The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

But I don't like chaos ball..?

• ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While it's better than capture the relic, I don't like chaos ball either.
    I wish the weekends would just be completely free queue modes so it's not too overbearing and people get locked out of playing what they want to play.

Because capture the relic weekend felt like such a drag, despite me liking how fast paced BG combat is
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly BGs are such a small part of ESO surely there is something else you like doing in it for 5 days if u can’t bear Chaos Ball?
    Or go play a game that is all BGs like For Honor.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr_Con wrote: »
    jaws343 wrote: »
    Dr_Con wrote: »
    At least it isn't another tank *** fest capture the relic, crazy king, or domination

Huh?

Chaos ball is the definition of a tank fest. Like, that is the entire purpose of the objective. Be as tanky as possible, hold ball.

The person with the ball takes continuous damage, this damage is also spread to teammates who stack on them. I don't think it's possible to get more than 150 points before the ball bearer dies, no matter how tanky you are. It's less of a stand in one spot and survive game like domination/crazy king or stand in one spot and continuously bash game like Capture the Relic... terrain and mobility are important, as well as incoming damage and duration of holding the ball.

Your same argument could be made about Deathmatch as well as the group that dies the least also gives up the fewest points, allowing your team to burst down weaker targets, but fact of the matter is that chaosball is not as terrible with this tank meta as the first three game modes I mentioned.

It is absolutely possible to get more than 150 points in one go. I regularly hit 200 on my mag sorc with just 1 heal and shields. I've seen actual tanks hold it for around 300. The ramping damage is way too low.

The difference with DM, and I mentioned it in another comment, is that tanky players can straight up be ignored. A tanky player with the chaos ball is the objective and therefore they can completely break a match.

IDK, I find it crazy that dummy parsing with a PVP burst build on 1 player for 2+ minutes is considered great gameplay.
    Edited by jaws343 on October 14, 2022 12:30PM
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    The point I'm trying to make is, these one-game-mode battleground "weekends" suck. No one asked for them, and I've yet to meet someone who likes them.

If they can be removed, or placed in their own separate queue for everyone to ignore, that would be great.

We had quite of a bit of players asking for event "weekends" (I would also like a 5 day weekend) like this from all of our communication methods. That's why we worked on putting these events together. However, we are still taking feedback on how these can be improved and sharing them with the dev team. Just wanted to clarify that while it may not be everyone's cup of tea, this was indeed asked for by a section of the community.

And we've only had one so far. Chaosball is the second. It's a little too early to come to the conclusion that nobody likes these. We'll be monitoring the popularity over time, reviewing feedback, and make adjustments if needed. But if we don't try, we won't know what the outcome of these events will be.

@ZOS_Kevin Thanks for the reply. For what it's worth, most of the players in my PvP guild (almost exclusively BG players) don't take issue with the weekends themselves. In fact, most of the players in my guild love the idea for the weekends, but have two main issues with how they've been implemented.

1) The extra AP is almost meaningless. 25% of an already small amount of AP feels like a very lackluster bonus/incentive. On top of that, AP is pretty much worthless to the vast majority of BG players, as by this point in the games life cycle most pure PvPers are swimming in AP. Maybe special motifs that only drop during the events? Or possibly gold/gold mats? Gold is a little harder to make for most PvPers as they spend most of their time PvPing and making new builds.

2) The game modes are poorly balanced, so by limiting the possible gamemodes, people that know how to cheese the event mode come out of the woodwork. For example, in this Chaos Ball weekend, you'll get perma-block tanks with Meditate that hold the ball until they're about to die, then jump off a ledge so that no one else can grab the ball before it respawns in the center, allowing the tank to rinse and repeat. In addition to this, there's a number of ledges, crevices, and hidey-holes that some players will use to prevent people from getting to them while they have the ball. Finally, because there's no snare on the ball, someone with max movespeed and decent self heals can just run around the map while holding the ball and there isn't much that can be done. In my opinion, the ball damage needs to scale higher/faster, and there needs to be an uncleansable snare on the ball.

The capture the relic weekend saw similar issues, with people running things to cheese the mode such as Meridia's Blessed Armor to prevent people from interrupting them while grabbing a relic. The remaining modes will see similar imbalances being exploited (with Domination being perhaps the least balanced mode).

A lot of vet PvPers and "turbo DMers" love the fact that a PvP event like this will exist going forward, but there could be a lot of improvement seen with just a few small changes.
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on October 14, 2022 12:48PM
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    M0ntie wrote: »
    Honestly BGs are such a small part of ESO surely there is something else you like doing in it for 5 days if u can’t bear Chaos Ball?
    Or go play a game that is all BGs like For Honor.

Nice logic. "Dont like chaos ball, go do something else'. It's the exact same precedent as people complaining about TDM only. Except on a less egregious scale because it's only 5 days.

But I don't see why people should only be forced into 1 game mode when ZoS keeps saying "play how you want". Imagine if undaunted dungeon events locked you into queuing only into Lair of maarselok for 5 days. People wouldn't like that either.

• ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Just wanted to pop in one more time and thank everyone for their feedback. It's helpful to get feedback like this to share with the rest of the dev team. Both if you like and don't like the weekends. I'll follow up if there is any follow up dev commentary they would like to share based on this. Thanks again.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Dem_kitkats1
    Dem_kitkats1
    ✭✭✭✭
    I understand not enjoying specific modes (I absolutely hate CTR). However, there are subsets of the community that are in favor of and enjoy every mode. So it would be a shame to exclude them now. I think these weekends do offer an interesting insight into how popular, or unpopular each mode is, and what issues arise for players during gameplay. Hopefully ZOS takes the feedback regarding them into consideration moving forward.

