Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Magplar set options questions!

Baconlad
Baconlad
✭✭✭✭✭
Ight so I'm currently in:

- pillar of nirn 3 piece medium two jewels
- orders wrath 3 piece light and fire staff
- slimecraw shoulder in light
-oakensoul (sorry it's a build absolute, barswaps outa the question)

I generally run:
-blazing spear (but don't use it for single target as my spammable does same parse without it)
-radiant destruction
-ritual of retribution/ vampires bane
-dark flare (swapping in sweeps only for soloing)
-channeled focus/honor the dead/ general flex spot

My damage currently on trials parse is 70-75k

So there are three sets I'm looking at
-relequen to replace pillar of nirn
-siroria to replace orders wrath
-whorl of depths to replace orders wrath

What do you think about replacing my current sets with two of these three?
Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 21, 2022 5:33PM
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Since bar swapping is out of the question, are light attacks as well?
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would you ask that?
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Baconlad wrote: »
    Why would you ask that?

I wasnt sure if youre using Oak because you don't want to bar swap, or its how you want to play. If LAs are an issue, then the Siroria, Relequens, and Whorl all depend on them, or heavies. There may be a better option for you.
  • Memory_In_Motion
    Memory_In_Motion
    ✭✭✭✭
    why not bring some fire with bsw and sunderflame?
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I run Whorl with Nirn, the kilt, and a piece of Slimecraw, but I barswap. I don't know why you don't run 5 pieces of light Order's Wrath, unless its because you don't have the Nirn staff.

I would keep Nirn. Its currently the preferred back bar set for magicka. If you are doing dungeons/trials, I'd go with trials gear over Order's Wrath. Siroria is strong for fights where you are stationary. Whorl works well with stationary boss fights. Bahsei can even work well if you are constantly below 50% in your magicka during boss fights.

Relequen works well with mobile boss fights. However, I don't know how it compares to Nirn, to be honest. Seems like it should outperform Nirn as there is no cooldown. Never thought of putting it on a magplar but that's because I barswap

EDIT: It occurred to me you can run your build with daggers instead of a staff as none of your skills are destro staff based. Which means a set like Berserking Warrior could be an option, too, due to the melee damage proc condition. It may be more difficult to keep stacks up without a melee skill like Deadly Cloak, or Biting Jabs, but the light attacks with daggers would make it possible. But you would give up a source of sustain.
    Edited by El_Borracho on October 20, 2022 7:36PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why not bring some fire with bsw and sunderflame?

Those would certainly be a DPS loss compared to what he has.

Your gear is fine. Typically, you only want one trial set in a build. I would only run one of the ones you mentioned (siroria, rele, whorl) with Pillar, and I would only replace orders wrath if you are at the crit damage cap (which takes a good group everywhere but the trial dummy). Otherwise, you wont notice the difference.
    Why would you ask that?

The Light Attack question is highly relevant. A lot of people that struggle to bar swap also struggle to weave. If you struggle to weave, all those sets above are terrible options.

Is Whorl/Pillar Meta for most things on a dummy, yes, but man are you splitting hairs for most real life content. The dummy also basically means you are at the Crit Damage Cap almost without trying. As long as you have one piece of medium armor, you are there in your current setup (with three pieces you are 4% over). In most group, you still have a ways to go to hit the cap. (In other words, Orders wrath is closer to or even ahead of the trial sets outside the dummy or a very well coordinated group).

A note on Crit Damage Cap:
    Your base is 50% and your cap is 125%. You only need 30% crit damage to cap yourself on the trial dummy, because the dummy is giving Major Force (20%), EC (15%), and brittle (10%). Your current setup is giving 10% (templar passive), 8% (orders wrath), 10% (minor force from Oakensoul). One piece of medium armor (2% per piece) caps you, and you have 3. So be sure you arent running Backstabber or Fighting Finesse when parsing, as they are a total waste. Outside of a trial dummy, you probably wont be capped unless your group is really on point, which closes the gap between orders wrath and the trial sets, and also brings Backstabber and Fighting Finesse back into play.

If you just want to see your dummy parse go up, sure, run one of the above instead of OW (they are all really close), and either go 5 pieces of medium if you can sustain it or go at least one piece and slot fighting finesse. Again, a templar with oakensoul needs to find 10% crit damage from somewhere on a trial dummy, so a combination of CP and medium armor is the way if you drop OW. You really only need one piece of light armor (and the non slottable CP that gives penetration) to cap your penetration on a dummy. After that, medium is better than light for raw damage (even if over the crit cap), but you need to make sure you can sustain your rotation. If you need to heavy attack even once on a trial dummy, your sustain is bad.

Edit: made some edits, so might be worth a re-read.

All that said, if you want to improve your damage, it's Rotation Rotation Rotation. Gear is an afterthought.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on October 20, 2022 8:17PM
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve gone with Rele (body) + Deadly, maelstrom 2H backbar and 2pc Zaan this patch for parsing and all content. I also still run sweeps. Managed to hit 111K on the dummy with it and for 98% of the games content the gear and skill setup don’t need to change on magplar. Contrasted to Rele + PON where I hit 114K. The 3K increase in damage barely makes a difference at this level.
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome responses. I've been playing for a very long time. But I NEVER cared to get into trials before. I've been light attack weaving since I learned it years ago. I just kinda assumed everyone did it which is why my confusion.

