The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Shields PvP Update ?

jaypou
jaypou
Soul Shriven
Hello dear players and devs,

Here I come again to discuss on the PvP balance of things. This time I wanna talk about shields. You know things that most people will just avoid in PvP as it's not good enough.
Let me explain...

Most of shields are with max resources or max health. Investing in max resources was and could still be a thing on a sorcerer, but everything else would not worth it that much. Investing in health would result in not enough damage and not even enough survival ( im not talking about permablock that can resist a zerg of 30 players for 10 minutes alone ).

Even with the best investment, with battle spirit and CP's on, you would still get half of that tooltip and that number can't crit. I love to play healer, and sometimes I think shields could be useful but their high cost, low duration , and very low tooltip that cannot crit but yet , can be crit'ed by other players makes them almost unplayable. By the time you put your 12k shield in PvP ( -50% so more like 6k ) you already got slapped and the shield is already down faster than you could protect yourself and heal afterwards.

Of course it's not completely useless, but it's a little trash when you compare to 16-25k burst heals from class ( Healthy Offering, Resistant Flesh, Honor the Dead, Coag , etc. ). If you're in execute phase , the resto staff shield would be only a band aid on a 10 inches hemorrhaging wound. It could heal at most what 12k ? But you're still in execute phase, i've seen 19-25k executes very often. Not to talk about those nightblade right now that can pull 40-50k damage in 2 spells ( i've been hit with 18k incap , 29k assassin's will , fully impen with 30k resistance easily ).

So, do you think we deserve some love on shields to make them back useful ?

Back in time when they couldn't be crit, it was at least a bigger protection. Now it goes on with resistance but it's so easy to have penetration nowadays, it's not enough. Should the shields crit heal too ? Should the Battle Spirit affect less shields , especially the healing ones ? I think we should look into this, as the damage and heals are always higher and higher bursts, but shields didn't get better at all.

PS : I dont want to make magsorc god tier again with 3 shields non stop, but when I see warden use shimmering or frost shield that shields for 40k (IN PVP !!) + in 3 projectiles and gives back magicka as well as stunning or major heroism, I think the 4k steadfast wards on targets is purely trash and just delay the inevitable death for 0.2 sec.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the warden shields only protect against projectiles, use melee and they are useless lol

its like a slightly better version of defensive posture from 1h/shield (which can also give a shield that only protects against projectiles)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the warden shields only protect against projectiles, use melee and they are useless lol

its like a slightly better version of defensive posture from 1h/shield (which can also give a shield that only protects against projectiles)

Well it is the projectiles that hurt wardens most. Come close to them and you will regret it. Deep Fissure + Dizzying Swing + Dawnbreaker and spin for the win.
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The easiest fix is to make shields 100% impenetrable(crit resistance capped), they would still register crits but would neglect the base crit bonus.
  • AdamLAD
    AdamLAD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bring back pre murkmire shields.........
  • Memory_In_Motion
    Memory_In_Motion
    ✭✭✭✭
    barrier?
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is going to sound a little off topic but stay with me...

What really needs to happen is healing needs to scale with something other than weapon damage. Not that damage shouldn't have any effect, but that the roles of damage versus max stat should be reversed in the case of healing. This is of course a fix to a different problem that many people have suggested.

What it would do in this case though is, number 1, make the traditional max stat shield sorc have better heals. It would also, as the meta shifted, reduce some of the incoming damage because most higher end players require a certain amount of self healing. And/or it would reduce the enemies self healing and thus enable a sorc to return to the preferred play style of kiting and applying so much offense from range that people have to think twice before just gap closing in and continuing the assault.

Alternatively we could just say make shields scale off spell damage. A much simpler fix, but without the side effect of helping everybody else leave this stale meta. A meta which is often attributed to things like undeath, pariah, and balorgs but has honestly always been the truth.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Defensive Posture’s shield protects against melee attacks as well. It only reflects the next projectile (or turns it into a heal, with one morph).
  • Mrtoobyy
    Mrtoobyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    I fully agree with OP. Do something to shiields so they become viable in PVP. They are fun and some look really cool but lacks purpose due to the weakness of them.
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do we really need more mitigation in a tanky meta with Mara's Balm?
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hop on magsorc and you tell me.
  • jaypou
    jaypou
    Soul Shriven

Yes, I want to make shields more viable as it's no use atm.