The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

I understand grinding but geez

DMuehlhausen
DMuehlhausen
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I cut my teeth on MMOs in Everquest where just getting out of a starter town could be a grind. However, some of these drop rates on leads are just crazy. Now yes I know for some people they get them right away, and I have one some. I'm trying to farm the lead in Bal Foyen for the Harpooner pants nd I've killed over 4000 enemies and not gotten the lead. That just makes the game not enjoyable.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats some insanely bad luck

ive gotten that lead once, from intentional farming but it only took like a few hours at most

i dont remember if i got it a 2nd time due to pure chance when i was in that area looking for something else

sometimes i wonder though if people get the drop and they dont realize it especially if running auto loot as leads do not show up in your bag (and because you cant look at your active leads really at all on toons that havent unlocked antiquities using the base game UI)

love the display leads addon for keeping track of this stuff lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • HushAzrael
    HushAzrael
    ✭✭✭
    The drop rate for mythics that are basically REQUIRED at end game is insane. The kilt actually led to me quitting the game for several months. This stupid Moras whispers lead is about to do the same thing. Idk why ZOS doesn’t get it through their heads that excessive grind is not fun!!
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cut my teeth on MMOs in Everquest where just getting out of a starter town could be a grind. However, some of these drop rates on leads are just crazy. Now yes I know for some people they get them right away, and I have one some. I'm trying to farm the lead in Bal Foyen for the Harpooner pants nd I've killed over 4000 enemies and not gotten the lead. That just makes the game not enjoyable.

I farmed it for months with way more than 4000 killed and finally gave up. I gave up on Mora's whispers too, I admit I only spent weeks on that, but why it should require so much time for one lead is beyond me. Making something so unpleasant that you give up trying isn't the way to go for something that's supposed to be fun.
    Edited by MidniteOwl1913 on October 28, 2022 7:55PM
    PS5/NA
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Dwarven Ebon Wolf mount lead from Darkshade Caverns 2 took me 6 months+ of doing the dungeon on & off, even the people who were originally helping me got sick of that dungeon, and towars the end I was just soloing it, and cussin under my breath every time it did not drop. But once it did drop, it was like hallelujiah!, I'm never, ever, for whatever reason doing that dungeon again on any of my toons.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This could be Karma for sure. I got the lead from RoM on my first run through and then didn't get it till like the day it was going to expire.

It's frustrating too cause I just can't sit and grind like I use to lol. I use to do Mephisto MF runs in D2 for like like 18 hours a day, and was fine. now after more than like 20 minutes I start to get antsy and frustrated.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    thats some insanely bad luck

ive gotten that lead once, from intentional farming but it only took like a few hours at most

i dont remember if i got it a 2nd time due to pure chance when i was in that area looking for something else

sometimes i wonder though if people get the drop and they dont realize it especially if running auto loot as leads do not show up in your bag (and because you cant look at your active leads really at all on toons that havent unlocked antiquities using the base game UI)

love the display leads addon for keeping track of this stuff lol

Yeah I've had that one happen before. I've been checking every 10-15 minutes to make sure that doesn't happen. I know it happened to me on the Ebon Wolf Mount on the DS2 boss. I farmed it for a few months, then looked in my leads and it was there.
  • dutchusuk
    dutchusuk
    ✭✭✭
    I have only the leads farmed for 2 rings. I play just the game and dig up the leads i found ones a month, so no stress.
  • Roztlin45
    Roztlin45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lead.from banished cells, having a hard time.with. Parked all my toons outside and solo it over and over alternating between them. No luck yet.
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not saying the lead farm isn't a pain but so far for me they have not been too problematic.
    I haven't farmed all the recent mythics only just getting back into the game since markath but I got loads of leads just questing in the areas and then grinded the tidy up after, Like random clanfears for one lead or killing enemies in malabal tor and chests in alikir, I got them after only a few hours.

I remember farming the dwarvern wolf mount and some of those leads being a pain and I started to get the pet and that was tedious so I gave up.
    The only gripe I have is that leads are locked behind group content, it is very annoying.

I can't remember any lead taking me more than a few hours.

