Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Client focus

tauriel01
tauriel01
✭✭✭✭
Added a new option to improve device performance when the game client is not in focus. By enabling "Limit Background FPS" within Video settings, the game client FPS limit will be set to 30 when the client is not in focus.

Would someone please explain in layman terms what this means? I have no idea what they mean by "client focus," and will this limit or impact my overall FPS? I have it unlocked in user settings, so I just need to know if I am going to have to go redo that. thanks
Edited by ZOS_Icy on November 1, 2022 1:36PM
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The window with the 'focus' is essentially the active, foreground window (the one you're working with or actively using) - all peripheral (keyboard/mouse etc) input is directed to it.

When you minimise or alt-tab (or whatever) to another non-eso window, eso no longer is in foreground/has the focus. Unfortunately, the eso client has been pretty dumb about this (other than a call to FlashWindowEx) and the cpu mashing has continued regardless.

With the stated change they are throttling the frame rate when the eso client is no longer in the foreground (you're not playing the game nor otherwise interacting directly with the game client).

If it works as stated it is a good thing.

When you restore focus to the eso client (start playing the game again after switching from some other task/window) eso should resume its normal full cpu thrashing and gpu cooking.

edit:typos
    Edited by deleted221106-002999 on November 1, 2022 1:20PM
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    client focus is if the game is your active window rather than minimised or behind another window or browser or something that you are actively clicked into
    Soupy twist
  • WoodenHeart
    WoodenHeart
    ✭✭✭✭
    It just means if you're looking at another window (like a browser), the game will drop down to 30 frames per second instead of however many it usually gets. This will help your other window(s) load faster and perform better until you go back to the game.

So basically if you're playing the game, it's normal. If you're temporarily doing something in another window, it uses less resources.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post