The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Please no Target Marking System in PvP

Dangranma_Burgrukgad
Dangranma_Burgrukgad
✭✭✭✭
First of all EU server is already uncapable of running the game as it is, adding more strain to it is inconceivable
Also giving organized groups more tools to fight random/solo players is another idea so bad that it really seems that your combat team has never stepped foot in Cyro.
So please rethink all the implications of adding this thing in Cyro.
Thanks.
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Won't lie- interested to see how this will work out. Probably backfire if I had to guess but I can't use pts (console) so I can't say for certain.
  • UnabashedlyHonest
    UnabashedlyHonest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm fairly certain this is going to be an unwelcome change by most PvP players. And if it negatively impacts performance, it will be doubly unwelcome.

You can already tab target people in PvP, that system is working fine and does not need to be modified.
  • Lebkuchen
    Lebkuchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I loved marking targets in WoW and i am glad they will add it to ESO.

Organized groups with trained and experienced members will almost always have an advantage. I do not see what's wrong with that. ESO is not a solo player game. At least not yet...

We do not know if something so small will impact performance, but they promised to fix performane by the end of the year 2022 anyway. So no need to worry ;)
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm fairly certain this is going to be an unwelcome change by most PvP players. And if it negatively impacts performance, it will be doubly unwelcome.

You can already tab target people in PvP, that system is working fine and does not need to be modified.

If it impacts performance negatively then nobody at all will want it-- fact.

If it doesn't though its a great idea. It serves a greater purpose than tab targeting honestly. I mean yes its kinda the same but how long would it take a 12-man group of let's say just average players to all successfully tab target the same person on the enemy 12-man team... In the middle of a fight? Now the crown can just put an icon over their head and everybody is good to go.

Plus hopefully there's more than one mark you can use? And maybe you can even use it on allies? I can see how marking the enemy cc tank would be useful so you DONT attack them. Or marking your own healer would be helpful so they don't get lost in the melee.

Its just a good quality of life improvement. I doubt it'll give people lag that didn't already have lag. It'd be like turning health bar numbers/percents on and off. Very minimal strain.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Target marking doesn’t increase server load much since there are no calculations.

• DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So basically we want groups to have an even easier time carrying less skilled players. Does that sound about right?
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ninjagank wrote: »
    So basically we want groups to have an even easier time carrying less skilled players. Does that sound about right?

It seems more like a great tool for pug groups and groups learning fights. It’s an amazing addition that should have been part of the game long ago.

• OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We want groups to have a visual aid to organization, yes. It's a group v group tool man, it doesn't hurt 1vxers at all. And I'm also pretty sure the mark won't persist through invisibility.

So since it doesn't hurt Xers and doesn't hurt gankers what exactly is your concern?

It'd also be useful in PvE I'm sure... Yes, to help less skilled players. What's wrong with helping less skilled players?
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not understanding why tab targeting isn't enough? We already have target marking in the form of tab targeting.

This seems like yet another fix for something that isn't broken, and might very well make the ball group to solo imbalance even more extreme than it already is.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not understanding why tab targeting isn't enough? We already have target marking in the form of tab targeting.

This seems like yet another fix for something that isn't broken, and might very well make the ball group to solo imbalance even more extreme than it already is.

I suggest reading the original patch notes for the current patch notes. The introductory statement explains what target marking is. We currently lack the means to make a target outside where another player can see it. This will allow groups to mark a friendly target for others to stack on or mark the enemy to focus.

It is an amazing MMORPG and common tool that is surprisingly not part of the game from the start. So it is a great fix for something that has been missing and will be helpful for many groups who choose to employ it.

• DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »

We want groups to have a visual aid to organization, yes. It's a group v group tool man, it doesn't hurt 1vxers at all. And I'm also pretty sure the mark won't persist through invisibility.

So since it doesn't hurt Xers and doesn't hurt gankers what exactly is your concern?

It'd also be useful in PvE I'm sure... Yes, to help less skilled players. What's wrong with helping less skilled players?

My concern is you can stack a bunch of people in a group, have the crown mark someone, and encourage mindless bot-like attacking for people who can't just figure out how to tab target and focus down without having their hand held.

What you have right now is the crown calls out a target. It's then up to the players to find the target, hard target if necessary, and attack without a big ol flag over the target's head helping them out. I do think it's yet another unnecessary encouragement of laziness and mindless playstyles. Oh look there's the target! BOT BUTTON MASHING GO!
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

My concern is you can stack a bunch of people in a group, have the crown mark someone, and encourage mindless bot-like attacking for people who can't just figure out how to tab target and focus down without having their hand held.

What you have right now is the crown calls out a target. It's then up to the players to find the target, hard target if necessary, and attack without a big ol flag over the target's head helping them out. I do think it's yet another unnecessary encouragement of laziness and mindless playstyles. Oh look there's the target! BOT BUTTON MASHING GO!

Have you actually been on the PTS to see the size of the target? It's tiny. Try testing it before you bash it.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you actually been on the PTS to see the size of the target? It's tiny. Try testing it before you bash it.

I've seen it. It's plenty noticable.

It doesn't really matter what I think. I just think there are a lot more important things they should've devoted time to.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ninjagank Well we can agree that there's a thousand things they should've worked on instead.... But that doesn't make me dislike the idea.

Honestly most group v group ulti dumps are AoE anyway its not even that helpful its literally just a visual aid for organization.

I'm sorry if I'm misconstruing your complaints but I just feel like you have some image in your head of a talented 1vXer being taken down by a group he used to beat because of a mark on his head.

