The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Public Dungeon Solo

Harold_Hedd
Harold_Hedd
✭✭✭
Hi, is it correct, that when doing a public dungeon solo I do not get credit for the bosses I kill alone ?

It seems that when others join in, I get the credit, but not always when I finish them aslone.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 16, 2022 11:13AM
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should get a credit both alone and grouped, if not that's something else going on.
  • Harold_Hedd
    Harold_Hedd
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, thanks. I will be more aware in the next one, but they do not show on the map as completed so far.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Okay, thanks. I will be more aware in the next one, but they do not show on the map as completed so far.
    I've found that quite often the map won't update immediately, i.e. the boss icons won't change from black to white until after you've left the dungeon and then go back in. I don't know why, though. Even if the icons don't update immediately, you should get the achievement notifications when you kill most / all the bosses in the dungeon.
    Edited by vsrs_au on December 15, 2022 9:51AM
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • joergino
    joergino
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do your achievements list the group boss as completed? And did you get the skill point?

As was already said - the map doesn't update instantly, only when you leave and re-enter the public dungeon.
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    I've found that quite often the map won't update immediately, i.e. the boss icons won't change from black to white until after you've left the dungeon and then go back in. I don't know why, though. Even if the icons don't update immediately, you should get the achievement notifications when you kill most / all the bosses in the dungeon.

Yeah, this happens to me all the time, as well. And it seems to be happening ever since one of this year's updates.
    Just happened with Zenithar's Abbey a few minutes ago, in fact.
    But next time I go in there, all of the boss icons should be white.

And like you mentioned, the achievement tallies do update properly, so if one is ever in doubt, just check the 'Conqueror' achievement tally for that dungeon as you take down each boss.
    Edited by Grizzbeorn on December 15, 2022 11:14AM
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • Thunderclap
      Thunderclap
      ✭✭✭
      If I remember correctly, Boss loot has a timer of 5 minutes. If the boss is killed again within the 5 minutes, then there is no loot. Maybe that was the reason.
      PC EU - PVP - CP 2300+Win 10 Home 64-bit - 32GB - SSD 1000GBIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHzNVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    • Zodiarkslayer
      Zodiarkslayer
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Public Dungeon Bosses have internal cooldowns, but can still be spawned by a "newbie" player. That is a legacy mechanic from before account wide achievements.
      This will result in no drops when the Boss is defeated and (I think) also "queing the defeat" news until the cooldown is over. Which explains the delay between defeat and update.

... Accountwide Achievements.... 😔
      read, think and write.In that order.
    • berunhieyes
      berunhieyes
      ✭✭✭
      I'm not sure this is your problem, but public dungeons won't appear as complete on the map unless you complete the quest(s) in them.
    • Necrotech_Master
      Necrotech_Master
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

the map will usually update if you "zoom out" (go up a level to say the zone map) then close the map and reopen it while still in the dungeon to get the dungeon map back
      plays PC/NA
      handle @Necrotech_Master
      active player since april 2014
    • kargen27
      kargen27
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Public Dungeon Bosses have internal cooldowns, but can still be spawned by a "newbie" player. That is a legacy mechanic from before account wide achievements.
      This will result in no drops when the Boss is defeated and (I think) also "queing the defeat" news until the cooldown is over. Which explains the delay between defeat and update.

Account wide achievements is bad for a variety of reasons but what the OP is describing was happening long before account wide achievements became a thing. Not getting loot from bosses on a timer has been around long before account wide achievements also.
      and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
    • Harold_Hedd
      Harold_Hedd
      ✭✭✭
      Okay, thanx for the insights - again, I didn't know all this, but I will try it out.
    • Zodiarkslayer
      Zodiarkslayer
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      kargen27 wrote: »

Account wide achievements is bad for a variety of reasons but what the OP is describing was happening long before account wide achievements became a thing. Not getting loot from bosses on a timer has been around long before account wide achievements also.

🙄
      ... That is a legacy mechanic from before account wide achievements ....
      read, think and write.In that order.
    • Snamyap
      Snamyap
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭

I was always under the assumption that the timer is on the player, not the bosses. To prevent high dps players from farming too efficiently .Would be weird if you get "punished" for the action of other players.
    • ZOS_Icy
      ZOS_Icy
      mod
      Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Players Helping Players section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
      Staff Post
    • Veinblood1965
      Veinblood1965
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I thought it would complete if you just killed the main GROUP boss? I'm almost certain of it, I'll check it out on one of my new toons when I get home.
    • Necrotech_Master
      Necrotech_Master
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I thought it would complete if you just killed the main GROUP boss? I'm almost certain of it, I'll check it out on one of my new toons when I get home.

the group boss is required for the skill point

but if your talking about making the map icon change from black to white, for a public dungeon you have to do the quest associated with the dungeon in addition to killing all of the bosses
      plays PC/NA
      handle @Necrotech_Master
    • vsrs_au
      vsrs_au
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭

the map will usually update if you "zoom out" (go up a level to say the zone map) then close the map and reopen it while still in the dungeon to get the dungeon map back
      I tried that myself today, and it works every time. :) I only have to zoom out then zoom in to make an icon change from black to white, I don't have to reopen the map.
      PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
    • Harold_Hedd
      Harold_Hedd
      ✭✭✭
      I also found out about the group boss - and everything seems okay now with skill points and quests.

Additionaly I had a new experience yesterday, when I hurried to a Dolmen to join in from the beginning and was attacked by the cultists and then realized that I was the only one present.....that was a rough one to get through.

I had to cheat in the sense that I ran to the orbs to be ready to close them 3 times while I resurected, but man - that was brutal.
      I definately nedd to learn more about how to deal more damage if I am to take on Dolmens alone or world bosses.

I also got a quest that turned out to be a Trial for Divyath Fyr in Clockwork City, and that was completely impossible to deal with alone. I guess there is only so much one can do playing solo :)
    • ghastley
      ghastley
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Additionaly I had a new experience yesterday, when I hurried to a Dolmen to join in from the beginning and was attacked by the cultists and then realized that I was the only one present.....that was a rough one to get through.
      If you turn up at the beginning, the number of enemies scales to the number of players, so it's not so bad. To really get overwhelmed, you turn up after a group of players has started the dolmen, and then fled!
    • Harold_Hedd
      Harold_Hedd
      ✭✭✭
      ghastley wrote: »
      If you turn up at the beginning, the number of enemies scales to the number of players, so it's not so bad. To really get overwhelmed, you turn up after a group of players has started the dolmen, and then fled!

Awesome behavior...... :)
    • Necrotech_Master
      Necrotech_Master
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ghastley wrote: »

Awesome behavior...... :)

i have actually seen newer players die fighting dolmens, and then they wayshrine to rez (possibly because they dont have soul gems), and not all dolmens are near wayshrines lol

edit to add: i honestly could not tell the enemy scaling, if too many players are there i barely even see the enemies spawn as they are insta killed, and solo i can still clear a dolmen in about 5 min lol
      Edited by Necrotech_Master on December 22, 2022 4:47PM
      plays PC/NA
      handle @Necrotech_Master