The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PvP: 150+ Combos Per Turn?

MJ202
MJ202
✭✭✭✭
This is the Readers' Digest, Condensed Version. Trying to accurately describe everything that went on in this match would be difficult and TLDR.

Right from turn one, things didn't appear right or normal. By the last several hands, I was counting every combo played. How is it possible to achieve 150+ combos in a 90 second turn? That's approximately two cards played per second, with every card achieving a combo.
Edited by MJ202 on November 26, 2022 10:23AM
  • Lebkuchen
    Lebkuchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please please please don't call the card game PvP. The words "player versus player" might be technically correct, but it feels so wrong to call a card game PvP while the real PvP is struggling to stay alive.
  • joergino
    joergino
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS calls the card game PvP.
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm gonna guess Druid King deck because I see some people use it in a way my brain cannot comprehend and it's like an unstoppable wall of combos/gold/prestige/power. And I'm left wondering what the heck just happened.

It is not a fun deck to play against. Makes Orgnum patron spam seem somehow less annoying.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't that difficult to achieve, but may still rarely happen just because it's easy to win the game prior to such a big turn.

With either deck thinning by Red Eagle or deck manipulation by the Psijic Loremaster Celarus, it would be fairly easy to setup a big turn with crow combos. Crows have 4 cards that can draw more than one card when combod, so they can give a ton of value. I would mention that Druid King has some large combos too, but it's harder to abuse their good cards to full value just because it takes forever to sit there and buy cards from the tavern over and over.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you use the Red Eagle patron to draw another card, or buy the card that lets you draw another card, it can help you continue on a combo streak if the additional card(s) you draw end up triggering another combo-- even more so if the additional card(s) let you keep drawing cards. And if you have the Hlaalu card that lets you call on an additional patron during your turn, or can buy the card that does the same, it can give you a chance to use the Red Eagle patron again. And if you're able to manipulate your draw pile by using the Psijic cards, and/or whittle your cards down so you can keep playing the same cards over and over again, it can start to get bonkers.

That's not even counting contract cards that you can buy and play instantly, which can help trigger more combos or that let you draw even more cards, or buying cheap "trash" cards that get replaced by much better cards.

Mind you, I've only been able to do some small part of the above during my matches with NPCs, but once in a while a small move such as calling on the Red Eagle patron or buying a contract card that lets me draw another card can result in some really good luck that helps me win the match when I was behind, or win much more decisively when the NPC was not very far behind me. And once I got completely smeared across the table by an NPC who was able to buy some powerful cards early in the game, and who then proceeded to acquire a lot of money cards, power cards, and Crow cards, with the result that the final round consisted of the NPC drawing or buying card after card, triggering combo after combo, in a cycle that seemed like it was never going to end, until it did finally end with the NPC getting some outrageous score such as 65 whereas I think my score was still below 15. It was humiliating! :D
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember that Druid combos overlap. If you've multiple Druid agents out then any action could be activating multiple cards and creating multiple combos.
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its solid pvp, but the druid king is the next deck to be nerfed for clear reasons has pointed out.
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna guess Druid King deck because I see some people use it in a way my brain cannot comprehend and it's like an unstoppable wall of combos/gold/prestige/power. And I'm left wondering what the heck just happened.

It is not a fun deck to play against. Makes Orgnum patron spam seem somehow less annoying.

Counter it with the blue for agent removal and red for power or and use the druid patron to get rid of agents.
    The big things the druid needs is the patron on his side and agents, which the druid agents are often only 1 power away from getting kicked out. (except chimera he will get with a 4 combo if patron in his favour)
    You use the blue to get rid of the agents if you can and have spare coins, use power other times.
    Thing is with druid to use it effectively they need to focus on that only set, which you can get rid of using the druid patron.
    Also the blue cooldown cards really increase the patrons usage. Gotta be careful.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »

Counter it with the blue for agent removal and red for power or and use the druid patron to get rid of agents.
    The big things the druid needs is the patron on his side and agents, which the druid agents are often only 1 power away from getting kicked out. (except chimera he will get with a 4 combo if patron in his favour)
    You use the blue to get rid of the agents if you can and have spare coins, use power other times.
    Thing is with druid to use it effectively they need to focus on that only set, which you can get rid of using the druid patron.
    Also the blue cooldown cards really increase the patrons usage. Gotta be careful.

i would say that rahjin has more anti-agent cards and is more effective to counter druid than psijic

the only anti-agent thing psijic has is the patron, while rahjin has a card dedicated to knocking out at least 2 agents and then another card which knocks out an agent at combo 2
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Druid King + Psijic + Crows

Druid King has combos that earn you gold for putting things in discard, which plays into both Psijic deck shuffling as well as into buying from the tavern, and comboing druid cards.

Psijic also plays into Crows, by allowing you to set up Crow draw combos.

Crows let you draw a ton of cards.

The three together can do a ton of damage. I had a turn once, where I was losing 38 to 5. In one turn, without spending anything on patrons, I jumped from 5 points, to 48 points. All because of those three decks comboing with one another.
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you dislike combo spam from druid and crows just pick Pellin and Hundings and zerg rush your opponent with quick power accumulation. Works a treat.
  • Lunatearz
    Lunatearz
    ✭✭
    guys its not possible to reach 150 combos with the animation time.. one can not possible drw/skip/delete cards that quick in under 90 seconds
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lunatearz wrote: »
    guys its not possible to reach 150 combos with the animation time.. one can not possible drw/skip/delete cards that quick in under 90 seconds

That isn't remotely true. Not all combos have animations tied to them.

Just for example:

From Druid: Whispheart Totem and Chimera, have 3 combo effects each. Both ending with a combo of 4 effect. So, you play 4 druid cards, you automatically get 6 combo effects from these two cards alone, plus you get a combo effect from the patron.
    The other 2 Druid cards likely have their own combos as well. As well as combos from other cards you have in play, like agents that combo off of discard and playing other agents. Druid has a ton of synergistic effects that activate as combos just from doing normal actions, like playing patrons or discarding cards. Even buying agents from the Tavern and placing them into the discard is enough to trigger some of the combos.

You could play a 5 card Druid hand only that has 20 combos alone. Before event getting into combos tied to drawing cards with Crow or discarding cards with Psijic, or the even greater combo opportunities with Rajhin that include drawing cards and give a ton of coin to buy more cards.

Not to mention, a properly maintained Psijic/Crow combo can force draw crow cards, to continue drawing from an discarding your deck, including buying new cards from the Tavern and forcing deck shuffles with the Psijic deck and drawing those brand new bought cards after the shuffle.
  • Lunatearz
    Lunatearz
    ✭✭
    stil need to play the cards and that are animations