Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Is there a way to switch chat servers?

TheGent
TheGent
✭✭✭
instead of loggging off and back on is there like a hot key or a way to refresh the chat server so your not in the same chat? or do u need to log off and then back on?
Edited by ZOS_Icy on November 6, 2022 6:04PM
ESO: @The.Gent
I really need a questing friend. Playing solo is lonely and boring (i am in multiple guilds too)

• Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you mean changing instance, I teleport somewhere else and then teleport back using wayshrine. Works for Craglorn, not sure about anywhere else but I’d think so.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    • CP 2000+
    • Warden Healer - Arcanist Healer - Warden Brittleden - Stamarc - Sorc Tank - Necro Tank - Templar Tank - Arcanist Tank
    • Trials: 9/12 HMs - 3/8 Tris
    • Dungeons: 30/30 HMs - 24/24 Tris
    • All Veterans completed!

View my builds!
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately there is no way to do this as the server automatically creates a new instance whenever the amount of players exceeds the number allowable in the zone. The zone chat is linked to this. A player has no real manual control over it other than porting to a friend in a different instance, and there is no guarantee they will be if the current instance of a zone is not full.

With that being said, sometimes relogging or even re-zoning can put you in a different instance with different people in the chat, but it doesn't always work.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you mean changing instances of whatever zone you're in? You could try porting to a different zone, then back, but that is no guarantee. You could also try porting to different players in your friends or guild lists who happen to be in whatever zone you are in, until you get one that says the other person is in a different instance.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • TheGent
    TheGent
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately there is no way to do this as the server automatically creates a new instance whenever the amount of players exceeds the number allowable in the zone. The zone chat is linked to this. A player has no real manual control over it other than porting to a friend in a different instance, and there is no guarantee they will be if the current instance of a zone is not full.

With that being said, sometimes relogging or even re-zoning can put you in a different instance with different people in the chat, but it doesn't always work.

Example...so i was in Elden Root and Zone chat was blowing up with people talking mad smack in chat it was getting annoying so to change the chat, what? do i just teleport to another wayshrine? then back? and that should set me into a new chat?
    I really need a questing friend. Playing solo is lonely and boring (i am in multiple guilds too)

• TheGent
    TheGent
    ✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Do you mean changing instances of whatever zone you're in? You could try porting to a different zone, then back, but that is no guarantee. You could also try porting to different players in your friends or guild lists who happen to be in whatever zone you are in, until you get one that says the other person is in a different instance.

read what i said to the other buy above this post...

• ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    TheGent wrote: »

Example...so i was in Elden Root and Zone chat was blowing up with people talking mad smack in chat it was getting annoying so to change the chat, what? do i just teleport to another wayshrine? then back? and that should set me into a new chat?

The chat is linked to the instance of the zone you are in. Teleporting or relogging might give you a new chat- and it might not, because the instance you left is not full and you were sent back to the same instance. There is no way to manually control this. You can not switch the chat unless you manage to get the server to toss your character into a new instance of the zone.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The chat is linked to the instance of the zone you are in. Teleporting or relogging might give you a new chat- and it might not, because the instance you left is not full and you were sent back to the same instance. There is no way to manually control this. You can not switch the chat unless you manage to get the server to toss your character into a new instance of the zone.

If you are grouped with someone it is likely you will be placed into their instance when transferring to the zone they are in.

• SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be better to port to a different zone entirely, not just to a different wayshrine. But there's no guarantee that you'll be put into a different instance when you port back-- although I think the longer you wait before porting back, the more likelihood you'll have of being placed into a different instance of that zone, especially if the zone is very busy and the instance you were in previously was pretty full.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wait... so zones have different instances now?
    "We're heroes, my boon companion, and heroes always win! Let that be a lesson to you."
    -Caldwell, "The Final Assault"

"There is always a choice. But you don't get to choose what is true, you only get to choose what you will do about it..."

