The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

What is the reason for price change?

Soulshine
Soulshine
✭✭✭✭✭
My membership to ESO has been the same since day one, on 180 days. I noticed the notice for renewal now indicates that I will be charge at a 30 days rate. Why? There is no explanation provided to explain this.

seny446mtcvf.png
Edited by ZOS_Bill on October 25, 2022 5:47PM
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They say that some regions forbid autorenewal longer than 30 days:

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57145
  • Kendric5
    Kendric5
    ✭✭✭
    The 90 day one doesn't say the same thing.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kendric5 wrote: »
    The 90 day one doesn't say the same thing.

The help link above shows that the message does not appear until you select an option, and then it appears under the one you have selected. In OP's image, the 180-day one is selected and is the only one to show the message about autorenewing at the higher rate. In the help link, the 365-day one is selected and is the only one to show the message instead. If OP clicked on the 90-day, it would likely show the message there, since the issue is any term over 30 days.
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

That reads confusing for me. So I am supposed to cancel my current membership and re-sub to get 180 day pricing eventhough now I cannot sub for 180 days? What?
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soulshine wrote: »

That reads confusing for me. So I am supposed to cancel my current membership and re-sub to get 180 day pricing eventhough now I cannot sub for 180 days? What?

You can sub for 180 days. Your region forbids ZOS from autorenewing it for 180 days, though.

So you must manually cancel and renew it to get the 180-day term and pricing.

ETA: Be careful, though - you might want to wait until just before your current 180-day term expires to do that.

Presumably this is a customer protection measure designed to keep companies from autorenewing expensive long-term policies for people who may not want that anymore. If you did not want to renew, for example, but missed the fact that these subs autorenew or forgot to cancel, you'd only be charged $14.99 instead of $77.94 at the autorenewal date, and you'd only be committed to a 30-day term instead of a 180-day term.
    Edited by virtus753 on October 24, 2022 6:14PM
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can sub for 180 days. Your region forbids ZOS from autorenewing it for 180 days, though.

ETA: Be careful, though - you might want to wait until just before your current 180-day term expires to do that.

Presumably this is a customer protection measure designed to keep companies from autorenewing expensive long-term policies for people who may not want that anymore. If you did not want to renew, for example, but missed the fact that these subs autorenew or forgot to cancel, you'd only be charged $14.99 instead of $77.94 at the autorenewal date, and you'd only be committed to a 30-day term instead of a 180-day term.

Hm. I guess that makes sense, though it would have been helpful for them to send some sort of notice. I will have to keep an eye on it and see if that goes through as you say. I did submit a ticket just in case before posting here since well aware this thread may get pulled.
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Here in New Zealand I can sub for up to a year but they charge MORE per month if I sub for 3/6/12 months then they do if I buy them one month at a time.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Hm. I guess that makes sense, though it would have been helpful for them to send some sort of notice. I will have to keep an eye on it and see if that goes through as you say. I did submit a ticket just in case before posting here since well aware this thread may get pulled.

Yes, I hope that at the very least they put a link to the help page on that ordering site. It only took a minute or two to Google, but it'd be a better business practice to include a link right there so players understand what's going on and why and what they can do about it.

I'm glad you submitted a ticket - hopefully that gets passed along so they can see that keeping the info on an unlinked help page is liable to confuse and put off people at the point of purchase, which is exactly the worst time for a company to risk that.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you sure it needs to be cancelled and renewed? I would think that, the next time the sub comes up for renewal, jyst manually select the 180-day option. As you said, ZOS may be forbidden from autorenewing at anything above 30 days, so the subscriber must now manually select the desired sub renewal length when the sub is being manually renewed. It should only switch to the 30-day period if the renewal is allowed to occur automatically upon expiration rather than manually renewed before expiration. I think.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • ziggy29
    ziggy29
    ✭✭✭
    Just make a note on your calendar to renew for 6 months on the day before it expires. Sounds like, as others said, your jurisdiction doesn't allow longer terms for autorenewal.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

Are you sure it needs to be cancelled and renewed? I would think that, the next time the sub comes up for renewal, jyst manually select the 180-day option. As you said, ZOS may be forbidden from autorenewing at anything above 30 days, so the subscriber must now manually select the desired sub renewal length when the sub is being manually renewed. It should only switch to the 30-day period if the renewal is allowed to occur automatically upon expiration rather than manually renewed before expiration. I think.

That is what ZOS prescribes in the link above. They also note that if you cancel, you still get the full duration of the purchase. (I can confirm that - I cancelled my year-long subscription due to the way ZOS has implemented, handled, and responded to player concerns regarding a spectrum of issues from gender expression/equality to Update 35, but my sub perks are still good through April. At that point I'll decide if the game is in a place where I want to continue to support it with a subscription or let it lapse.) So you can certainly cancel a week (or more) ahead of time and still get the remainder of your original sub for continuous coverage. The new purchase begins at the end of that period.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get the sub, wait 24 hours, cancel the sub, manually sub again for the discount you want when it expires. Annoying as heck, but that's the way it goes.
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get the sub, wait 24 hours, cancel the sub, manually sub again for the discount you want when it expires. Annoying as heck, but that's the way it goes.

^ this.
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As the OP question regarding ESO Plus renewing has been answered, we have decided to close the discussion. For further information please see our FAQ linked below.

What can I do if my region restricts auto-renewal memberships longer than 30 days?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.