Thing is the leads are both placed in areas where I guess player count is less so they are intended to populate the areas, as well as the leads are meant to be got passively by RNG from doing the content rather than grinding, it is an us issue where we are grinding stuff out for the mythics that is the problem.
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should have tried farming for that BSW inferno staff before smart loot and sticker book. I swear that thing was a myth. I had over 500 runs in COA and the staff only dropped for me after smart loot was implemented and BSW was years past its prime.
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I stopped grinding for anything a couple years ago. It's not fun. I've learned to play without the latest and greatest mythic item and do just fine. Most mythic items are nerfed radically shortly after release anyway.
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should have tried farming for that BSW inferno staff before smart loot and sticker book. I swear that thing was a myth. I had over 500 runs in COA and the staff only dropped for me after smart loot was implemented and BSW was years past its prime.

I never found it that hard to drop, I found it hard to drop in anything other than prosperous!

When you look back at ESO before transmute and stickerbook you can see how damn stupid it was. RNG like that should never have been implemented.
  • Ashryn
    Ashryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The grind has led me to basically not give a damn...plain and simple! As for mythics...I used to care, but why, when they are nerfed to uselessness a short while later?
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blinx wrote: »
    The Dwarven Ebon Wolf mount lead from Darkshade Caverns 2 took me 6 months+ of doing the dungeon on & off, even the people who were originally helping me got sick of that dungeon, and towars the end I was just soloing it, and cussin under my breath every time it did not drop. But once it did drop, it was like hallelujiah!, I'm never, ever, for whatever reason doing that dungeon again on any of my toons.
    I got that on first run :wink:
    On the other hand I spend hours in an group delve in Craglorn for an lead on that wolf.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blinx wrote: »

Haha. that's actually my first lead ever. Just last month when I got back into the game.

But to OP, I feel you, I was juuuust doing this earlier. And I thought it was an easy grind, but boy was I wrong. ESO has been notorious for awful RNG, honestly, I'm just not gonna stress this. Otherwise it'll just make me quit again.
    "We're heroes, my boon companion, and heroes always win! Let that be a lesson to you."
    -Caldwell, "The Final Assault"

"There is always a choice. But you don't get to choose what is true, you only get to choose what you will do about it..."

-Abnur Tharn, "God of Schemes"]
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They shouldn't add more mythics that require excavating. It was the fun, new thing with the Western Skyrim DLC. Now it's just a pain in the ass ood mechanic that gets recycled over and over just because it's already in the game and that's easier then coming up with something new.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Oh I did that grind that as well. I've been playing since launch. I did find it well before the sticker book and smart loot though. I think I got it shortly after 1T actually, but yes I know people that had been looking since launch and only got it when it was like the 2nd or last item with smart loot.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Started farming the Mythic items when I came back into the game a month or so ago after a long break. Some of them have been a bit of work but progress has been steady. Of the 100 leads for the 20 Mythic items, I'm down to my last 13 missing leads.

I found things like the Asp Leather Strap (Lesse Sea Adders in High Isle) and Tide-Glass Beads (Water/Alchemy nodes in Shadowfen) to be the most time consuming. Chests and safe boxes were also a nuisance for me. I'll probably never get the Dov-Rha sabatons because of the Sunspire Trial lead and DLC requirements for others.

I'd agree that none of it is anywhere near as annoying as the pre transmute station and pre sticker book gear farming.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never grind.

In my main game, loads of years ago, I was madly grinding and realized over time how detrimental it was to my fun at the game. So, I questioned the necessity of it and realized it's a fake.
    Not to grind is easily possible: it just means to either give up on a few things (when I dislike the required actions) or to accept obtaining stuff later than other players (when required action is OK, but I let it go over time as I hate repeating the same in a row).
    Since I do that, game is always fun and grinding is banned from my gaming vocabulary.

Now to be honest, once in a blue moon, if I really want something and don't want the required struggle, my friends take over the job and I happily leech... :D
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This game has eternal nerf the old OP, release the new OP cycle. It only makes sense to grind something if you still want it after the nerf and combat changes of the quarter.
    BTW I've felt my casual key smashing has been even more off during the event. Has there been another lowering the floor after the update 35? (Off as starting to feel like I need to find some other casual game off.)
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've added a few posts on here complaining about this same thing. Then again I got all the leads for the OakenSoul ring in about 20 minutes. Took me longer to scry and dig them up than to get them. It all balances out in the end but it still sucks when it takes weeks for one lead. Psijic Portal leads kill me.
    Edited by Veinblood1965 on October 31, 2022 1:27PM
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've added a few posts on here complaining about this same thing. Then again I got all the leads for the OakenSoul ring in about 20 minutes. Took me longer to scry and dig them up than to get them. It all balances out in the end but it still sucks when it takes weeks for one lead. Psijic Portal leads kill me.

