The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

leveling in ToT -- why so awful?

CoronHR
CoronHR
✭✭✭✭✭
ugh, takes so long to go up a rank. i'm at regular and i'm beyond sick of playing. maybe it's because it's just not that fun. i know i don't HAVE to do it, but i'd like to unlock achievements, quests, etc. i think playing other players levels faster, but my experience with playing other players hasn't gone well. i almost always lose, and the matches take even longer than npc matches.

any faster way of doing it?
Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 3, 2022 6:59PM
PC - EU - Steam client
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leveled fairly quickly by doing both the dailies, and making sure I got all 3 wins in. But, I actually enjoyed it so time didn't feel to drag on for me. Also, I won more than I lost against players, so that helped. It might help you not only level faster, but make the game more fun if you get some tips on your gameplay. I recommend reading some of the guides players like PinkApple posted.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Tales of Tribute section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found leveling ToT to be quite strange. From the dialogue, NPC give you the impression they won't play you until you reach their rank. But then, that restriction does not apply to the dailies, where you can just ignore the dialogue. And since you can play those 3 matches, then abandon the quest and pick it back up again as many times as you like, that limitation does not seem to be worth much. Leveling is still agonizingly slow though.
    Edited by Muizer on December 3, 2022 11:58PM
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did most of my leveling on NPCs because the games went faster and I won more of them.
    PCNA
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do 2x EXP events and EXP scrolls work on ToT leveling?

Because I levelled fairly fast during the last event. Told my partner it shouldn't take too long to hit max, but it's taking her much much longer.
  • CoronHR
    CoronHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i level with npcs for sure. playing other players...the last time, the guy took forever to take a turn. then he won. so, lame. with npcs, you can turn all the patrons fast and win. but still, it's just kind of dull. it's not a bad card game, it's just not that great. some guy on youtube suggested that the cards should be based on dungeon bosses, and they drop in dungeons. way better idea
    PC - EU - Steam client
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CoronHR wrote: »
    some guy on youtube suggested that the cards should be based on dungeon bosses, and they drop in dungeons. way better idea

I don't see the logic tbh. What is it about ToT that makes you think its players would enjoy having to grind dungeons to keep up?
    Edited by Muizer on December 4, 2022 6:01PM
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Muizer wrote: »
    some guy on youtube suggested that the cards should be based on dungeon bosses, and they drop in dungeons. way better idea

I don't see the logic tbh. What is it about ToT that makes you think its players would enjoy having to grind dungeons to keep up?

I agree. If I had to grind dungeons to get cards I'd be done. ToT cards should come from ToT activities. I really don't understand the push to lock everything behind group content.
    PCNA
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can just play NPCs over and over again at a level that you're comfortable with (Novice, Proficient, Expert) and learn how to earn each Patron's favor as quickly as possible. Try to choose Patrons that require gold or power to flip and then focus on flipping for the easy win. Rinse and repeat. The NPCs are trash even on Expert difficulty and while they may beat you in the long game, they don't go out of their way to prevent patron victories. The higher the difficulty that you grind, the more points you'll win per match, and the quicker you'll level up.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • CoronHR
    CoronHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭

well, hmm. i guess if you're someone who never runs dungeons, i guess that'd be a problem. i just think it'd make a better reference, if all the cards referred to monsters or creatures in tamriel. you'd have a base deck, and then you could passively collection monster cards that might help you, or perhaps win them in the game. but it doesn't matter because the game is what it is now and that's not going to change, other than they'll add new decks
    PC - EU - Steam client
  • CoronHR
    CoronHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CGPsaint wrote: »
    You can just play NPCs over and over again at a level that you're comfortable with (Novice, Proficient, Expert) and learn how to earn each Patron's favor as quickly as possible. Try to choose Patrons that require gold or power to flip and then focus on flipping for the easy win. Rinse and repeat. The NPCs are trash even on Expert difficulty and while they may beat you in the long game, they don't go out of their way to prevent patron victories. The higher the difficulty that you grind, the more points you'll win per match, and the quicker you'll level up.

re patrons, that's exactly what i do. the duke of crows is turnable with 1 gold, and 2 other patrons are turnable with 2 power. easy. the npcs tend to pick patrons that are more difficult to turn, but i focus on satisfying those conditions as quickly as possible so i can end the round relatively quickly. today i finished the daily in like 20 minutes, so that's an improvement. it may not be as bad as i thought
    PC - EU - Steam client
  • Skvysh
    Skvysh
    ✭✭✭
    CGPsaint wrote: »

re patrons, that's exactly what i do. the duke of crows is turnable with 1 gold, and 2 other patrons are turnable with 2 power. easy. the npcs tend to pick patrons that are more difficult to turn, but i focus on satisfying those conditions as quickly as possible so i can end the round relatively quickly. today i finished the daily in like 20 minutes, so that's an improvement. it may not be as bad as i thought

Proficient NPCs (unlockable at rank 4) can pick the first 8 decks - 5 of which are easy to flip within the first 6 turns without the NPC contesting them.

You can also pull out of a PvE match at any point without any drawbacks.

Combining the two, you can start a match, wait some 10 seconds to see which two decks the NPC picks and, if at least one of them has "hard to meet" requirements for flipping the patron, concede the match and go in again immediately. That way you guarantee that each match you actually play can (usually) be won in ~2 minutes.
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. If I had to grind dungeons to get cards I'd be done. ToT cards should come from ToT activities. I really don't understand the push to lock everything behind group content.

Because ESO is an MMO, it's based around group content.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Molydeus wrote: »

Because ESO is an MMO, it's based around group content.

MMO means there are multiple players logged into the game world at the same time. Nothing in its name says grouping. Just like real life, there are other people everywhere we go but we aren't expected to interact with all of them.
    PCNA
  • fall0athboy
    fall0athboy
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found leveling ToT to be quite strange. From the dialogue, NPC give you the impression they won't play you until you reach their rank. But then, that restriction does not apply to the dailies, where you can just ignore the dialogue. And since you can play those 3 matches, then abandon the quest and pick it back up again as many times as you like, that limitation does not seem to be worth much. Leveling is still agonizingly slow though.

Do you get more experience from defeating higher-ranked NPCs, and if so, how much? I know I get 45 from Novices.

Side question, if I am a higher rank than the NPCs, do I get less experience for defeating lower-ranks?
    Edited by fall0athboy on January 2, 2023 6:20AM
  • CoronHR
    CoronHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i play the experts now exclusively, since i figured out how to beat them (turn patrons fast as you can, forfeit and start over if npc picks orgnum patron). it used to tell you how many points you got from winning a match, but for some dumb reason it doesn't show anymore, so i'm not sure. but i know that you do get more points from defeating higher ranked npcs
    PC - EU - Steam client
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I noted 60 exp from a proficient NPC match.

Also the very first proficient NPC I played immediately picked Druid King, so that was a trip. :D
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • fall0athboy
    fall0athboy
    ✭✭✭✭
    i play the experts now exclusively, since i figured out how to beat them (turn patrons fast as you can, forfeit and start over if npc picks orgnum patron). it used to tell you how many points you got from winning a match, but for some dumb reason it doesn't show anymore, so i'm not sure. but i know that you do get more points from defeating higher ranked npcs

Excellent, thank you.