The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

ESO nightblade vs WoW Rogue?

Nyseto
Nyseto
✭✭✭
Only played WoW for like 5 minutes before the graphics got to me and started playing ESO this summer during update 34 with nothing to compare it to, nor can I relate to the mass exodus due to 35. I love ganking and stealth, been hanging out at stage 4 vampire. Which game does that kind of gameplay better? In ESO it just feels like classes bleed into each other too much.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on November 24, 2022 2:38PM
  • Xuhora
    Xuhora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO WoW does all classes better than ESO. or at least the difference between the classes i should say.
    in ESO the Roles dont differ from each other, because we have weapon-skill lines that can be used throught all the different classes. WoW doesnt have that, so its logical that their classes differ much more from each other.

i havent played a rouge in WoW for a loooong time, so i cant help you on that particular class. but if i want my classfantasy of a paladin, a druid or a priest fullfilled i jump into WoW, since these archetypes are very well done and suit my cup of tea.
    in ESo, the paladin and the priest both use the same class, i.E. templar, so im bound to have the same skills (ritual and focus at least if not more).

this does not mean one game is worse then the other, some players may like it that way.
    But tbh, i have the simiar issue with WoW like you, the graphics. i cannot play WoW for a long period of time unlike ESO where i can emmerse my self much more
  • Bobargus
    Bobargus
    ✭✭✭✭
    WoW Rogue. When a rogue goes invisible, he or she can do it so indefinintely, no question. Nightblade, however, can also become invisible, but only for a short amount of time.

Think about it, in order to safely navigate through a pvp zone, nightblades have to use the invisibility ability as intelligently as they can.

Rogues, on the other hand, just need to toggle it on, and as long as they don't get close to the enemy, they can be completely safe roaming the battlefield.

TL,DR: Rogue "Sealth" active ability > Nightblade "Invisibility" active ability. Anytime.
  • Pepegrillos
    Pepegrillos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if there is much to compare these days. Wow definitely does everything class related better.
  • SPR_of_HA_community
    SPR_of_HA_community
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eso had unique class system and interesting PVP 3-5 years ago.

Then people who wanted it be like "wow" and othetlrs who wanted changes they would not like to play with be implemented to the game.

Unique skills were deleted, a lot of bad changes were made.

Now we have this ... .

And people who wanted that changes do not play this with those who did not want that changes ;)
    Edited by SPR_of_HA_community on November 24, 2022 12:51PM
  • dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In every MMO there are only a few playstyles available to you:

1. Rotational.
    2. Proc-based Rotational
    3. Priority based

Rotational systems follow a more repetitive system wherein you'd go:
    Ability 1 > Ability 2 > Ability 1 > Ability 1 > Ability 3 > Ability 1 and then repeat it ad nauseum until the boss dies (sometimes with situational changes, such as AoE groups or during an execute phase).

Proc-based rotational systems will follow the rotation until a specific trigger event occurs, then it gets changed. Like if you were to spam Rapid Strikes until Major Vulnerability applies then switch to using Biting Jabs (note, this isn't real. don't do this with these abilities).

Priority based are when abilities have competing cooldowns and will come off timer together, so you are juggling things more aggressively than in a rotation. Imagine if you had:
    1. 7 second ability that does the most damage provided you have the buff from 3 up
    2. 15 second ability that does the second most damage
    3. 12 second ability that provides an 8 second buff
    4. 6 second ability that lowers the cooldown of other abilities by 2 seconds when used.

So you'd ensure 1, 2 and 3 were on cooldown before hitting 4, but wouldn't hit 4 again if 1 had a second to go (which it would at the start) but you also might delay 1 for up to 2 seconds waiting on the buff from 3 to come back again so you get the buff for 1 twice etc etc.

In ESO, because it steered away from having cooldown abilities at the start, this led to pretty much everything following the same dps playstyle of Rotational. And if every class uses the same system, of course they're going to feel more similar.

