The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Meh

• gameswithaspoon
    gameswithaspoon
    ✭✭✭
    I still enjoy it and play mostly outside the match games, with friends.

And making a Tribute Gaming hall for my guild gave me a reason to finally decorate one of my empty Notable Houses.
    Spoon-no-Soup Former Emperor Argonian Templar AD BWB
    Spoon-ware-Soup Former Emperor Argonian Stamplar AD Bahlokdaan
    Guild Leader Imperium of the Eagle Ravenwatch NA-PC
    Takes Drive-Thru Orders for This is a Wendy's.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    delenn35 wrote: »
    I agree with what some others have said. You can’t deem it a failure based on your own likes/dislikes. The only evidence given of its failure is that you found it confusing and didn’t find it fun.

I actually really enjoy it. It frustrates the crap out of me at times but I do both PVE and PVP dailies as well as extra games against NPCs. I have a bit of extra time on my hands at the moment in order to do this.

I hope this didn’t come across as narky. It very may well be a failure but at the end of the day we can’t make a sweeping judgement based on our own opinions.

I don't like it (so far), but I can't say 'I have given it a fair shake'.

Once I sit down and bother to L2P I will be able to tell, until then all I can say is 'is not enticing enough for me from the get go'.

Either way if nothing else I will eventually get around to playing it to unlock the dyes. There are other aspects of the game that I don't enjoy (PvP for instance) but I still engage with it because well, dyes (and other stuff like styles).

Said that... how do you measure success? If there are people enjoying it, isn't that a success in on itself?

How many people are enjoying it vs the numbers ZOS projected? we don't know.

What is their threshold? We don't know.

Am I a bit resentful because a significant effort seems to have gone into ToT where aspects of the game that I do enjoy feel like they could have done with the resources? yes.

But again I don't want to ask the PvP crowd how resentful they feel, lest they grace me with an answer.

Ultimately I can't really tell whether ToT has been successful or not. I have no numbers, no data, no projections, nothing.

However for as long as there are people enjoying it, who am I to '**** on their parade'? (so to speak).
  • HerrKeinTipp_MrNoTip
    HerrKeinTipp_MrNoTip
    ✭✭✭✭
    Terrible game that I play quite often due the the interstellar bribery rewards.
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FluffWit wrote: »
    Please don't move this to the TOT board mods
    ZOS_Icy wrote: »
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.

Well that didn't last...

To be on topic though, I dunno if I say it's a failure more so it's unpopular for the general playerbase. I know myself and others who really don't care about a card game at all and just wanted something with our characters.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've been playing ToT a lot, but only because I wanted the furnishings and Brahgas as a houseguest. I haven't played since this happened. There's not enough incentive for me. I can gather more resources in the open world in 10 minutes than I get for a match ToT....
  • laurajf
    laurajf
    ✭✭✭
    I played it for about 3 weeks, but I have limited play time, so it took way too much time total just to do the daily between 3 games and all the traveling all over the world. I didn't think the rewards were worth the time it took, and I haven't touched the game since.

I also don't play card games in general anyway, so even if the rewards were better, I'm not sure how much longer I could have kept playing just because I didn't find it overly enjoyable.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a nicely designed system, so it's definitely not a failure, but I think it only resonates with a small fraction of the playerbase, so I wouldn't call it a success either. Ideally the new system that gets indroduced with the chapter should be something that the majority of the players interact with; for instance, antiquities have mythics that are used by both pvp/pver's, as well as many furnishings and collectibles for casual players and RP fans. Companions, although lacking a lot in the customization and interaction department, also appeal to a lot of players, and even hardcore vets who can easily solo something do use them for the extra ease, and because they enjoy customizing them. In contrast, I think there are some players who haven't interacted with the card game at all, but moreso, I think the majority of players who interacted with the game, just completed the quest and achievements, and then never touched it again, so it became more like a niche feature. I'm in the latter category as well: I did the quests and got the rubedite rank, but afterwards never really played, or planned to complete the card sets, etc., because I personally don't enjoy mini-games inside the game.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am wholly uninterested and was disappointed that a major quest reward was some deck thing that is useless to me. I can'r even decon it like the useless armour sets we get.

Now I find a side quest with it. No thanks.

PCNA
    PCEU
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played it to get all of the achievements and rewards. But haven't really touched it since.

It just gets way too boring too quickly and there are only a handful of successful strategies.

The biggest thing that really keeps me out of it, and something I called out as a potential problem when the mechanics of it were announced, is the lack of actual deck building involved. You choose your decks and build your hands during the game, but it pits you and your opponent on an non-creative even footing.

The game would be far far better if it worked closer to MTG, where players can actually pre-build a deck and bring it into a match. Everything within the match could stay exactly the same, players bring their decks, their decks are shuffled, and players choose from the tavern. But that initial deck build phase would give the game a bit more strategy, a bit more creativity, and allow each match to feel far more unique as you will never know what cards your opponent has chosen for their deck or how they intend to use those cards.

As it is now, you know exactly what the strategy is going to be a few turns in, or even directly from the patron choices.
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am into tabletop games. Not so much collectable card games, but competitive TT deck builders are fun.

This is a good example of a deck / engine builder card game. I would happily buy a physical copy of it.

There are a couple of errors in the launch of ToT though:

1) Making the card game the year's 'premium' content. A tavern game is the definition of a subgame. It is not main game quality content, regardless of how well executed the card game may be. Pitching the card game as the premium content of 2022 immediately put many players' backs up.

