The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Allow uninstalling ToT

AnduinTryggva
AnduinTryggva
✭✭✭✭✭
Please allow people to uninstall ToT from the game.

It has become an annoying addiction and if I cannot uninstall it I may need to uninstall eso to get rid of it.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's become an addiction, it seems like uninstalling it wouldn't help much, because eventually you'd probably just reinstall it. As with any addiction, you really need to have the strength of will to avoid the thing you're addicted to even when it's right in front of you.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm yeah games of chance can be pretty addictive. This is a good suggestion. Perhaps not uninstall as I don't think they can do that, but perhaps they could let you submit a ticket so that you can have that feature blocked.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on October 5, 2022 4:51PM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or maybe they can implement an in-game way that locks you out of this activity for a period of time? Though I don't think it might happen given how the crate system (which is linked to gambling addiction) is still alive and kicking... But these would be only half measures, as somebody else mentioned above the best way would be to deal with it in a more holistic way.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    If it's become an addiction, it seems like uninstalling it wouldn't help much, because eventually you'd probably just reinstall it. As with any addiction, you really need to have the strength of will to avoid the thing you're addicted to even when it's right in front of you.

Getting rid of temptation is a good way to help recover from addiction. They generally don't recommend alcoholics keep hitting up bars, for example.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

Getting rid of temptation is a good way to help recover from addiction. They generally don't recommend alcoholics keep hitting up bars, for example.

Yes, but neither do they recommend avoiding any city that happens to have a bar on it. Just because there's a bar nearby does not mean you need to walk into it.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sympathize with the OP because ToT is having a negative effect on me as well. If I win a game I feel that I'm on a lucky streak so I play another. And if I lose a game I feel pressured to play another to make up for the loss.

I have all the achievements and 2 sets of trophies displayed in a couple of my houses so there is really no need to continue playing every day except to reach the top of the leaderboard which I don't care about. But since I've been Rubedite twice so far I feel pressured to keep that status.

I know it's up to me to not let this game control me this way but that's easier said than done. I'd like a way to disable it even if just temporarily so I can take a break and get it back in perspective.

I'm really starting to think this game was a bad idea because it has such a strong potential to cause these negative experiences.
    Edited by SilverBride on October 5, 2022 5:29PM
    PCNA
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, but neither do they recommend avoiding any city that happens to have a bar on it. Just because there's a bar nearby does not mean you need to walk into it.

Having TOT installed on your system is more akin to going into the bar than doing unrelated things that happen to be in the same neighborhood. It's like being at the bar but trying to only eat the nachos. Uninstalling the game and only playing other games that are not addictive to the person (or if they have a general video game addiction, not playing games at all) is a solid course of action.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on October 5, 2022 5:35PM
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I sympathize with the OP because ToT is having a negative effect on me as well. If I win a game I feel that I'm on a lucky streak so I play another. And if I lose a game I feel pressured to play another to make up for the loss.

I'm definitely more sensitive to losing streaks in Tribute, as well. Something I learned from a competitive player in another game is that when I lose, I try to remember that getting better is about improving my average win/loss ratio and gaining experience, not winning each individual game.

If the players in the top 100 let themselves get that drained by each loss, they'd lose their mind! I think a lot of them aren't just good at the game, but also the emotional side of competitive play.

I still get disappointed, and just take a break if I'm feeling too let down. Sometimes I get stubborn and need to play until I win one, but I try to anticipate that feeling and redirect it early. I try not to get hooked on negativity or feeling compulsive, but it's hard sometimes lol.

Playing with friends has been nice, too, and a good opportunity to talk about strategy. I've been able to teach someone how to play and strategize recently, and that was actually pretty rewarding.

I also try to focus on deciding what my goals are—get into rubedite, do my best in each rubedite ranked game, have fun, play each game as fast as possible, and avoid getting stalled out by Rajhin players lol.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Having TOT installed on your system is more akin to going into the bar than doing unrelated things that happen to be in the same neighborhood. It's like being at the bar but trying to only eat the nachos. Uninstalling the game and only playing other games that are not addictive to the person (or if they have a general video game addiction, not playing games at all) is a solid course of action.

