The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Giant Bosmer on Grand Pillion Draft Horse

YffresTrill
YffresTrill
✭✭✭✭
I made a forum account solely for the purpose of complaining about this.

So we got the fancy horse, it's a cute idea, it mostly functions fine. Sadly, when used with our specific characters (presumably due to the height difference), using the horse causes a bizarre scaling issue.

For reference, here are our two characters standing next to each other (shortish but not min-height Bosmer and middling-height Nord):
ikok0caxkvej.png

Now, here they are on the horse:
kt7xxi9tj84r.png

Note the enormous Bosmer bobblehead. It looks so [extended self-snip] ridiculous.

Any chance this could get looked at? It makes the whole thing so goofy.
@ Yffre'sTrill - PC/EU (No Steam)
-
Naering (Bosmer WW Archer - Valenwood separatist, Hircine-agnostic, honoured affiliate of the Gang of Scroungers.)
Alts: Kunali, Free-as-Wind, Gurzog gro-Kosh, Seldril, Hatiba, Kareemal, Gilfirion, Elorwe, Ludvikke, Tsetha-Vos, Loulou Villeau, and Nilvani.
  • FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A thought:
    the horse scales to the rider (game mechanic)
    the horse can't simultaneously scale to two riders of different size (basic logic)
    the horse cannot be not scaled to any of it's riders (otherwise why would it scale at all)
    therefore horse should be scaled to the first rider and the second rider is then scaled to the horse (looks like it)

Did you test what happens when the Bosmer is the first rider?

(Sorry, I'm not a ZOS dev, but this looks curious)
  • YffresTrill
    YffresTrill
    ✭✭✭✭
    FluffyBird wrote: »
    A thought:
    the horse scales to the rider (game mechanic)
    the horse can't simultaneously scale to two riders of different size (basic logic)
    the horse cannot be not scaled to any of it's riders (otherwise why would it scale at all)
    therefore horse should be scaled to the first rider and the second rider is then scaled to the horse (looks like it)

Did you test what happens when the Bosmer is the first rider?

(Sorry, I'm not a ZOS dev, but this looks curious)

Yes, I am basically certain that this is exactly what is happening, and I would argue that this is in itself problematic.

On a single-rider mount, the default scaling works fine. Here though, as this was designed specifically to be used by any two characters, regardless of height difference, the reasonable design choice would be modifying character animation to fit an average-sized mount.

If we had known this would function in such a way I am not so sure we would have bothered with it.

Unfortunately I cannot test reversed rider position as it can only be controlled by the owner of the horse, and I certainly am not keen to acquire another after seeing this... but I assume we would end up with a smol Nord.

I will however try to post a video later of how the character literally grows when mounting up, because these screenshots fail to demonstrate just how silly it looks.
    Edited by YffresTrill on October 27, 2022 5:04AM
    -
    Naering (Bosmer WW Archer - Valenwood separatist, Hircine-agnostic, honoured affiliate of the Gang of Scroungers.)
    Alts: Kunali, Free-as-Wind, Gurzog gro-Kosh, Seldril, Hatiba, Kareemal, Gilfirion, Elorwe, Ludvikke, Tsetha-Vos, Loulou Villeau, and Nilvani.
  • YffresTrill
    YffresTrill
    ✭✭✭✭
    Video of how the character scales up while mounting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhH4ojFZp5Y
    -
  • YffresTrill
    YffresTrill
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin Any chance there could be some acknowledgment of this? Is this something that could be looked into, or is it "functioning as intended"?
    -