Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

[Firesong Spoilers?] Wait, so Razum-dar....?

Recremen
Recremen
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Wait, so Razum-dar is bi?
i0uynm9klsd9.png

So while finishing up some quests on Galen, I noticed this post-quest line Raz gives. I've always suspected the rascal was too much of a horndog to only be playing for one team, but does this confirm it? He also has a tendency of affectionately calling the PC "kitten", and in the next line from this one mentions the desire to curl up at your feet and fall asleep, so I think this might seal the deal, as it were.

<title edited to remove possible spoiler>
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on December 12, 2022 8:57PM
Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I didn't read your post, but just scrolled down to type this small request: please don't include spoilers in the thread title.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. That's probably the spoiler. I don't like it because their bisexual characters are almost all lusty rogues who won't settle down. And now pretty much all of their major lusty rogues are bisexuals. It's a common stereotype that is overrepresented in media.

I think they need more characters like Aurelia and not just slap a line like this on a character just because they don't want to settle down. But, that's just me.

At least he's a very likable character, and besides that one issue, is a generally positive bisexual character. So, that part is cool.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 12, 2022 8:52PM
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've said it in other threads before they descended into bickering and were deleted...(so hopefully we can be careful here), I personally love this reveal, and it's made quite a few of my ESO friends happy as well.

I think this makes him the most prominent bi male character in the story. I also find him a lot more tolerable than Jakarn, who in my opinion comes across as grossly insincere. In speaking about Jakarn with others, I found both men and women I play with ultimately disliking Jakarn - even if they initially like him after the first few times they get complimented. I feel a much greater and more positive bond with Raz as someone who completed the Dominion zones in their entirety.

((Not saying Jakarn is a bad character, he's still entertaining and there are people just like this IRL.))
    Edited by AScarlato on December 12, 2022 8:57PM
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • rauyran
    rauyran
    ✭✭✭✭
    We get this thread about once every 3 days now. Can we merge some?
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rauyran wrote: »
    We get this thread about once every 3 days now. Can we merge some?

There were 2 before this one that I've seen; both were removed.
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AFAIK no character with dialogue does care about gender of player character. I suspect it's for making things simple than anything else. Poor Raz lost in a tunnel blathering confused dialog is just sad.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Yes. That's probably the spoiler. I don't like it because their bisexual characters are almost all lusty rogues who won't settle down. And now pretty much all of their major lusty rogues are bisexuals. It's a common stereotype that is overrepresented in media.
    Yeah I want to second this. I kinda hate it to be honest.

I also feel like it might be due to a ''make the character more interactive with the player's character'' problem, where the character is only bisexual because the writers want increased interactivity with the player which includes flirting with them (see: Jakarn, Naryu), and for that to be possible, the NPC has to be bisexual to account for whatever gender the player picks for their character. Here Razum-dar isn't flirting with the player character, but yeah.

And this isn't a specifically ESO gripe either, I've heard people criticize a bunch of other games for having characters that interact with the main character a lot be bisexual for seemingly this reason. I'm not saying that's definitely why Razum-dar for example is bi, but it happens so much in general that it feels like it.
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    .And this isn't a specifically ESO gripe either, I've heard people criticize a bunch of other games for having characters that interact with the main character a lot be bisexual for seemingly this reason. I'm not saying that's definitely why Razum-dar for example is bi, but it happens so much in general that it feels like it.

Player sexual characters are generally only bi for the player character, and otherwise either don't have their sexuality addressed or depicted in heterosexual characters outside of the player.

Raz being into a male that is not the player doesn't feel like that to me, at all. We can't romance any of the ESO characters, so their flirting is pointless. And the bi-characters are generally speaking presented that way in game. I think the only reason Raz feels that way is because it's a departure from how he's been depicted this entire time. He's never been shy about his lusty thoughts, even when it is completely inappropriate to be discussing them. He's even been reprimanded in front of us for it.

So the idea this isn't a new thing seems less believable than if it they were to say have Fennorian make an offhand remark that revealed he's bisexual. That's why it feels that way imo, but it's not an example of him being player sexual.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 12, 2022 10:34PM
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raz is a charismatic special forces hero protecting his country from threats that include monsters from beyond this world. Oh, and he's also quite, say, lusty. Damn, he's Tamriel's Commander Shepard (who, if memory serves me well, can also be bi).

