The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Who would you pick if given the chance to learn magic from them?

brylars
brylars
✭✭✭
Looking at the entire Elder Scrolls series, wo would be the master wizard that you would see as ideal to learn magic from? No judgement should you should a darker mage.

Who would you pick if given the chance to learn magic from them? 33 votes

Vanus Galerion
15% 5 votes
Mannimarco
6% 2 votes
Divayth Fyr
39% 13 votes
Azra Nightwielder
12% 4 votes
Zurin Arctus
3% 1 vote
Shalidor
21% 7 votes
Kagrenac
3% 1 vote
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure I'd want to learn from that blind man in robes. I'd definitely want to keep my eyesight if I learned magic, so there would be limits for me (Didn't want to spoil the story by mentioning names).
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For pure power, probably divayth. Realistically, Vanus would probably be the best to learn from though, considering he created the mages guild to open up magic to more common folk.
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unlike any of the poll options, Alanwe was an actual teacher, so I would pick her.
  • Birralee
    Birralee
    Soul Shriven
    I'd say the Psijics, but it's arguable whether or not what they do is magic. I'm not so well-versed on the master mages throughout the lore. Do we ever see any grand displays of magical prowess that aren't just the result of some temporary ritual power boost?
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Breton, Azra Nightwielder, fo sho. Mysterious and intriguing, with a mastery of a type of magic few others even know about.

I accidently picked Arctus, who would be my second favourite since Daggerfall- I thought he was epic and the most deserving of the Mantellan Crux- until Oblivion locked him into being somewhat evil.
    Edited by Supreme_Atromancer on December 20, 2022 2:35AM
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect Divayth Fyr knows more than the others. On the other hand, he’s the mosr likely to keep it to himself. Vanus is the best chance of actually learning something from him, and you are the limiting factor, after all. Can you handle the knowledge?
  • brylars
    brylars
    ✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    I suspect Divayth Fyr knows more than the others. On the other hand, he’s the mosr likely to keep it to himself. Vanus is the best chance of actually learning something from him, and you are the limiting factor, after all. Can you handle the knowledge?

I recently watched a vid about a certain dragon priest by Drewmora. This dragon priest sounded much more knowledgeable in magic than even Divayth Fyr.
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In game ive only met
    1)minnamarco
    2)divayth fyr
    3) vanus galerion
    And 4)shalidor

The other people on the options above, i dont know their personalities that much so i cant say if i would want to learn from them or not.

For 1), well he is pure evil so, no thanks
    In regards to fyr, i think i read somewhere he is a ***….ew
    So the only two sensible options are either vanus or shalidor. I pick shalidor because i like Nords better than high elves. Whatever call me racist lol.

Although, this poll was missing one major option for whom to learn from.
    That being Ahzidal. Granted he became corrupted greatly in the end in his endless pursuit of knowledge, he is one of the greatest magic wielders in history. He did manage to make it possible for the 500 companions to supplant the snow elves and pave the way for overall human domination of Tamriel. That is one option i might consider over Shalidor.
  • moleculardrugs
    moleculardrugs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Almalexia 😍😍😍
  • moleculardrugs
    moleculardrugs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    For pure power, probably divayth. Realistically, Vanus would probably be the best to learn from though, considering he created the mages guild to open up magic to more common folk.

Vanus would be a very good teacher if you also wanted a course in Tamriel politics. Being able to navigate those waters proved very beneficial to his career
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, it's not so much about who has the most knowledge or who is the "mightiest". It depends more on the types of knowledge they have. I could probably discuss the Coldharbour Compact with Sotha Sil for weeks, and there are also many interesting questions I'd ask Divayth Fyr (not only about the Dwarf he's keeping in his basement).
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gandalf
  • HappyTheCamper
    HappyTheCamper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was me personally thrown into the TES universe as a magic apprentice, I’d pick Vanus or Shalidor easily.

If I became one of my ESO characters I’d pick Fyr because there’s already good rapport there to get past his “weirdness”.

But I’ll be honest, my number one choice would always always always be join the Psijic Order.
    Edited by HappyTheCamper on December 26, 2022 1:45PM
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In regards to fyr, i think i read somewhere he is a ***….ew

Not sure what you're alluding to, but if you mean the "wives" he has in the 3rd era: They're clones of himself, helping him with the maintenance of his tower, his research and the infirmary in his basement.

@Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire