Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Frozen loading screen and crashes.... still.... - UPDATE!!!

Meurto
Meurto
✭✭✭
I came back about two weeks ago to try the new DLC after tanking about a month or two break and was welcomed with constant crashes and frozen loading screens. It didn't take long to find out there were a number of issues related to the new DLC and particularly addons. I followed the advice I found and disabled all addons and still faced near constant crashes and frozen loading screens. I found additional information and will outline below the series of steps I have taken to try and resolve this.

Disabled all addons - still getting crashes and frozen loading screens.
Deleted saved variables and addons folder - fewer crashes, but still frozen loading screens nearly half the time
Repaired the ESO client - fewer crashes, but still frozen loading screens nearly half the time
Fresh install of ESO - a couple crashes, but still the bloody frozen loading screen.

I have also updated all my drivers, but I still cannot get past these frozen loading screens. I have to close down the application in the task manager and after doing this 4 or 5 times I just give up as it becomes extremely frustrating. I am really sort of at a loss at this point on what to do next other than just stop playing. Hoping someone (maybe even ZOS?) can help me out here.

UPDATE

So I managed to resolve this issue and it was entirely by accident. I have an Asus laptop that sits on a stand with a cooler that plugs into a usb port on the laptop. A few days ago one of the fans was making a lot of noise so I decided to unplug it and just is it as a stand without the extra fans. Ever since unplugging the cooler I have had NO instances of infinite loading screens or crashes. I don't know how/why the stand was causing the issues, but I am 99% sure this was the issue.
Edited by Meurto on December 21, 2022 8:19AM
  • Meurto
    Meurto
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin or anyone? Getting rather desperate.
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, mine is a different issue.

Mine crashes to 'program not responding' when I close it down.

That just started since the last update this week.

But I really hope you get yours fixed sooner.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • Meurto
    Meurto
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot believe that I am the only one facing this issue. I tried again to reinstall and still get frozen loading screens (can hear music, but icon stops spinning) 80% of the time.
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use the addon “Bug catcher” that prevents most issues with addons after patches. My loading screen freezes ever since U35 but only for a few seconds and then loads. Since you are crashing I suggest to run Windows update, restart your PC, run a command prompt as an admin and check your windows installation for errors and corrupted files with the command sfc /scannow
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Hi!

We've gone ahead and moved this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic, PC Technical Support.

Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This seems like a driver issue, but as you have already updated those, something else must be going on. Make sure to download a new driver version as soon as it is available, just in case the current driver version may be causing the issues.

Some things to try, in the most likely order of causes:

-If you have an SSD harddrive, wait atleast 10 seconds after closing ANY program/application(even non-ESO programs/applications) before you reboot or shut down your computer. Do this for a few days, while using the computer normally. Why? ... SSD's have the habit of moving files around, based on most used. So when you reboot or shut down your computer before the file-moving finishes, it can cause the program itself(ESO) to not find those files, or find the needed files to be incomplete. Don't worry, nothing is damaged if you did do this, but in order to let the SSD finish the moving process, you need to use those files again, and then it will complete the transfers. So keep playing ESO, and the more often you re-start/use ESO, the quicker it gets (near) fixed. Though it might take about a week before it is fully fixed(depending on how often you use ESO), but you should get less and less issues in the meanwhile.(Assuming this is the issue)

-Make sure your internet connection is stable, and does not drop out for even a microsecond. When your internetconnection drops during a loading screen, this can cause you to be either disconnected or to cause infinite loading screens.

-You haven't posted any specs, but if you have an Nvidia GPU, disable Geforce Experience before running ESO.

-If you use an anti-virus, make sure it does not scan ESO's files during use. As this may cause issues such as yours.

Hopefully one of these things helps, goodluck!
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Meurto

Thanks for listing the troubleshooting you've already tried. At this point we recommend opening a ticket with customer support for further assistance.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post