I really think it's a question of strength of willpower, and the way you get stronger at something is by practicing it.

And where are you going to draw the line?

I have a difficult time passing by a resource node without running over to harvest it, even if I'm rushing to get to a world boss or incursion before a crowd of OP players insta-melt everything and leave me waiting 15 minutes for the respawn. And once I grab one node, I see another one just over there and want to run to it, even if it takes me further from where I'm supposedly headed to. And that one puts me within sight of another, and then another, and then another. Would I be justified in declaring that harvesting resource nodes "has become an annoying addiction" and requesting that ZOS provide some way for players to uninstall resource nodes from the game so they'll no longer be an annoying distraction?

What about players who grind and grind and grind for some coveted lead, day after day after day? Should they be requesting that ZOS provide a way for them to uninstall the Antiquities system from the game?

What about players who spend countless hours, and thousands or even millions of gold, on outfitting each of their characters in an obsessive search for some "perfect look"? Maybe they should reauest that ZOS provide a way for them to uninstall the outfitting system from the game.

Spending too many Crowns, too much in-game gold, and too many hours on acquiring player housing and then furnishing it? Hey, it isn't your fault at all, because you're just a helpless pawn of the game developers, completely unable to make your own decisions and absolutely justified in blaming your lack of willpower on the fact that somebody else is responsible for any shortcomings you might have or any bad decisions you might be making. Just shift all responsibility for your actions and choices onto someone or something outside of yourself, because that's easier than actually trying to exert any self-control over your own life.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how passing the buck instead of simply getting a grip on your "addiction" can be a good thing. I'm sure I'll take some flak for my outlook, but that's how I see it.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but I just don't see how passing the buck instead of simply getting a grip on your "addiction" can be a good thing. I'm sure I'll take some flak for my outlook, but that's how I see it.

The OP isn't passing the buck to anyone. ToT has become an addiction for him and he's looking for a solution so he can continue to enjoy ESO without ToT constantly tempting him.
    PCNA
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    To remove it would possibly mean a chance of devs breaking it for all.Anytime they try to mess with stuff that is tied in it breaks,look at Dungeon finder,AWA,etc.If you realize you got an addictive personality,now is the best time to get help before it becomes overpowering.Removing it won't help,cause you could always buy new account,have it reinstated,and be back in it all the time.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe someone who knows how to build mods could find a way to create an addon to temporary lock it or limit the number of matches we can play per day. I don't want to remove it because I like it a lot, but I have to admit that I'm pretty much addicted to and I'd probably give use to an addon like that. :)
  • Reaver999
    Reaver999
    ✭✭✭

It has become an annoying addiction and if I cannot uninstall it I may need to uninstall eso to get rid of it.

I can't even count the amount of times I have uninstalled and reinstalled ESO because it is an addiction. My sobriety on lasts for about 20 min plus the time it takes to reinstall lol.
  • Austacker
    Austacker
    ✭✭✭✭

If you're enjoying one aspect of the game to this level I personally don't see the issue.

There are many things in life you can be 'addicted to' that are far worse.

As long as your enjoyment of the game doesn't have a negative impact on your personal life, I say have at it and enjoy yourself!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My ToT addiction was more of an obsession that I HAD to get to Rubedite. And if that meant playing for hours every day and stressing over it, that's what I did.

I would have liked to have been able to set a limit to no more than an hour a day or a certain amount of games.
    PCNA
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect Tales is bundled with High Isle. So theoretically, you might only need to remove High Isle, and then you can't play the card game.

I have no idea if it's possible for Support to remove access to content that's been paid for with cash even at the player's request, and I doubt the average Support person would be able to do so on a simple request.

Nevertheless, you might try opening a Support request or asking ZOS_BillE or ZOS_Kevin how best to proceed if you want to pursue that option.