Yeah that lead out of the portals was terrible. I had a found a route though that took like 10-15 min to run through in Summerset, both ways I'd average 2-3 portals. Still took probably 2 days played over a month or so, but that wasn't nearly as frustrating as this has been. Like I got that one because those portals are spread out and randomly spawn. This there is a pth where I'm killing 22 or so enemies a minute and after like 14 hours of farming them still hadn't gotten it.
  • ClevaTreva
    ClevaTreva
    ✭✭✭
    Try farming the Watchlings for the Mora's lead... only to discover that you've been farming it for WEEKS... since you MISSED the notification that it dropped!

• NettleCarrier
    NettleCarrier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm currently subjecting myself to this pain. I finished all the monster trophies in 2020, all fishing, black market mogul, etc. so I've been looking for things to do. After discovering last week that I only owned 8 mythics I then set out to get the rest of the released ones. I've been farming one or two leads per day and it's quite insane how rare some of these are. I had my share of bad luck farming the kilt way back when it released (14+ hours of farming water nodes in the public dungeon before it dropped) but some of these are just crazy. I'm down to one or two dungeon leads, one treasure chest lead, and a few oddball ones that are just dragging on and on. My biggest headache right now is that one lead comes from Sunspire dragons, it's the only lead that I can't solo and it bugs me. Hardly anyone is interested in running Sunspire nowadays and even though I have managed to find 5 runs to join I'm still empty-handed. If you're going to require a TRIAL for a lead it should have an almost-guaranteed drop rate!
    GM of Gold Coast Corsairs - PCNA
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some of the leads are a real bear. I still haven't managed to get the lead out of DSA, and at this point I've given up trying.

Speaking of unnecessary grinds... the drop rate of leads for the Ancestral Daedric Motif Chapters is beyond ridiculous. I averaged 10 maps per lead for the first 5 leads that I received, and am currently on map number 16 without a lead. At a minimum of 20K-25K per map, that's a steep investment with ZERO return. Not sure if I'm just crazy or if something is amiss with the drop rate...

"Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • bachpain
    bachpain
    ✭✭✭✭
    The RNG on some leads is spirit crushing. I ran around collecting water plants for two stinking weeks before I got a lead. Another guy in zone chat was on his first hour asking how long it took, then gleefully posted his celebration of getting his. I almost uninstalled the game lol. It still took me another day or 2 before it popped.
  • Julia_Nix
    Julia_Nix
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried praying to RNGesus?
  • Nanasciro
    Nanasciro

I had the same problem as you try to change pg I did it and I give it to me after two enemies with the second character
  • LouisaB75
    LouisaB75
    ✭✭✭
    I have not done a lot of grinding for mythic leads yet but found the chests for the Ring of the Pale Order lead the worst so far.

I left it until last thinking that because I was familiar with the zone (due to accidentally spending a lot of time there when I first started playing a few months ago) I would do the harder leads first. Only to have the world boss drop his lead on the first attempt (when thankfully others were with me as there is no way I could have soloed him) and the delve boss on fourth, and only half an hour in the public dungeon for that one. I was so pleased and thought I would finish it all that same day. But then spent the best part of a weekend hunting down treasure chests.

I ended up activating the first level of the passive to make them more visible as it was getting to be such a pain... and learned then just how many chests I was missing entirely.

• Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CGPsaint wrote: »
    Some of the leads are a real bear. I still haven't managed to get the lead out of DSA, and at this point I've given up trying.

Speaking of unnecessary grinds... the drop rate of leads for the Ancestral Daedric Motif Chapters is beyond ridiculous. I averaged 10 maps per lead for the first 5 leads that I received, and am currently on map number 16 without a lead. At a minimum of 20K-25K per map, that's a steep investment with ZERO return. Not sure if I'm just crazy or if something is amiss with the drop rate...

honestly i feel that all of those motif leads are just way too low of drop rates to begin with, and probably tied to the most RNG of any lead
    • RNG of getting a map to drop in the first place
    • RNG of getting the right map to drop (zone that has the motif leads your looking for)
    • RNG of getting a lead in the chest
    • RNG of getting a lead that you actually need if your going for codex entries or learning the motif without buying the motif itself
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014