The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Soul Strike! and morphs

JerBearESO
JerBearESO
✭✭✭✭
Ability description starts out "Burn the enemy FROM THE INSIDE with soulfire". So...shouldn't this ignore armor?

At any rate, I would very much like to see this ability become more than a lesser version of the bow ult Rapid Fire and morphs. It offers nothing more other than the detect. So by killing Molag Bal you get a PvP nightblade counter? This doesn't add up.

Does it need armor bypass? Or maybe it applies a persistant slow? Maybe a stun? Should it have lifesteal?

What do you think, does Soul Strike need some love? And if so, what would you change about it?
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When slotted it does activate the Soul Shatter passive where if you fall to low HP it triggers and explodes dealing some damage to people around you. Think it's left the way it is because it doesn't require a certain weapon or class to use, you just have access to it regardless.

But it's not really a carbon copy of the bow's ultimate since one morph lasts longer and deals more damage, and the other causes the target to explode if killed by it. Ultimate seems fine to me for what it does.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • JerBearESO
    JerBearESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    i mean if you compare it to bow ult it comes down to doing far less damage per second and far far less overall damage while being very very nearly the same mechanic overall. just seems to me like it needs something
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not going to lie, I miss the snare and lower cost of the OG version of the skill.

* Soul Assault: This ability and its morphs no longer snare the enemy target.

Developer Comment: One of the main counters to channeled abilities is being able to break light of sight/out range the ability, which is extremely difficult when faced with a 70% snare.

* Increased the damage per tick for this ability and its morphs by approximately 22%, but increased the time it takes to deal its total damage to 5 seconds from 2.9 seconds to help reduce the bursty nature of the ultimate. This also means the CC immunity granted from activating the ability lasts the 5 seconds, instead of only 2.9.

-Increased the Reveal on this ability and its morphs to 3 seconds from 2 seconds.

-Increased the base cost to 175 Ultimate from 100 Ultimate.

At the end of the day. It makes sense to not have a low cost, ranged ultimate, that completely overwhelms someone with the only proper counter being block due to beiing too snared to line-of-sight, but it still feels lacking as OP has mentioned.

IMO the stealth reveal should last the whole duration of the ultimate to make it a proper anti stealth ultimate that one would choose over the comparable bow ultimate, which no longer takes a player out of stealth.
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been a long time since I used it I really didn't know it was bad now. Kinda sad... I used to use it on a magsorc. I took the morph that creates an explosion at the end it was pretty cool, plus the longer duration would occasionally make me have to cancel my own ultimate in order to play defense.

Curse, endless fury, then soul assault. Aaaah, good times.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw this ability used once like a month ago and had to do a double-take because I had NO IDEA what it even was. And this from someone who PvPs basically exclusively. That's also probably commentary enough about the state of this skill.

Not sure about the solution, though. Maybe lean into the AOE aspect of the one morph to at least add some better differentiation between them? As it is, it really does seem like a bargain-bin clone of Toxic Barrage (albeit with a way cooler animation).
  • JerBearESO
    JerBearESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw this ability used once like a month ago and had to do a double-take because I had ...clone of Toxic Barrage (albeit with a way cooler animation).

yeah i LOVE the way this ult looks! kinda why i wish i could justify using it. tried it out a lot on my necro, but couldn't out perform dawnbreaker by any means (since im not on bow anymore). was able to get a few kills on nightblades, but i feel i could have with dawn anyway.

i had forgotten this ult used to last 3 seconds. maybe they should make it tick faster to be a 3 second channel again, but then make the damage ramp over its duration. that would allow it to deal its damage faster but could still be counterplayed by LoS break before getting bursted with it.

though i still like that armor bypass would match up to its description xD
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    skill sucks because it was overnerfed.
    sure the damage is nice in theory but without its slow its so easily range broken its laughable.

give it a 50% slow and i can see it being a viable option, even if just for PvP.

to make it viable in PvE? just make it trigger the soul trap healing+resource restore morph if it kills its target while active
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried it recently, just for a fresh skill. This ult can get you killed in pvp. You hit it and youre stuck channeling mediocre damage for 6 seconds. Anyone with good burst can do double the damage against you.

Wicked cool animation, though. Kind of complements the Magicka Warden teal, whose skills are also pretty, and pretty useless in pvp.
    Edited by Caribou77 on October 23, 2022 6:31PM
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Caribou77 can't you cancel it yourself? I'm certain you used to be able to. Can't pretend to remember but I don't think it was hard. Simply press a skill. Or block. Or roll dodge.
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, roll dodge or another skill should cancel the channel, but I lag pretty often in pvp, and skills or backbar switch often take a couple of tries to work… so… not worth the risk.