In both WoW and Swtor, which I have several years experience playing every single dps spec at least once meaningfully (aka raid boss kills) I can say they both use cooldown and proc abilities to create a more varied playstyle, so that a WoW Elemental Shaman is different from an Enhancement Shaman, or a Combat Rogue. The same applies in Swtor, where a Scrapper and Ruffian Scoundrel play completely differently from each other and from an Advanced Prototype Vanguard.

In ESO, every class has a similar structure that revolves around maximising execute and your '50% more damage button'
    Dragonknight - Molten Whip creates the artificial '50% more damage ability' with the charges
    Templar - the Light (power or purifying) takes 6 seconds to deal this.
    Warden - Scorch
    Necromancer - Blastbones
    Nightblade - Merciless Resolve
    Sorcerer - Bound Armaments (or the artifical creation via Crystal Fragments)

I mained a Bear dps (yes bear was a tank and yes I technically filled a tank role, but I also enjoyed the fact that wow let tanks contribute to dps checks) so I know a bit about stealth and, ESO doesn't really let you stealth except in pvp combat, the place you really don't need to be able to do it 24/7 without a 2 minute cooldown on it). I also mained a Sin tank in Swtor, again the stealth during combat was on a cooldown to prevent the situation where people can stealth > gank > stealth > gank in the same combat which is cheap and poorly designed.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot play a stealth class with a bow in wow, so eso wins it for me. I like stealthy archers. (And no I don’t pvp that much.)
  • LesserCircle
    LesserCircle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FBS94 wrote: »
    WoW Rogue. When a rogue goes invisible, he or she can do it so indefinintely, no question. Nightblade, however, can also become invisible, but only for a short amount of time.

Think about it, in order to safely navigate through a pvp zone, nightblades have to use the invisibility ability as intelligently as they can.

Rogues, on the other hand, just need to toggle it on, and as long as they don't get close to the enemy, they can be completely safe roaming the battlefield.

TL,DR: Rogue "Sealth" active ability > Nightblade "Invisibility" active ability. Anytime.

How is it different tho? You can be vampire and just crouch to be hidden forever while still being able to run, and use cloak in combat.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think they are very comparable. In Elder Scrolls classes in general are a bit weird to have and skills have always been more of a pick whichever you want. ESO do have classes, but they also have a lot more leeway than WoW does. In WoW so are classes a lot more restricted and themed, you can't go outside the class' decided theme. Even if in the lore it's possible and it was seen on npcs.
    For example in WoW my mage couldn't be a battlemage no matter how much I wanted him to be and stared in envy at the battlemage npcs. I could only be a ranged and squishy glasscannom with my only options to decide between was if I wanted my magical projectiles and spells to be fire, frost or purple sparkle explosions themed (Purple sparkles, always).
    While in ESO, I can be a squishy ranged glasscannon who shoots magical projectiles too, but I can also be a battlemage in heavy armour fighting in melee either doing damage or even tanking. I can be a rogue-mage, because sometimes you dislike someone so much you want to set them on fire and stab them. Or a healer mage, because I actually bothered picking up a book about learning healing magic too. The list goes on.

My rogues always felt quite limited even with the three specialsations (I hated when Combat because Outlaw because that ruined one of my characters), while my nightblades are more friendly for roleplay and variation. I don't even need to be a nightblade to stealth. They do have more sneaky themed abilities and one that makes them invisible without using a potion.

Anyway, you can make a sneaky ganking character in ESO if you want to. They both got their pros and cons and one is not really better than the other, just different. It's more a personal preference. Some here think WoW does it better, while I much prefer ESO's that gives me more room and possibilties to make it fit my character idea better.
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on November 24, 2022 2:22PM
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FBS94 wrote: »

Yes, because it's not like ESO has an active ability stealth mechanic that anyone can do by pressing crouch. Wait it does. Then we have invisibility on top of that which we can do either with nightblade ability or potions.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post