The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How do expansions work?

AlynShir
AlynShir
Soul Shriven
This might seem like a really daft question. However, I am considering buying the full collection of the game (black Friday deal), which includes all the expansions. I'm currently working through the base game of content (I'm doing Cadwells quest) and want to clear everything before moving on. My concern is that if I buy the expansions I'll get a massive influx of additional quests, which will disrupt my current flow. Will this be the case or do I have to manually start the questline through the stories tab? So, in essence until I activate the expansion nothing will change.

Confirmation would be greatly appreciated.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The questlines won't start automatically. You'll be able to start them from the menu or the quest NPC who's bugging you to start on their personal errand.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will sometimes find NPCs in base game maps offering the starting quests for the chapters (especially in cities), but you can just avoid picking up those quests.

It's slightly annoying because it's not always obvious it's a chapter quest and not one of the base game ones, the marker is the same and they don't immediately say where they're sending you, but if you realise you've picked one up you can just abandon it. You'll always be able to get them again later.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"