-Abnur Tharn, "God of Schemes"]
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    me_ming wrote: »
    They always did. The game just doesn't make you aware of it other than for Cyro / IC, where you have to manually select your instance aka campaign.
    PC EU: Magblade (PvP main), DK (PvE Tank), Sorc (PvP and PvE), Magden (PvE Healer), Magplar (PvP and PvE DD), Arcanist (PvE DD)
    PC NA: Magblade (PvP and PvE every role)
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

In cases like that I just have a chat tab that has zone chat disabled.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    • CP 2000+
    • Warden Healer - Arcanist Healer - Warden Brittleden - Stamarc - Sorc Tank - Necro Tank - Templar Tank - Arcanist Tank
    • Trials: 9/12 HMs - 3/8 Tris
    • Dungeons: 30/30 HMs - 24/24 Tris
    • All Veterans completed!

View my builds!
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    They always did. The game just doesn't make you aware of it other than for Cyro / IC, where you have to manually select your instance aka campaign.

I just want to clear this... because how I am understanding this (based on the replies), say I'm in Daggerfall, does that mean that there is an instance where some of my guildmates or friends can be in different instances of Daggerfall and not see or communicate with each other even though we're in the same zone?
    "We're heroes, my boon companion, and heroes always win! Let that be a lesson to you."

"There is always a choice. But you don't get to choose what is true, you only get to choose what you will do about it..."

• Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I just want to clear this... because how I am understanding this (based on the replies), say I'm in Daggerfall, does that mean that there is an instance where some of my guildmates or friends can be in different instances of Daggerfall and not see or communicate with each other even though we're in the same zone?

Yes.

If you want to make sure you're in the same copy of the zone as other people the best thing to do is group up with them, then you can all move into the same one.

Incidentally this is why you'll never be placed in a queue to get into a zone, even during events where everyone wants to go to the same places - the game will make as many copies of that zone as it needs to fit all the players who want to go there.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

Yes.

If you want to make sure you're in the same copy of the zone as other people the best thing to do is group up with them, then you can all move into the same one.

Incidentally this is why you'll never be placed in a queue to get into a zone, even during events where everyone wants to go to the same places - the game will make as many copies of that zone as it needs to fit all the players who want to go there.

Ha. I never knew that. I thought they eliminated that since One Tamriel, where regardless which alliance you were in you can see/communicate with anyone. By that I mean the zones just having one instance. I've got to be honest, I've never really experienced it ever. Or maybe have not noticed it? Is this something new?

• deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭

yes there can be 15 instances of daggerfall running depending on how busy it is there like for events etc.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

Ha. I never knew that. I thought they eliminated that since One Tamriel, where regardless which alliance you were in you can see/communicate with anyone. By that I mean the zones just having one instance. I've got to be honest, I've never really experienced it ever. Or maybe have not noticed it? Is this something new?

Even before One Tamriel, there were multiple instances. Instead of 8 instances of Glenumbra, there might have been 3 instances of "EP Glenumbra'", 3 instances of "AD Glenumbra" and 2 instances of "DC Glenumbra". It is pretty much transparent to the player. The only way to notice this is if you and a friend are in a different instance of Glenumbra, then group up. You will see the group indicator above that player's head, but not the player themselves. One of you will need to travel to the other to get in same instance and see each other.

But this is rare. Most grouping is done via chat. Stuff like, "Type WB in chat to join me for this World Boss!" But the only people who will see that in chat are people in same instance as you. And for friends, it is not too common to group up for overland, and even less likely to group up for overland, while already in same overland zone, and both in separate instances of overland zone. People tend to group up with friends for pledge dungeons and Trials and public dungeons and battlegrounds. Stuff where there is likely to be a loading screen where the game gets a chance to put you and groupmates into same instance. You will even notice that as soon as you group with someone there is a message like, "Group leader is in Reapers March. Do you want to go to Reapers March?" If you say yes, you will get ported to same instance of Reapers March as group leader.

