The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
The connection issues for the North American megaservers have been resolved at this time. If you continue to experience difficulties at login, please restart your client. Thank you for your patience!

Clarification required - Destro Tri Focus Passive

Firey_Hellhound
Firey_Hellhound
✭✭✭
Really basic question, but since I don't know the answer, hence why I ask!

OK so both Fire and Ice are fixed and clear in what they do, however, lightning is not quite as specific.

Fully-charged Inferno Staff Heavy Attacks deal 6% additional damage.
Lightning Staff Heavy Attacks damage nearby enemies for 50% of the damage done.
Fully-charged Ice Staff Heavy Attacks grant you a damage shield that absorbs 2000 damage. While an Ice Staff is equipped, blocking costs Magicka instead of Stamina.

My question is - What constitutes 'nearby'? I mean how close do they need to be, is it within melee range for example, or some other distance either greater or less than this? 10m 5m 3m etc?

If anyone actually knows the range of 'nearby' I would be grateful for the clarification. For now I try to stack stuff tightly which does work, but unsure on how 'loosely' a tight stack can be! I often do not benefit that much from the passive so I know I am out of range, so I try to check each fight so see if it was 'nearby' by looking for Tri Focus in the CMX report.

Thanks in advance all.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t know the range personally but if you need to visualize it, you can move target dummies around in your house.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    Options
  • Firey_Hellhound
    Firey_Hellhound
    ✭✭✭
    Good point - Simple way to find out I guess!

Just trying to be a little better all the time
    Options
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the whole distance thing bothers me too. I understand for example that my heal covers 28 meters but I have no good feel for how big (or small) that is in-game. If I picked a random room like for instance the place in Red Petal bastion where you fight the last boss, how big is that room?

Having a sense of how big 28mm is in-game would help me a lot.
    PS5/NA
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive considered making a "firing range" with target dummies before, putting them at common distances (5/10/15/20/25/30) meters lol

as for the question in the OP for the lightning staff, it is somewhere around 5-6 meters from what ive seen but i havent tested exactly, i think most "splash" stuff is 5 meters (silver shards, "forceful" (2h passive that also adds splash dmg on light and heavy attacks), maybe something else im forgetting but those are what i think of off hand)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options