2) Married to this, the game needed to be available to everyone immediately if it was ever going to catch on. It wasn't, so it hasn't. Pitching the content to a fraction of a fraction of the total playerbase meant it was always doomed to suffer from a small population.

3) as many people have mentioned here, the onboarding was as rubbish as we are used to with all new ESO Content.

The tutorial was written with "what would be cool for Billy Boyd to say if he was an elf in a tavern?".

Instead, there is a clear template for teaching rules for tabletop games. You write the tutorial script first as a rulebook for a tabletop game. Then you get your voice actor to read it out.

Today's tabletop rulebooks have been reduced to an absolute formula. Writers should have taken more time researching good, clear, concise tabletop rulebooks, and then copied the style, tone, and content exactly. We don't want character acting, we want the rules.

• CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can say with a high degree of certainty that once I've completed the achievements, I won't be playing again. Ranked matches are a joke, and NPC matches pose no challenge. Definitely not worth the time to play either way.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • ellmarie
    ellmarie
    ✭✭✭
    I have not even attempted to play it yet. Someone said that you can get transmutes from playing? If that was the case I would try it if I got something more than achievements behind it.
    Xbox X- NA
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ellmarie wrote: »
    I have not even attempted to play it yet. Someone said that you can get transmutes from playing? If that was the case I would try it if I got something more than achievements behind it.

If you're decent and can plow through NPC matches quickly, then it can be a good source of transmutes. Playing against other people is just too time consuming to be an effective way of farming crystals.

"Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • WoppaBoem
    WoppaBoem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never played it should have no place in this game. There enough dedicated cards games out there all the development that went into this one of many solid reason to not give this company anymore money.
    Xbox EU & NA - PVP Only
  • Jack-0
    Jack-0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think I’ve played about 4 games so far, one of which was during a regular quest in Galen. I never asked for, never wanted a card game to be added, I’m just not into them, and if I was, I’d no doubt already be playing a more accomplished stand alone one.

To me, this is not a success, but then to other people trials are not a success because they won’t touch them with a 10 foot barge pole. I personally would prefer all the effort that went into ToT to go into new group dungeons and trials.
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    rbfrgsp wrote: »
    2) Married to this, the game needed to be available to everyone immediately if it was ever going to catch on. It wasn't, so it hasn't. Pitching the content to a fraction of a fraction of the total playerbase meant it was always doomed to suffer from a small population.

Same mistake they made with Battlegrounds back in the day. At least the card game has a solo mode, against NPCs, so the results might not be as bad.
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ellmarie wrote: »

Yes you can, I've had to start reconstructing rings to store them. My only sources of transmutes are trials and ToT, as I rarely PVP or do dungeons
    Soupy twist
  • sPark101
    sPark101
    ✭✭✭
    I decided to give Tales of Tribute a try since this thread mentioned it. You seem to need some prior knowledge on how these obscure card games work because it is totally confusing to a new player. Like trying to teach calculus to somebody that doesn't know division.

I won the first 2 tutorial games merely by randomly clicking cards with no idea what exactly the cards do and the fact that you can't redo the tutorial makes the learning curve even worse.

I'd pass on this.

• SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sPark101 wrote: »
    I decided to give Tales of Tribute a try since this thread mentioned it. You seem to need some prior knowledge on how these obscure card games work because it is totally confusing to a new player. Like trying to teach calculus to somebody that doesn't know division.

I won the first 2 tutorial games merely by randomly clicking cards with no idea what exactly the cards do and the fact that you can't redo the tutorial makes the learning curve even worse.

I'd pass on this.

I also found it confusing at first, but I was intrigued enough to keep playing, and after a few matches against the NPCs it all started to click into place for me.

Now that I was hooked, I continued playing the NPCs but lost more matches than I wanted to. Rather than getting upset and giving up, I got upset and started paying more attention to what the NPCs were doing during their turns. That didn't always steer me in a good direction-- since the NPCs' AI can be rather dimwitted at times-- but I tried to at least understand why the NPC made the specific choices it did. And if I ended up losing the match, I tried to recognize whether I'd made any mistakes and, if so, learn from them.

Once I got good enough to win nearly every match against the NPCs-- except for the occasional matches where they wiped the table with me-- I decided to try playing against other players. My first matches were so traumatic that I almost gave up, but I decided to keep at it and eventually got to where I could win 50% or more of the matches. But after the season ended and the next season began, I played only a few PvP matches before deciding to stick with PvE matches for various reasons.

As with any game, you need to play it for a while so you can become better acquainted with it-- learning what each patron's ability(?) is and how to make effective use of it, becoming familiar enough with the cards in each patron's deck and what their combos are so you can make smarter (and faster) choices while buying cards from the Tavern, and so forth. And also as with any game, you need to maintain the proper attitude about it-- learning from your mistakes, turning each defeat into a chance to get better, and not getting angry and frustrated about it.

I don't see ToT as "taking me out of the game," because it's part of the gameworld. Does standing at a guild trader for several minutes while you interact with the guild trader's GUI screen take you out of the game? Does standing at a bank counter for several minutes while you manage your character's inventory and your account's bank account take you out of the game? Does standing at a crafting station for several minutes while you craft or deconstruct or research a number of items take you out of the game? No, I don't think it does.

Each player chooses which parts of the game they want to spend their time on, as well as which parts of the game they don't want to spend their time on, and that's as it should be. Personally, I'd rather spend several minutes on playing ToT than on shopping at a guild trader, but for other players it might be the other way around-- or both, or neither.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!