there is a guild actually called 'Story Mode' with quite a sizeable membership, in this case you already know that people you group with will be pleased to walk you through it.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Smackosynthesis
    Smackosynthesis
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Icy wrote: »
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.

Oh

Anyway

There's no way I could read a guide for ALL of them... And I wouldn't know which one I get if I hit random... I figured the content was balanced for random groups that wouldn't be very cohesive. If I die to something tho or if my group members die to something fishy I'm gonna read up on it

Otherwise I'll just float along, trying to use common sense to get through
    Edited by Smackosynthesis on December 17, 2022 8:51PM
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dungeons with "II" has often some mechanic and DLC dungeons are heavy on mechanics. Without knowledge of this mechanic, it can be very hard to finish, normal difficulty as much as veteran.
    You can use youtube, instead of reading if you wish.
    It is possible to do DLC dungeons without knowing mechanic, but only if there is enough other players in group, who know them. So it is quite risky go to DLC dungeons blindly even if only on normal difficulty.

To be more precise about answered. I looked at dungeons before raid every time and in most cause, I had to save group from wipe in playing mechanics.
    Edited by Elendir2am on December 17, 2022 11:26PM
  • Smackosynthesis
    Smackosynthesis
    ✭✭✭
    Just did Graven Deep blind and I died once to the final boss. I think it was everyone's first time through

I'll read up on pledge dungeon bosses I guess and just go blind into the daily random
  • Justosay
    Justosay
    ✭✭
    Playing healer. Do I need to know about dungeon mechanics and gimmicks beforehand or should I be good to go blind? On normal. And using dungeon finder
    This game (like all the others with the separation of the roles of the tank, dps and healer) is built in such a way that you become a "healer" only in groups and trials, and the vast majority of them are associated with dungeons. So you should rather know the role of the healer in this game. The requirement for knowledge of mechanics is the same as for everyone else...
  • Dangerjoe1982
    Dangerjoe1982
    Soul Shriven
    its a game not a phd. :) you don't need to read up on anything tbh.

if you don't want to meddle with a decent build, just look one up on dotts gaming or a similar site. copy pasta the build and you are ready to clear normal dungeons with no hassle.

just keep doing normals until it eventually 'clicks' (your build and the dungeon mechanics), then try out the vet stuff later. There's not much that will one shot you on normal, so you will learn what hurts and be ready once you at some point feels like trying vet dungeons.
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have ESO+ and I dont play DLC dungeons on regular basis therefore. Everytime I wanted in DLC dungeons, I looked at mechanics. Statistic of group-mates in PUGs, who knew mechanics is this:

All 4 player knew mechanics - never in PUG
    3 players knew mechanics -rare
    2 players knew mechanics - most often
    Only I knew mechanic - rare

I don't think, that when I did all mechanics, my groupmates in PUGs knew I practically carry them, how near they were to wipe, when I was only one who did all mechanics. Only few of mechanics kill ignorant players. I see players attack invulnerable bosses all the time for example.

So make at least minimal research to be sure, there will be minimally one players in group, who knows mechanics.
  • Smackosynthesis
    Smackosynthesis
    ✭✭✭
    its a game not a phd. :) you don't need to read up on anything tbh.

if you don't want to meddle with a decent build, just look one up on dotts gaming or a similar site. copy pasta the build and you are ready to clear normal dungeons with no hassle.

just keep doing normals until it eventually 'clicks' (your build and the dungeon mechanics), then try out the vet stuff later. There's not much that will one shot you on normal, so you will learn what hurts and be ready once you at some point feels like trying vet dungeons.

Yeah like I said I'll read up SOME on the dlc dungeons or whatever for the pledge, other than that I ain't reading anything. If I gotta research everything before hand I'll just do something else
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would say going into vet DLC dungeons without looking at a guide first is a mistake. Most of the DLC dungeons do not properly teach mechanics, nor do they show you what the one-shot is, where it comes from, or how to avoid it. Falkreath Hold and Mazzatun are two primary examples where you can burn through group-wiping mechanics on normal that will kill you on vet. Then there are ones like Graven Deep and March of Sacrifices which ramp up the damage to truly punish failure to follow mechanics and add in weird features and more hostile adds. Finally, there are ones like Maarselok and Depths of Malatar that are much, much longer than their normal version because of the adds and damage needed on the bosses

I don't think you need to treat it like a test, but I doo look at guides before jumping in and I like to have the guide open when I am doing a vet DLC for the first time
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if you are talking about random pugs on normal, base game is safe enough. There will be groups that are so inexperienced that they trigger mechanics you don't usually see, but those are rare. For DLC even, sadly, ones as easy as White Gold Tower, yes you should have an idea of the mechanics. The last boss on WGT is easy if you know the mechanics but a party wipe if you don't.

I have little notebook with key mechanics I keep next to me so I don't have to remember them (sooo many now...). It helps.

PS5/NA
  • Diminish
    Diminish
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Go blind, never let anyone dictate what you do in game.
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want it can be helpful to read up on the DLC dungeons. People make these unnecessarily difficult by not paying attention to any mechs.
    I've had the last laugh when having a dps say they don't need to pay attention to mechs on normal - and promptly die because they ignored them completely.
    A lot of mechs you'll learn to recognise with experience. For example if the boss is protected, there is probably something else you need to kill or do to remove its protection. If an enemy has red lines coming out of it, it usually needs to be bashed/interupted.
    Listening to the NPC's advice - turn on display it as text - helps.

btw "Go blind, never let anyone dictate what you do in game." - this is dictating to the OP to "Go blind"!! What if they don't want to? @Diminish