I have a subpar oakensoul build just for when its laggy and I want to play.☺️
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, the trick is not to use soul assault, use the other morph. It deals the same per tic damage, but ANYTHING that causes the channel to complete makes it burst its aoe explosion. It sacrifices two tics of DoT to place an AoE alongside the last DoT tic. The AoE hits for equal to a DoT tic. Meaning you get the damage of roughly two tics at once.

This means:
    -block cancel it, it explodes.
    -enemy LOS, it explodes.
    -duration times out, it explodes.
    -you die, it explodes

Another trick to soul strike is that it's not great 1v1. It's more of a grouped skill. Allowing ur opponents to go full ham or heal up while it's going off.

If they accidently dodge roll they take a full tick....and these full tics hit for godly amounts, I'm getting about 3/4 of a meteor strike in one tic, so it's almost like throwing a meteor out every second.

Us a powerfull delayed burst skill and an unblockable stun with it, pepper them down to 50% health before you use it. Even if they don't die from it they've now gone from 100 to 0 and are in the process of recovering from it. And it drains stamina!

As it is it's very powerfull...love the skill

• tonyblack
    tonyblack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It used to be such fun ultimate before 5.1.5, it dealt respectable damage for its cost and provided clear advantages and drawbacks (in pvp). Now this skill is a meme worthy and wherever i see it i knew it was used by completely clueless player who was sold by the high tooltip and had no idea it hit like a wet noodle and could easily be broken. How soul assault was imbalanced is beyond me, it was never good against competent tanky players and the main niche of it had as a finisher, particularly against full medium well fitted stamblades. I wish it was reverted to former self.
  • Zekka
    Zekka
    ✭✭✭✭
    tonyblack wrote: »
    How soul assault was imbalanced is beyond me, it was never good against competent tanky players and the main niche of it had as a finisher, particularly against full medium well fitted stamblades. I wish it was reverted to former self.
    You answered your own question, it was really good at pinning rollerblades down with the massive snare it used to have + reveal so forumblades pushed very hard for it to be nerfed to oblivion, same with a lot of other things that used to kill them like the undodgeable power lash/soul harvest, or piercing mark.
    But yeah, these days you only see inexperienced PvP players using it... or someone tired of missbreaker who forgot how bad soul strike is now.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive played this game for 8.5 years and ive never used this ultimate lol

i do remember when it was more common pvp, and i still see it occasionally, but it is way weaker than it used to be
    Baconlad wrote: »
    So, the trick is not to use soul assault, use the other morph. It deals the same per tic damage, but ANYTHING that causes the channel to complete makes it burst its aoe explosion. It sacrifices two tics of DoT to place an AoE alongside the last DoT tic. The AoE hits for equal to a DoT tic. Meaning you get the damage of roughly two tics at once.

This means:
    -block cancel it, it explodes.
    -enemy LOS, it explodes.
    -duration times out, it explodes.
    -you die, it explodes

Another trick to soul strike is that it's not great 1v1. It's more of a grouped skill. Allowing ur opponents to go full ham or heal up while it's going off.

If they accidently dodge roll they take a full tick....and these full tics hit for godly amounts, I'm getting about 3/4 of a meteor strike in one tic, so it's almost like throwing a meteor out every second.

Us a powerfull delayed burst skill and an unblockable stun with it, pepper them down to 50% health before you use it. Even if they don't die from it they've now gone from 100 to 0 and are in the process of recovering from it. And it drains stamina!

As it is it's very powerfull...love the skill

i did not know that cancelling it still caused the explosion kind of like the unstable wall of elements

i would also agree with this that its best used on a target taking a lot of dmg, kind of like a universal templar jesus beam although it does not have the execute scaling
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • AinSoph
    AinSoph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The entire soul magic skill line should be reworked.
  • AinSoph
    AinSoph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    When slotted it does activate the Soul Shatter passive where if you fall to low HP it triggers and explodes dealing some damage to people around you. Think it's left the way it is because it doesn't require a certain weapon or class to use, you just have access to it regardless.

But it's not really a carbon copy of the bow's ultimate since one morph lasts longer and deals more damage, and the other causes the target to explode if killed by it. Ultimate seems fine to me for what it does.

That passive does like 2k damage on a 2 MINUTE timer and if you're below 20% HP in PvP you might as well be dead. I wouldn't be surprised if that passive hasn't been touched at all since it's release along with the free revive every hour.
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AinSoph wrote: »
    Vevvev wrote: »

That passive does like 2k damage on a 2 MINUTE timer and if you're below 20% HP in PvP you might as well be dead. I wouldn't be surprised if that passive hasn't been touched at all since it's release along with the free revive every hour.

outside of soul assault getting nerfed over the years and 1 buff to the other active skill a couple of years ago and the general DoT nerf from U35, I don't think this skill line has been touched at all (especially the passives).

I kind of get it, it used to be a completely free skill line that you started out with and that everyone has access to, so it definitely wasn't supposed to be as strong as the other skill lines that required being unlocked, but yeah, it's another skill line in the game that is long overdue for an update.