The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bastion Sanguinaris Additional Room Update Suggestion

Vaqual
Vaqual
✭✭✭✭
Hello everyone,

I want to argue for an update of the Bastion Sanguinaris playerhouse. I hope that I can convince some of the responsible developers and that this is also in the interest of other players. I do not claim that these are concerns have not been voiced before by anybody else, but it seems there is currently no ongoing discussion regarding this.

Firstly, I want to say that I really love this house. The design and the textures are very beautiful and the Blackreach setting is really gorgeous. It is however the only Greymoor/Vampire themed house that we have now and possibly the only one that we will get. In that sense I feel that, while the exterior certainly looks like a great vampire castle, the interior falls a bit short of my expectations.I have no issues with the ground floor. There are however, two things that I find lackluster about the upper rooms:

1. Absence of archtitectural elements reflecting the outside/general castle character
2. Sequence of rooms

The scale and magnitude of the castle is lost in the upper rooms, as we have two instanced rooms without any connecting elements. We have to imagine any stair cases between the groundfloor and the rooftop and it is not clear where those two rooms are, as none of them has the windows that we can see on the outside. I think it would add a great deal of flavour to the house if we had a hint of a great staircase and a small section of corridors. Further, it would be nice to see the windows on the outside as elements inside the house (as for Daggerfall Overlook). As daytime doesn't change it the light from these windows doesn't have to be dynamic. The Bastion should be high enough to reasonably allow for another room that could incorporate these elements, based on the following assumption: Both the upper chamber and the withdrawing room are connected by the secret entrance in the fireplace. That leads me to believe, that they are on the same floor, as there would be no reason for the exit of the secret passage to also be hidden inside a fireplace, if this exit is not also part of a connected chimney. This brings me to my second point.

There is technically enough space in the upper rooms, but most of these areas are behind the secret passage. This make the "publicly" accissble area quite small and it just doesn't feel like a castle this way. You wouldn't expect to regularly traverse a secret door in the only other accessible room, because any "guest" can see you.

Considering these reasons, I suggest adding another instanced room to the castle. It could be connected to the groundfloor door that currently leads to the withdrawing room (or arranged in another sensible way. I have more ideas but I want to keep this comprehensible). I provided an image to explain this layout. This room could be oriented in such a way (as in the figure or flipped by 180 °), that the outside windows are incorporated in the "room a" or the connecting corridor. From this floor you could reach the withdrawing room and from there on everything can be left as it is. This way the castle will feel much larger and it will be an opportunity to bring in some style elements (windows, corridor, stairs). In my opinion, this would be an upgrade to the house that can be achieved with little effort. I can not speak for others, but it would make me very happy.

j8fx4fkb6y5r.png

I want to adress some possible concerns that could be raised:

"The house is too large anyway considering the decoration limit"
-> I can not understand the obsession of some players to fill every inch within a house. The vastness is what makes this house so amazing. It is something that just goes perfectly with a vampire themed castle. I would not necessarily see lower decoration density as a detriment.

"I will have to redo everything"
-> I can understand this concern, but as this will still add only an instanced room a small portion will be affected. If ZOS also provides the wall elements as decoration you could block off the rooms and just have a corridor, which should be fine if left undecorated.

"The house is expensive enough as it is"
-> I will not consider how an upgrade of this or any house would be monetized, I think it is also justifiable to provide this as a free update.

Concerns that the devs might raise:

"There are technical limitations"
-> I will not be convinced of this. You could add the instance for the room inside any of the nearby existing terrain. I am sure this is doable without causing a lot of additional load to the house.

"There is no incentive to do this extra work"

-> It is often times stated in streams and promotions, that you have a passion for this world and you care about the player experience. This would be a nice and easy way so add something for the playerbase, to keep already released content relevant and create incentives for people who have not been convinced by this house so far. Looking at the brilliant work you have done with the other Greymoor-Style castles it should be easily doable to add one instanced room. And if this ends up being an independent one time extra purchase, I could also live with that.

"We might upset some players if we listen to one guy"

-> That is true. It is ultimately up to you. You could do a poll if you think that the people who can vote here are represantative of the general playerbase. Or you just decide. I think you guys have had to make more controversial decisions.

"This is not part of the current update"

-> Please never let this hold you back. This game is a great as you decide to make it.

I hope I am not upsetting anyone with these mock questions, I'm sure you get what I mean. Ultimately I think this would improve the Bastion Sanguinaris. I think there are more houses that could do with little tweaks, but I can not make a case for those. I hope that you see this, that you maybe even consider it and I would be really happy about a developer response. If you need more input from me I'll gladly help as much as I can. I would also appreciate any support from you guys (the other players). If you feel this is right help me to keep this thread up.

Best,

Vaqual

Edited by Vaqual on October 4, 2022 4:38PM
  • Starbridge84
    Starbridge84
    ✭✭✭
    Be nice, but t hey wont come back to old contend. If they did they would need to look at other houses to add things and no one at that office will put the time in for that.
    If you want to see what all the craftable lights look like in ESO, use this command on PC NA.
    /script JumpToSpecificHouse("@Starbridge84", 71)

• maximusrex45
    maximusrex45
    ✭✭✭✭
    We can't get them to fix missing textures and holes it creates in Lakemire Xanmeer as an example, they aren't going to redesign rooms in an existing home.
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A compromise to adding more rooms to make the place feel larger without making the place require more furniture slots would be to add an additional stairwell that leads into the upper chamber, this would just be a thin corridor possible in the withdrawing room or even a spiral staircase (For those who do not know the fireplace) I think what we really need though are Vampiric Structure furnishings such as walls, doors and floors.
    Edited by TX12001rwb17_ESO on October 2, 2022 5:40PM
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can't get them to fix missing textures and holes it creates in Lakemire Xanmeer as an example, they aren't going to redesign rooms in an existing home.

What missing textures and holes?
  • Vaqual
    Vaqual
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had hoped for more general support for this, but I guess there isn't that much interest in the topic.
    A compromise to adding more rooms to make the place feel larger without making the place require more furniture slots would be to add an additional stairwell that leads into the upper chamber, this would just be a thin corridor possible in the withdrawing room or even a spiral staircase (For those who do not know the fireplace) I think what we really need though are Vampiric Structure furnishings such as walls, doors and floors.

These are cool ideas!
    I think structure furnishings are a great compromise. I would like to see the ones you mentioned and maybe a window that looks like the outside windows of the Bastion. Generally, a winding staircase furnishing would be cool for a lot of styles.

• Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I would love a rework of the interior of Bastion Sanguinaris, it really wouldn’t be fair to those who may have bought the home for its layout, rather than in spite of as I did (I love the exterior and location).

I do wish that ZOS would make fixes that would harm no one, like adjusting the placement of some invisible walls to enable building second stories or on the rooftops of some of the base game homes, and the texture glitch in Xanmeer. Honestly, I was overjoyed when ZOS fixed a glitch with the floor in the Varlaisvea Ayleid ruins as it seems so rare for them to make any such changes, I was expecting to have to waste furnishing slots on structural integrity indefinitely!
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious, what did they fix in the ruins? I’d like to go look at it and see if I can see the difference. 🙂
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elvenheart wrote: »
    Just curious, what did they fix in the ruins? I’d like to go look at it and see if I can see the difference. 🙂

It was shortly after the property came out. In the hallway, at the base of stairs going up to another room with stairs to the surface the collision was set below the visible floor until they fixed it (see patch notes 2.17 for U30). It’s not anything you would notice if you weren’t previously aware of the problem.