Someone told me about his being bi a while before Firesong's release (likely learned it on the PTS) and I didn't think too much about it because I thought it was already established he was. Only later did it hit me that this was new, but I guess it didn't feel like news to me.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe the 2023 Q4 "new system" is romancing. Obviously every romanceable NPC would have to go bi.
  • Tazzy
    Tazzy
    ✭✭✭
    To me it feels wrong. If they had portrayed him as bi from the start it would have been ok, but after all these years of Raz adoring women it feels just as absurd to me as James Bond suddenly dating men.
    This one has no regrets *Raz
  • Zyva
    Zyva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just came across this and went to the forumns lol. To see if anyone else had noticed.

I agree with @Tazzy , its weird simply because this entire time, which is a LOT of time, all of the AD campaign etc, he was represented as liking women. It just felt off for his character.

Zyvä (Nightblade) ~ Purricâne (Sorcerer) ~ Boñfürr (Dragonknight) ~ Cätnïp (Warden) ~ Boñespùrr (Necromancer)~ Catsänova (Templar)
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you get this dialog ? Was there a quest I missed I finished the main story and fire song dlc ?
    Is this a side quest ending or something ?
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tazzy wrote: »
    To me it feels wrong. If they had portrayed him as bi from the start it would have been ok, but after all these years of Raz adoring women it feels just as absurd to me as James Bond suddenly dating men.

In his defense, you never asked.

(Plus, it's great news for all the Raz/Pacrooti believers out there.)
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh shiz, there's a Razum-dar quest in Galen? Where do you start it? I didn't do much in Galen since I found it boring, but I gotta go do that one.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    How do you get this dialog ? Was there a quest I missed I finished the main story and fire song dlc ?

It's an end sequence of a side quest involving playing tot, can get one in tavern if missed it.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It's an end sequence of a side quest involving playing tot, can get one in tavern if missed it.

It is possible to do the quest without playing ToT.

If you're going to do this Raz quest I recommend you do it on a male Khajiit, if you can. The language used by Raz is, um... special. Give it a try, Kitten. See how it makes you feel about Raz.
    PC EU
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    There is also a quest in Summerset that might change how one sees him as well.
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh it’s a tales of tribute quest ? Damn I gave up because I’m so bad it :( it’s fun but I never win. I’d definitely play if I could do this quest. How do I find it or start it ? He’s my favorite character.
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is possible to do the quest without playing ToT.

If you're going to do this Raz quest I recommend you do it on a male Khajiit, if you can. The language used by Raz is, um... special. Give it a try, Kitten. See how it makes you feel about Raz.

Oh ok my main character is a female Khajiit :(
  • Tazzy
    Tazzy
    ✭✭✭
    Tazzy wrote: »

In his defense, you never asked.

(Plus, it's great news for all the Raz/Pacrooti believers out there.)

How do you know I never asked? :)
    I'm told he hates being sent into this direction by the writers. :D
    This one has no regrets *Raz
  • Vvephriel
    Vvephriel
    Soul Shriven
    Oh it’s a tales of tribute quest ? Damn I gave up because I’m so bad it :( it’s fun but I never win. I’d definitely play if I could do this quest. How do I find it or start it ? He’s my favorite character.

if it's any reassurance, I did the quest, tried the game and lost, and it was perfectly okay as Raz will give you an alternative plan if you don't win the card game

I assume the devs wanted people to give it a try but there's no penalty if you're not good at it :)
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vvephriel wrote: »

if it's any reassurance, I did the quest, tried the game and lost, and it was perfectly okay as Raz will give you an alternative plan if you don't win the card game

I assume the devs wanted people to give it a try but there's no penalty if you're not good at it :)

You can also just flat out say "I don't play Tales of Tribute" and he'll move onto plan B.
  • BardokRedSnow
    BardokRedSnow
    ✭✭✭
    Lmao playing for one or more teams doesnt make you more or less of a horndog in any direction, but yea I recently finished this quests and eyes did go wide hearing it.
    Vvephriel wrote: »

You can also just flat out say "I don't play Tales of Tribute" and he'll move onto plan B.

Thank Shor. I get so annoyed when they try shoehorning that in. But yea I get that they want people to give it a try and it extends the life of the game so I said *** it and let it be, since you could ignore it altogether.
  • nerevoryn
    nerevoryn
    ✭✭
    rpa wrote: »
    AFAIK no character with dialogue does care about gender of player character. I suspect it's for making things simple than anything else.

Awfully late but I noticed one of instance of this recently: during HoF's quest, the vestige can tell Divayth that they're a fan of his writing. Divayth will tell male characters that they should then understand how great of an honor it is to see him work firsthand and that they'll get a mention in his next book, while he tells female characters that they have good taste and offers to give them a "private reading". That lecher lmao.
    PCNA. Just mer.