Also, I believe the game will try to put friends and guildmates in the same instance, even without grouping or any kind of interaction. It just does this as part of each loading screen. This is not foolproof. If half your friends are in "Glenumbra Instance X" and half are in "Glenumbra Instance Y", the game has to pick one. Or if all your friends are in in "Glenumbra Instance Z", but "Glenumbra Instance Z" is almost full, you'll get sent someplace else.

So the game is working hard behind the scenes to make you not notice there are multiple instances of zones.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

What changed with One Tamriel is it became possible to be in the same instance as someone from another Alliance.

Before that if you were in Glenumbra on a DC character and your friend was in Glenumbra on an EP character it would be impossible for you to be in the same instance, even if you were the only 2 people there. Also the EP version would be a vet level zone, whereas the DC one would be a low level zone.

After One Tamriel everyone from all the Alliances could be mixed together and the game would only create duplicates of the map if there were more people than could fit in one instance. (That's why one of the big changes a lot of people noticed is 'vet zones' became more populated.) Also everything was scaled to CP160, so you and your friend could meet up and play together without worrying about which alliance you'd picked for the characters or if you were both the same level.
    Edited by Danikat on November 7, 2022 10:17PM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

What changed with One Tamriel is it became possible to be in the same instance as someone from another Alliance.

Before that if you were in Glenumbra on a DC character and your friend was in Glenumbra on an EP character it would be impossible for you to be in the same instance, even if you were the only 2 people there. Also the EP version would be a vet level zone, whereas the DC one would be a low level zone.

After One Tamriel everyone from all the Alliances could be mixed together and the game would only create duplicates of the map if there were more people than could fit in one instance. (That's why one of the big changes a lot of people noticed is 'vet zones' became more populated.) Also everything was scaled to CP160, so you and your friend could meet up and play together without worrying about which alliance you'd picked for the characters or if you were both the same level.

Oh I played since 2015, I know what it was before One Tamriel. But I never even knew even before One Tamriel that Glenumbra (for example) as a DC character would have several instances. I knew there were 3 servers for DC, AD and EP and that you can't interact with those characters outside whispers. Honestly, this is all new to me-- wow. I never thought that the zones had instances. Well... Now I know. lol

• me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »

Yes.

Even before One Tamriel, there were multiple instances. Instead of 8 instances of Glenumbra, there might have been 3 instances of "EP Glenumbra'", 3 instances of "AD Glenumbra" and 2 instances of "DC Glenumbra". It is pretty much transparent to the player. The only way to notice this is if you and a friend are in a different instance of Glenumbra, then group up. You will see the group indicator above that player's head, but not the player themselves. One of you will need to travel to the other to get in same instance and see each other.

But this is rare. Most grouping is done via chat. Stuff like, "Type WB in chat to join me for this World Boss!" But the only people who will see that in chat are people in same instance as you. And for friends, it is not too common to group up for overland, and even less likely to group up for overland, while already in same overland zone, and both in separate instances of overland zone. People tend to group up with friends for pledge dungeons and Trials and public dungeons and battlegrounds. Stuff where there is likely to be a loading screen where the game gets a chance to put you and groupmates into same instance. You will even notice that as soon as you group with someone there is a message like, "Group leader is in Reapers March. Do you want to go to Reapers March?" If you say yes, you will get ported to same instance of Reapers March as group leader.

Also, I believe the game will try to put friends and guildmates in the same instance, even without grouping or any kind of interaction. It just does this as part of each loading screen. This is not foolproof. If half your friends are in "Glenumbra Instance X" and half are in "Glenumbra Instance Y", the game has to pick one. Or if all your friends are in in "Glenumbra Instance Z", but "Glenumbra Instance Z" is almost full, you'll get sent someplace else.

So the game is working hard behind the scenes to make you not notice there are multiple instances of zones.

The one that I bolded out: Ohhhhh yeah, I have experienced it before. That makes sense. I always thought it was just a bug. But seriously this is like the first time I am learning about this. haha. Thanks for clarifying guys.