Personally, I think the BGs weekend events are a welcome addition to the game. However, like others have mentioned, the rewards are too low. 25% extra AP is too low for those who PvP regularly, and is not incentivizing enough for new players, or PvE players to participate. Anything like extra gold, transmutes, gold mats, gold weapon drops, or motif drops, on top of at least 50% more AP would make the weekends much more rewarding and worth participating in.

As for the mode Chaosball, itself, I think there needs to be a snare, or an increase in the ramping damage. Players can easily cheese this mode by building a pure block tank, or simply stack mobility causing the mode to become a game of chase, or a chaotic DM. Players also use crevices, and holes in the maps that are difficult to reach for other players, ruining the gameplay of that mode. It's clear these are persistent issues as many others have expressed the same concerns. A little tweaking would go a long way with Chaosball.
    Edited by Dem_kitkats1 on October 19, 2022 1:02PM
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Accept or do something else. This week events is good thing some day you will have whole weekend of Deathmatches.
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I dont understand how ''adding new pvp content'' is restricting said pvp content into 1 mode?
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not against 1 type of mode for a couple of days, but 5 may be a bit too long.
    3 days Friday through Sunday would probably be enough.
    Chaosball can be a fun mode actually as it actually encourages fighting, unless you find one those glitches spots and ruin everyone else's game.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have not done a battleground in my entire time in the game (6 or so years now). So this event is just something I ignore.

I would be bothered if it had tickets with it, but just having bonus stuff for the activity is fine.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chaosball weekend is hard to try to enjoy because these objective game modes are very easy to cheese. I joined a game with this speed build Sorcerer, and the game was over in 3 minutes because all they did was run around.

How are we supposed to PVP while doing the objective when you can't even reach the objective? I could have fun pvp'ing if I just ignored the objective but chaosball encourages just running for the entire game to win. But if I wanna try the objective, the entire match is just chasing people who don't want to be caught.

Chaosball weekend only makes this problem WORSE, because if you are guaranteed chaosball the entire time, you know you can bring in your max speed character because the game mode encourages this playstyle

ZOS if you are seeing this, PLEASE add a snare onto the chaosball so you can't spend the entire game running around. Playing cat and mouse for 3 minutes is not fun. @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin
    Edited by xDeusEJRx on October 15, 2022 6:51PM

• Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I’ve experienced and observed:

Players would like a queue for Deathmatch or Other.

Also: No one wants just one bg mode all weekend.

And: Players would love new bg content.
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will take any bg event, but 25% ap is meh.

Maybe make it so that winners get +100% ap and xp.

Or winners get 10 transmute crystals.

Or winners get legendary equipment.

Or winners get legendary level crafting materials.
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just not jazzed on the fact that chaos ball, capture the relic and crazy kings end up being tankfests. I feel like I gotta go make one to even participate. To each their own. I mean I barely pvp now anyway post 35. I used to because I wanted the fanged worm chest drop and to finally make legate but I kinda just gave up. It became really un-fun..
    Edited by boi_anachronism_ on October 19, 2022 9:26PM
  • Kappachi
    Kappachi
    ✭✭✭✭
    The point I'm trying to make is, these one-game-mode battleground "weekends" suck. No one asked for them, and I've yet to meet someone who likes them.

If they can be removed, or placed in their own separate queue for everyone to ignore, that would be great.

We had quite of a bit of players asking for event "weekends" (I would also like a 5 day weekend) like this from all of our communication methods. That's why we worked on putting these events together. However, we are still taking feedback on how these can be improved and sharing them with the dev team. Just wanted to clarify that while it may not be everyone's cup of tea, this was indeed asked for by a section of the community.

And we've only had one so far. Chaosball is the second. It's a little too early to come to the conclusion that nobody likes these. We'll be monitoring the popularity over time, reviewing feedback, and make adjustments if needed. But if we don't try, we won't know what the outcome of these events will be.

The idea is alright, the execution is poor in my opinion. I don't want to play the same game mode for 5 days in a row, or even 2 days, I like the variety of the random battlegrounds and don't want to be forced into just playing one mode. Please give an option for both event and regular battlegrounds queueing during these events.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kappachi wrote: »

The idea is alright, the execution is poor in my opinion. I don't want to play the same game mode for 5 days in a row, or even 2 days, I like the variety of the random battlegrounds and don't want to be forced into just playing one mode. Please give an option for both event and regular battlegrounds queueing during these events.

if they could probably keep those 2 queues separate, i wouldnt even be mad if the non-event one was just deathmatch all the time for those people, while the random queue stays random with normal rewards
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Icyfire369
    Icyfire369
    ✭✭✭
    Kappachi wrote: »

if they could probably keep those 2 queues separate, i wouldnt even be mad if the non-event one was just deathmatch all the time for those people, while the random queue stays random with normal rewards

The key here is when they do implement the weekend event for the game mode.
    There should be FOUR queues available.

For Example: Crazy King Weekend Event from Friday (10AM EST) to Monday (10AM EST)

Queue 1 - Solo Crazy King.
    Queue 2 - Group Crazy King.
    Queue 3 - Normal Solo queue (no Crazy King).
    Queue 4 - Normal Group queue (no Crazy King).

It's only for 72 hours (3 days).

These Battleground Weekend Events should be EVERY weekend not ONCE a month.