The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

What were your noobie mistakes?

WitchyKiki
WitchyKiki
✭✭✭
I was thinking about the things I did when I was a noobie at the game and here are some of my silliest:

1. I used to think the psijic patron removed the whole card from the opponents deck
2. I thought hlaalu didn't eat the card, it just put it on cooldown. (lol right?)
3. Bewilderment cards didnt count towards Orgnum
4. The first to reach 40 prestige won, imagine my disbelief and irritation when I went on to my first race to 80

I have to say, I have grown a lot with TOT. A lot of the cards that I used to think were weak and useless are actually my most powerful cards to win games. I dont underestimate them anymore.
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buying preorder.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A mistake that I made often and still do from time to time was refusing to buy cards from the tavern out of bias. Time Mastery and Legion's Arrival are a couple of the big ones. I almost always buy them now, but it took a number of games where I saw an opponent successfully drafting these cards for me to figure out that they must be worth buying.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not taking the Rahjin deck seriously enough, especially the agents.

Thinking I was good enough to start playing against other players.

Thinking that the Pelin deck was the best.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought taunt was only good for protecting another agent, didn't realize it also prevented power conversion.

I immediately forgot how to use treasury after doing the tutorial and couldn't understand how the NPCs could buy cards so much easier than me.

Thinking it was imperative to buy a card every turn, regardless of how good it was for my deck.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 8, 2022 5:39AM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not understanding the differences between agents, agents with taunt, contract agents, and contract agents with taunt.
  • sekou_trayvond
    sekou_trayvond
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Early on I treated this game waaaaay too much like Pokemon- u gotta collect them all. You will see marked improvement when you realize you shouldn't be buying whatever's in the Tavern simply cuz u have enough coin for the card(s).
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calling on the Crow patron much too early during matches.

Going on a spending spree with a large amount of Money later in the game when I should have just called on the Crow patron.
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buying too many cards and bloating the deck. Or the opposite, getting rid of too many coins early on rather than converting them to writs. Underestimating Druid King agents, what a nightmare they can be. Also not paying attention to the patrons, if you are both above 40 prestige then the game won't warn you that your opponent is about to win with patrons.
    PC EU
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thinking the Red Eagle deck was largely useless because who wants to destroy their own cards? LOL
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • dark_nick
    dark_nick
    after 4 days of bot eso players matches and levelled my rank to veteran, i tell to myself "ready to compete on ranked ones"
    first matches:
    - 10 matches lost for all-patrons win (bot NEVER use this)
    - 10 matches lost for rajhin (bot NEVER use this)

Now after a week passed on ranked and reached rubedite rank, my hint is only one: if want to master tales of tribute play ranked players AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, and learn strategies from each defeat (and at beginning will be a lot, be assured :)
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dark_nick wrote: »
    after 4 days of bot eso players matches and levelled my rank to veteran, i tell to myself "ready to compete on ranked ones"
    first matches:

Now after a week passed on ranked and reached rubedite rank, my hint is only one: if want to master tales of tribute play ranked players AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, and learn strategies from each defeat (and at beginning will be a lot, be assured :)

The only comment I have about playing against ranked players ASAP is to not take it too hard when your opponents wipe the table with you. No matter how badly you lose and how often, just get right back up on that horse or you'll never learn to ride.

Of course, this is coming from someone who played against other players for about only one week, and who currently plays exclusively against the NPCs, so I guess I'm not very good at following my own advice! I mean, I'm not interested in trying to work my way up the ranks, and I haven't been very eager to earn a lot of Transmute Crystals because it's been a pain to store them as gear for my mule alts to hold onto. But now that I've pretty much decided to just try to convert my excess Transmute Crystals to Potent Nirncrux or rare Jewelry trait materials-- and with my matches against the NPCs being far too easy most of the time-- I might start playing against other players again.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another of my noob mistakes was underestimating the Hlaalu card that lets you acquire cards that cost up to 5 coins. Many were the matches where I left those cards sitting in the Tavern, only to have the NPC buy them and use them to good effect. Now I'm not so reluctant to buy those cards when they come up.
  • kloverleaf
    kloverleaf
    ✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Calling on the Crow patron much too early during matches.

Going on a spending spree with a large amount of Money later in the game when I should have just called on the Crow patron.

Yup, exactly this.
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭
    first matches:

The only comment I have about playing against ranked players ASAP is to not take it too hard when your opponents wipe the table with you. No matter how badly you lose and how often, just get right back up on that horse or you'll never learn to ride.

Of course, this is coming from someone who played against other players for about only one week, and who currently plays exclusively against the NPCs, so I guess I'm not very good at following my own advice! I mean, I'm not interested in trying to work my way up the ranks, and I haven't been very eager to earn a lot of Transmute Crystals because it's been a pain to store them as gear for my mule alts to hold onto. But now that I've pretty much decided to just try to convert my excess Transmute Crystals to Potent Nirncrux or rare Jewelry trait materials-- and with my matches against the NPCs being far too easy most of the time-- I might start playing against other players again.

I know I've been playing on and off, but how do you turn transmutes into nirn or other trait materials? or do you just mean changing the trait on a piece of equipment?
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WitchyKiki wrote: »
    first matches:

I know I've been playing on and off, but how do you turn transmutes into nirn or other trait materials? or do you just mean changing the trait on a piece of equipment?

make level 1 weapon, transmute to nirnhoned, decon

if you have all the passives and cp to maximize your chance to get materials, you will most likely get the nirncrux out of the decon

same principle can work for jewelry, but far far less efficiently (because when you decon jewelry, you only get 1 "grain" of the trait material and need 10 of those to make a useable jewelry trait material)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭
    WitchyKiki wrote: »
    first matches:

make level 1 weapon, transmute to nirnhoned, decon

if you have all the passives and cp to maximize your chance to get materials, you will most likely get the nirncrux out of the decon

same principle can work for jewelry, but far far less efficiently (because when you decon jewelry, you only get 1 "grain" of the trait material and need 10 of those to make a useable jewelry trait material)

looool I feel so silly now ._. thank you
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not exactly a noobie mistake, because I'm not sure I ever did it early on whereas I do it a lot now, is to miss making a potential move because I'm rushing and not paying enough attention.

The most common case is probably when I play the Hlaalu card that lets you call on an extra patron but forget to sacrifice another card or call on one of the other patrons before hitting the timer to end my turn.

I was less likely to be rushing through my turns early on because I was taking my time to look at things more closely, so this has become more common now that I'm much more familiar with the patrons and their dufferent cards and don't feel the need to examine each one when deciding what to do.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not exactly a noobie mistake, because I'm not sure I ever did it early on whereas I do it a lot now, is to miss making a potential move because I'm rushing and not paying enough attention.

The most common case is probably when I play the Hlaalu card that lets you call on an extra patron but forget to sacrifice another card or call on one of the other patrons before hitting the timer to end my turn.

I was less likely to be rushing through my turns early on because I was taking my time to look at things more closely, so this has become more common now that I'm much more familiar with the patrons and their dufferent cards and don't feel the need to examine each one when deciding what to do.

sometimes i intentionally dont use extra patrons, especially if its not the right timing

should or should not use crow?
    do or do not have a card worth sacrificing to hlaalu in that hand?
    do or do not need to use treasury?

etc

the only ones that i would usually always say "yes" to would be rahjin, orgnum, and the reach as there is really no "downside" to them outside of not having enough coin for rahjin or orgnum, or not enough power for reach
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • beenbadder
    beenbadder
    ✭✭
    Thinking that it would be good game when it is just boring rubbish that is not needed in any form.