The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Computer shuts down when starting up ESO.

MightyHarken
MightyHarken
✭✭✭
Sup guys, not sure if someone here can help me, but the support channel is pretty much abandoned.
whenever I try to start up ESO, after a couple of minutes of cutscenes, my computer shuts down entirely.
here are my specs:
3060RTX
AMD RYZEN 7 5700X 8 CORE
16GB RAM
500 GB SD MEMORY+
PSU 650W

Things I've tried:
1. Changing Windows profiles
2. Using GEFORCE EXPERIENCE to make game start with minimum settings and
in window mode.
3. Disabling Cutscenes from settings in my documents for the ESO folder.
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How's your computer's temperature? An overheated PC will shut itself down automatically to prevent hardware damage. When running a program causes it to get too hot, sometimes this only takes minutes.

I'd check for dust inside the machine, make sure the vents are clear, and make sure that the cooling system is working as it should.
    Edited by FluffyReachWitch on October 24, 2022 2:10AM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    How's your computer's temperature? An overheated PC will shut itself down automatically to prevent hardware damage. When running a program causes it to get too hot, sometimes this only takes minutes.

I'd check for dust inside the machine, make sure the vents are clear, and make sure that the cooling system is working as it should.

This post brings up some good points. There could be a piece of equipment starting to fail or other issues. Open up a ticket with Support explaining the issue. There is a report they may ask you to run that can give some insight into what is happening when you try to start the game.

If you post your ticket in this thread, one of the Zenimax people may be able to help with the ticket. Good luck.
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check your CPU fan and maybe the PSU. Definitely sounds like an overheating issue.
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nowadays hardware is overclocked by default. I would remove overclock from CPU, GPU and RAM and see if PC is stable.
  • Harold_Hedd
    Harold_Hedd
    ✭✭✭
    It could be a lot of things, but I would also pull the side of and take a look inside.

And check if anything has come loose or if it sits right in the slots, maybe some contact points are corroded and needs to be wriggled a little bit. Also the cables.

There could be some display on the motherboard showing some code during start up and maybe you could watch it from pressing the power button and till it shuts down. There are usually a translation in the motherboard manual.

To me it doesn't seem like ESO is that requirement heavy, so maybe you could run some cpu and gpu tests and see if the problem ocuurs with them.