Do we even know if the mark replaces the tab target or is it literally just a mark and you still have to aim? Its just a mark isn't it? Has to be... There's no way crown puts a mark on something and now his whole group can attack it without aiming.

Name one single target offensive ultimate used in GvG fights.
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like anyone against target marking hasn’t had a lot of experience with target marking.
    Personally, I loved it in WoW. In PvE and PvP. It makes coordination easier. Instead of, “focus on that guy in blue!” which can be extremely difficult to figure out, it can be, “focus on X!” Or whatever.

Trust me. Once you start using target marking, especially as any kind group leader, you’ll be thankful for them.
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry if I'm misconstruing your complaints but I just feel like you have some image in your head of a talented 1vXer being taken down by a group he used to beat because of a mark on his head.

This isn't it at all. I just think it's another step toward drone-like group behavior. Maybe I'm overblowing it. We shall see!
    I feel like anyone against target marking hasn’t had a lot of experience with target marking.
    Personally, I loved it in WoW. In PvE and PvP. It makes coordination easier. Instead of, “focus on that guy in blue!” which can be extremely difficult to figure out, it can be, “focus on X!” Or whatever.

Trust me. Once you start using target marking, especially as any kind group leader, you’ll be thankful for them.

So this is a not great way to look at it. For example, in a certain MMO set in a galaxy far, far away, (as well as the one you mentioned, I believe) you can literally go on auto-pilot and have your character mindlessly follow your lead around content. This is getting into that arena where it takes responsibility from the player to follow directions and use targeting themselves, and automating it at the click of the crown's fingers, so to speak.

It's not the end of the world, I guess, but taking that decision making away from individual players eliminates mistakes, and mistakes lead to a lot of counterplay.
  • Zabagad
    Zabagad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I trust you, but: :)
    For (organized) groups that targeting will be for sure a nice help to pick all the same target.
    In PvP 4-12 ungrouped player have then another handicap against (organized) groups.
    And I'm not sure groups needed another advantage and I'm afraid that this can even help brainless zergs to become more effective...
    PC EU (noCP AD) Grey/Grau AD
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do wonder if this works against invisible / stealthed players (marked target goes to stealh or cast Shadow Disguise / uses vamp passive / invisibility potion) - but remains "marked" for others and they see a floating icon following the invisible player.

^ I hope it doesn't work that way :|
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on October 12, 2022 4:40PM
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭

Everything in PvP, which make life for one party easier, make life for adverse party harder.
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I feel like anyone supporting this new feature hasn't been around ESO long enough to know how many of the new features nobody requested have negatively impacted game play. Take the change to templar jabs animation as the most recent example of an unneeded and unrequested change and how that went over with the player base.
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like anyone supporting this new feature hasn't been around ESO long enough to know how many of the new features nobody requested have negatively impacted game play. Take the change to templar jabs animation as the most recent example of an unneeded and unrequested change and how that went over with the player base.

Y’all can stay bitter. I’m excited for group markings. If they keep it out of Cyrodiil, I get it. Y’all make decent points. But it should still be enabled in battlegrounds and everywhere else. They’re super helpful, imo.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a lot of discussion going on... But would someone mind answering a few questions for me? I don't play on the PTS and I didn't read about the markings in any patch notes or official zos threads.

1) Is it even an aim assist? Or is it literally just a mark over somebody's head and you'd still have to aim or tab target said person? Because I'm assuming its the 2nd option.

Okay so that's my only question actually, lol. I also want to know if it'll persist through invisibility as I said earlier but... I mean, of course it won't. That'd be a dumb idea, like way more dumb than even the most jaded of us think the devs can be. If it does, its a glitch, and it'll be fixed.

@ninjagank Just because I wanted to tag you I guess, lol, something I wanted to bring up in my last post. I play on Xbox so I have no add-ons. I don't even know how to tab target I just play the game like a first person shooter always have. I don't want the game to get dumbed down or easier at all, that's not where I'm coming from. The thing is I don't think this does that. Its a quality of life improvement nothing more. Watch. I'd bet 100 bucks if we knew each other in real life. Anything else would be TRULY odd.
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There’s no way it’s anything more than just sticking a floating icon above a target. Probably directly above the nameplate.
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I'm just sitting here wondering if your gonna have groups in cyro hard targeting solos over and over. I don't spend a ton of time there but for pve it would be super useful.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a lot of discussion going on... But would someone mind answering a few questions for me? I don't play on the PTS and I didn't read about the markings in any patch notes or official zos threads.

1) Is it even an aim assist? Or is it literally just a mark over somebody's head and you'd still have to aim or tab target said person? Because I'm assuming its the 2nd option.

Okay so that's my only question actually, lol. I also want to know if it'll persist through invisibility as I said earlier but... I mean, of course it won't. That'd be a dumb idea, like way more dumb than even the most jaded of us think the devs can be. If it does, its a glitch, and it'll be fixed.

@ninjagank Just because I wanted to tag you I guess, lol, something I wanted to bring up in my last post. I play on Xbox so I have no add-ons. I don't even know how to tab target I just play the game like a first person shooter always have. I don't want the game to get dumbed down or easier at all, that's not where I'm coming from. The thing is I don't think this does that. Its a quality of life improvement nothing more. Watch. I'd bet 100 bucks if we knew each other in real life. Anything else would be TRULY odd.

Hold Right click hard targets on XB. 🙂
    Edited by DrSlaughtr on October 13, 2022 2:57AM