The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Public Dungeons and Mini-Dungeons - DEVS! PLEASE READ.

_subjectnamehere_
_subjectnamehere_
✭✭✭
Hello everyone!

I'm not sure how many of you will agree with my viewpoints, but these are just some of the feelings I have regarding these mini-dungeons and public dungeons.

1. MINI-DUNGEONS. I do not find these very fun or engaging at all simply due to the amount of people in them all at once. I find myself just walking through them while the 5-10 others around me kill everything within seconds. Then...I find myself camping the boss spawn point with about 10-15 other people standing there, get one little hit on the boss once he spawns, and I get a dungeon completion notice plus an achievement. Seriously, Zenimax? MY SUGGESTION: make these solo-instanced encounters. One person could do it alone, and if they can't, tweak it just a bit so it is do-able. OR, at the very least, give us a choice...enter it as a solo instance or enter it as a public encounter.

2. PUBLIC DUNGEONS. These, I can sort of understand why they are public...yes, you do need a group. Understandable. However, as it stands right now, the achievements are near-impossible to earn. Not only do the bosses spawn ridiculously slow, but you have to be the one to get the killing blow in order for it to count? ZENIMAX, wasn't one of your main selling points for this game "everyone gets credit for helping each other out?" If my group of four takes down a boss, I want credit for it. Why should I have to kill the boss four times with my group, making sure everyone gets a killing blow? MY SUGGESTION: change the spawn timers on these bosses and allow all players to get the achievement when the boss goes down. If you are worried about overcrowding in the dungeon, then make it instanced, like your other group dungeons. These public dungeons already have a story quest in them (some of them more than one) so just...instance them. OR, instance them, and have it be for a group of two instead...perfect for people who want to get in and out quickly.

Just my opinions, everyone. I hope some developers see this. What do you all think?
Edited by _subjectnamehere_ on April 28, 2014 6:06AM
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well , i would rather actually all dungeons were open , to put it simple , i dont enjoy stopping and then having to find a group to enter a dungeon at all. I never really had to do that for any open dungeon , since there are always people there , and usually when players meet , we work together and help each other out even without words being exchanged.

But that is my opinion.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • wakeboarder3780
    I was going to make my own post, but this post says almost exactly what I came to say with a few caveats. First let me say I'm a long time fan of the series, been playing since Morrowind and I love ES!

That being said I have to agree with the OP, the public dungeons were a great concept that just doesn't pan out in the real world. There are SO many people trying to play through the dungeon that you're lucky if you can even fully kill a mob without someone else swooping in and demolishing them. It's far worse when you get to the "boss". I have been through many public dungeons and there are always at LEAST 3 people camping the boss (not bots - real actual people that just want to fight the boss alone). But inevitably the boss spawns and everyone attacks - so the "boss" dies in 1 second. You can't fix this problem with removing bots. The problem is caused by legitimate people trying to play the game.

My plea is this - either make MANY more group instanced dungeons, or please just make the public dungeons group instanced. There is simply not enough group instanced content that gives me format that I can play with my group of friends without it being ruined by other people just trying to play the game.

Also, you don't have a section for my next comment so I'll say it here. Please also group instance the bosses for quests. You guys already have a great setup - all quests seem to have bosses in little houses, or little caves that could EASILY be group instanced. I can't tell you how many times my wife and I have done all the leg work to complete a quest (bread and butter of ES series), only to enter a house / cave that has the quest boss and immediately be told I completed a quest because somewhere in the house / cave another group of people just killed the quest boss. We have even waited outside for people to leave and then SPRINTED through houses trying to find the boss only to have someone come up behind us and slaughter the boss for us.

What is the point to doing all the leg work in quests to build up to having to fight a quest boss only to have it immediately completed by some other people just trying to play the game? I am honestly wondering what is really left for me in this game. public dungeons are broken. Quests are broken. The only thing that supports group play is group instanced dungeons and there is only one on each continent.

The main quest and guild quests are instanced - but only solo instanced so i cant play those with my wife / friends either. Currently this game doesn't cater to people would want to play with friends, barely caters to people that want to play solo (main and guild quests), and MOSTLY caters to people who play with no friends, want mobs and bosses to die immediately with no effort, and want quests to automatically complete after having done the grunt work of running around.

PLEASE fix this soon. It's ruining the entire game and the hope that you'll fix it is the only reason I'm continuing to play.

Also random side note, a lot of your dungeons are copy / pastes of other dungeons. I understand the value in that to get the game out the door, but I really hope you plan to re-design the dungeons later. I just ran the orc finger pub dungeon with my wife last night and it was the EXACT layout of the early mages guild quest where you have to gather 4 books. Same goes for your towers. I have ran up to the top of every tower to explore for hidden goodies at the top only to find every single tower is the exact copy paste of the previous. Run up the spiral steps, jump the gap at the top to go higher, then jump up on the slanted section to get to the very top only to find.. no goodies. This is all minor compared to the top section stuff. Fix this after the top stuff.

