The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Favorite Patrons?

SeaGtGruff
SeaGtGruff
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I can't remember if this topic already has a thread, but I didn't see one on the first few pages of threads, so I decided to start one.

What are your two favorite patrons-- the two which you enjoy having included in a match, and which you will choose if your opponent does not?

Additionally, which of the other patrons do you enjoy seeing your opponent choose?

For me, Hlaalu and Crow are the two patrons I prefer to always see in a match, which I will choose if my opponent does not. It can be brutal to lose to these two patrons if luck is on your opponent's side rather than yours, but I think they can be a big help in a match, either because of their 1-card benefits, their combo benefits, or their patron usage benefits. Plus, I think they pair well together.

As for my opponent's choices, I enjoy seeing Orgnum, Rajhin, or Ansei get chosen. I haven't collected any of those yet-- although with this event, I'm close to completing the Ansei deck-- so the only way I can use them in a match is if my opponent chooses them, and I enjoy their patron benefits and trying to use or counter their cards.
I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rahjiin is my favorite to play. Not for the bewilderment spam but I really like the effects of the cards themselves, removing prestige, removing taunt cards etc. I also really like crow but only when RNG is in my favour :)
    Soupy twist
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have all the decks collected either, but I like all patrons minus Pelin and Orgnum. Pelin can make a game short, but it's very RNG dependent, and there's nothing strategic about Orgnum. I don't play a lot, and mostly against NPCs in the dailies from time to time, but I prefer games when there is a balance between power-heavy decks and non-power-heavy decks, because they are more interesting, so if the NPC chooses a power-heavy deck I'll choose something to balance it. My two favourite ones are Crow and Hlaalu, but I also like Rahjin and Ansei a lot too.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find Orgnum to be very much strategic, both in terms of trying to use it and trying to counter it. That's one of the reasons I'm usually happy to see my opponent choose it.

Using it successfully can depend on waiting until you've bought at least 2 cards, giving you 12 cards, before you start calling on the patron. And then you should try to keep buying more cards if possible, in addition to continuing to call on the patron, so you need to be going for money cards, as well as any power or prestige cards you can pick up. And if you can get the agent card that lets you add a Maomer Boarding Party card to your deck if you get a 2-card combo, that can let you stop trying to spam the patron.

Countering it successfully can depend on the same factors as above. If you can get an early lead against your opponent, and can acquire enough money and power/prestige cards, you might not need to counterspam the patron to try to thwart your opponent, especially if you've managed to acquire that agent mentioned above and a number of other Orgnum cards that you can use to combo with it. But it can also be a matter of using the other patrons strategically. For instance, if calling on the Hlaalu or Crow patrons will boost your power/prestige more than calling on Orgnum would, then it would be unwise to spam Orgnum again and throw away the chance to use those other patrons.

But I should add that I've been playing strictly against NPCs lately. I did play against other players for about a week at the end of August and beginning of September, but I'm not interested in trying to get a high rank on the leader board, and the rewards from playing NPCs are sufficient for my needs. So it's easier for me to use or counter Orgnum successfully, since I'm not having to deal with a high-ranked, cut-throat player! :)
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • WildRaptorX
    WildRaptorX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m new to TOT but I’m enjoying Duke of crowns with loremaster combo. I find it fun to deck build and slaughter with huge amounts of coin to prestige conversion .

Any tips would be appreciated
  • Oberon45
    Oberon45
    ✭✭✭
    I really like the Red Eagle. I like the ability to whittle my deck down to just the high gold/power combo cards and find it easier to plan as a smaller deck helps to eliminate the RNG factor of waiting/hoping for your heavy hitters to drop.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Red Eagle and Hlallu, I like being able to get rid of cards.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on October 5, 2022 4:29PM
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer-King Orgnum till the nerf happens, then Red Eagle and Duke.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the Ansei deck and choose it often. I also love Orgnum and choose it depending on what the other player chose.
    PCNA
  • Cazador
    Cazador
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Red eagle and rajhiin for me. Getting a small deck through red eagle can lead to some pretty fun games where you play every card every turn and rajhiin has some really fun combos.