Yeah I'm pretty set on staff, dark flare and one bar. The issue I have with backbar is that having all of those buffs and debuffs just make pve not fun for me, keeping track of them feels like such a chore. This build give me one or two things I have to keep up on dot wise and I love it. Also dark flare has been my main spammable in PvP and solo PvE since summerset, i love that skill and since they nerfed the appearance of spear im now even less likely to run it. Never had more fun in PvE.

So this is the first time I'm hearing about light armor being irrelevant almost. I went with three medium cause I saw so many other magplar running medium.

Seems like there are so many options that are so close. I'm definitely looking to build an easy play experience, but I don't want to over do it with crit damage. I'll have to sit down and go back over my crit damage numbers with OW and see where I'm at.

I like the idea of relequen, I hate having my pillar of nirn drop off on nothing cause the boss moves. So I will probably drop nirn for rele. I guess that leaves the question of orders wrath vs whorl or sororia.

Wrath does give me a boatload of crit the other two don't give me. I'm running thief and precise BTW.

Thanks for all the responses!
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I may have figured out why nirn does so well compared to rele. Bleed status effect. Rele doesn't proc hemorrhage effect! Gives it a 4 second dot on top of the huge 10 dot it already had
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I may have figured out why nirn does so well compared to rele. Bleed status effect. Rele doesn't proc hemorrhage effect! Gives it a 4 second dot on top of the huge 10 dot it already had

I think one reason its so popular is that it works really well as a back bar set. As long as you hit your back bar every 10 seconds, you will keep it up. It allows you to actually get the benefit of two 5 piece sets (you would front bar a trial set), a mythic (usually kilt), and a 2 piece monster. I think it loses at least some of its appeal on a one bar build, but still very strong and easy to keep up 100%. Because Oaken gives minor slayer, you really don't need a trial set.

For most classic 2 bar setups, Rele is really good for single target, but its kind of a one trick pony, it also doesn't do well on only a front/back bar (doesn't matter in your case). Hits one thing really hard (good for parsing). Siroria and Whorl both boost cleave damage, and both work well only on your front bar. Personally, I actually like Siroria better. As long as you don't dance all over the place, its easy to keep good stacks.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably go with your set of Orders Wrath and Pillar 95% of the time. If you want to take it to the next level, make a set of Whorl that you can swap in for Orders Wrath when parsing or in a more optimized group. If you are miles below the crit damage cap, OW will be ahead of Whorl. Pair with Oakensoul and 1 piece Slimecraw as you have.

If you really want to cover your bases, give yourself the ability to adjust your Light/Medium armor pieces depending on your group pen/crit damage. You dont need to go crazy, but I always carry my monster sets in both light and medium. I run as few as 2 medium pieces and as many as 5 depending on group/content. 3 is not a bad set and forget number.

Honestly, I doubt you will beat the combo of Pillar/OW in actual content (and there is nothing to micromanage), but Pillar and either Whorl or perhaps Rele will be ahead on a dummy or when at the crit cap. OW is one of those sets that is super strong, but at some point, it effectively becomes useless because the bonus it gives has a hard cap.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on October 21, 2022 5:56AM
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

... Rotation Rotation Rotation...

@Oreyn_Bearclaw That should be your motto. 😅
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

... Rotation Rotation Rotation...

@Oreyn_Bearclaw That should be your motto. 😅

It is! LOL

I have spent a lot of my time in ESO trying to help people pump out more DPS, both on these forums and in game. 99/100 times, their gear is NOT the issue. 5-6 years ago, there was a lot more gear disparity, now there are like 15 different combos that are within 2% of meta. And sure, there are things you can do on the margins to min/max for your parse, and perhaps, you might make a few build adjustments to squeeze out a few K here and there, but DPS in this game is all about rotation (rotation rotation :smile: ).

OP is actually a great example. I am not sure you can beat the gear setup he already has for a one bar build in 99% of content, but I can also tell that on a dummy, he is over the crit damage cap. So yes, a gear/CP change should see more dummy DPS. Will that change result in more DPS in real content? Depends on the group and the buffs he is getting.

• ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Players Helping Players section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok so I havnt been able to test it. But I've taken all my crit damage off of CP. I thought my math was right but as you said I'm probably over cap as there's buffs I'm not calculating in on the dummy.

Reason I've been so obsessed with the parse lately is that I'm trying to see where I am consistently, I've swapped from dw and fire staff, swapped different dots in and out, swapped sweeps for ele weapon and dark flare. I've actually discovered that when I'm able to just spam light attack and a spammable and have less dots to keep up I'm gaining DPS.

Like for me using blazing spear, it's not increasing my DPS. I think it may be that the damage isn't worth the cast time?

Purifying light increases by 1k consistently. But to me that skill isn't worth the mag cost just for 1k increase and the headache of getting out of my dark flare spam.

So now I'm trying to see what skill supplements dark flare the most. Seems like the super long lasting are the best...I don't know I'm babbling.

Also. Why was this moved to a dead thread? Lol