I really hope the devs are reading this...
    Edited by wakeboarder3780 on April 28, 2014 1:01PM
  • Tanabe
    Tanabe
    i think the "mini-dungeon" are way to easy, and i had hoped they were hard as hell when i started the game and heard about em, but no as OP say you can run all the way to the boss and not see 1 mob, and then stand and wait on the final boss.
    the public dungeons was finally abit of what i had hoped for in the mini dungeons, its good and hard specaily in the Vet zones.

i said it befor they can easy up mobs to be 500% hardere all over the vet zones, so players well grp up alot more, and not be them here mindless zombies that run from one quest to the next, force us to grp up so we can be more social with each other.
  • Armoril
    Armoril
    ✭✭✭
    Not only do the bosses spawn ridiculously slow, but you have to be the one to get the killing blow in order for it to count? ZENIMAX, wasn't one of your main selling points for this game "everyone gets credit for helping each other out?" If my group of four takes down a boss, I want credit for it. Why should I have to kill the boss four times with my group, making sure everyone gets a killing blow? think?

That's not even how it works. You just have to deal damage to them at all, and you will get the achievement for finishing the dungeon. To me, it sounds like you aren't landing any hits on the boss. There are NO enemies in the game that require you to land a finishing blow on them to credit you with the kill. All you need to do is hit them once. You can do that, right?

• _subjectnamehere_
    _subjectnamehere_
    ✭✭✭
    Not only do the bosses spawn ridiculously slow, but you have to be the one to get the killing blow in order for it to count? ZENIMAX, wasn't one of your main selling points for this game "everyone gets credit for helping each other out?" If my group of four takes down a boss, I want credit for it. Why should I have to kill the boss four times with my group, making sure everyone gets a killing blow? think?

That's not even how it works. You just have to deal damage to them at all, and you will get the achievement for finishing the dungeon. To me, it sounds like you aren't landing any hits on the boss. There are NO enemies in the game that require you to land a finishing blow on them to credit you with the kill. All you need to do is hit them once. You can do that, right?
    Yes, I can. And I do hit them. A lot.
    But, I don't get credit for the kill or an achievement. I read somewhere that you need a killing blow to get credit for the kill.

I might be mistaken, and it just might have been bugged or something. Thank you for your comments!
  • frnor
    frnor
    All of the indoor/underground areas seem to be overcrowded. And when many of these places are so small and narrow, even 2 or 3 people is enough to ruin the experiences when they enter at the same time.

And it seems to be impossible to fight normally in these places when other players are attacking everything they can target regardless of whether someone else is already fighting it.

The bosses usually also haw some dialogue the call out when they are being attacked that is supposed to add a bit of drama to the fight. But it ends up feeling kind of meaningless when you have heard the same dialogue over and over again by the time you actually reach the boss. since it is being attacked and killed constantly.

Most of these places feel like they were designed for one player or a small group of players working together. and if they want to have more people inside at the same time they should at least make sure that people don't enter at the same time and that the time between entry is long enough to allow mobs to re spawn. And they should make sure that there are absolutely no reason for people to hang around after the boss is killed.
  • Mothanos
    Mothanos
    ✭✭✭
    A simple fix would be !!!!!
    An option to go solo or public !!!!
    On / Off !!!!

I am a genius !!!
  • Enundr
    Enundr
    ✭✭✭
    frnor wrote: »
    All of the indoor/underground areas seem to be overcrowded. And when many of these places are so small and narrow, even 2 or 3 people is enough to ruin the experiences when they enter at the same time.

And it seems to be impossible to fight normally in these places when other players are attacking everything they can target regardless of whether someone else is already fighting it.

The bosses usually also haw some dialogue the call out when they are being attacked that is supposed to add a bit of drama to the fight. But it ends up feeling kind of meaningless when you have heard the same dialogue over and over again by the time you actually reach the boss. since it is being attacked and killed constantly.

Most of these places feel like they were designed for one player or a small group of players working together. and if they want to have more people inside at the same time they should at least make sure that people don't enter at the same time and that the time between entry is long enough to allow mobs to re spawn. And they should make sure that there are absolutely no reason for people to hang around after the boss is killed.

the issue is , none of the mobs scale to how many players are that other mmos seem to be trying to adopt without screwing the playerbase over (like from loot for example , like how GW2 does if you want to see why THAT is such a "great" idea) , if they did that bots would have gotten screwed over a little with other players there , as well as mobs not being insta gibbed as they were / still are. the change needed wasnt lootlockout , it was better mob scaling. the poorer decision was made here , the decision that kills games. can try to deny it all you want , just go look at GW2 if you want to see why this idea is NOT good at all for an mmo setting , GW2 only keeps the amount of players it has by being free to play. either the system needs to get changed back and maybe add mob scaling or the game will have to go F2P , that is what will happen at this point whether you like it or not. your dealing with an mmo community , not just a single player ES group , as well as YOUR NOT PLAYING SINGLE PLAYER , STOP HAVING THE EXPECTATION OF SINGLE PLAYER.
  • Asuna_Meow
    Asuna_Meow
    ✭✭✭
    I'm adding to this... I have no idea WHY they made it so you have to be the last person to get the hit on the target before it dies... that's just dumb it forces us to have to go in there over and over killing the same boss over and over just to get the achievement. I can understand wanting to stretch the content out but as it stands right now we ill be in the same dungeons for weeks if not months trying to finish one achievement.
    Meow
  • Alpha_Protocol
    Alpha_Protocol
    ✭✭✭
    1) No you don't need a killing blow to get credit. You do have to use your highest burst damage ability when there are people camping the boss though, if you want loot.

2) I agree that the public "solo" dungeons are completely broken and should be instanced to players/groups.

3) Group "instanced" dungeons a la"Spindleclutch" etc., are what MMO's are all about. If you're unfamiliar with group dungeons, or the min-maxing and degree of intense preparation that's involved with high level end-game content, you're in for a rude awakening.