The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is 1hand and 1sheild meaningful for DPS style?

AvalonRanger
AvalonRanger
✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes, I meet 1H1S style DPS role player in random grouping in the dungeon.
I'm not so DPS building expert, but I think those style is totally meaningless for damage
dealer style combat. There're not much big damage factor in 1H1S skill.

Is there any of benefit of 1H1S for DPS?
Edited by AvalonRanger on September 24, 2022 1:40PM
My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're probably just seeing some pvpers trying to do their daily. You can achieve pretty good weapon damage with a shield but there just aren't any passives to augment or flavor that damage. Or high tooltip skills in that line.

Not that I think shields should become viable ways to DPS... But it would be kinda neat if weapon type mattered. Give axe, sword, dagger, and mace some kind of unique defensive property.
  • Ishtarknows
    Ishtarknows
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you choose the role of Damage Dealer in group finder then your build should aim to do the most damage you can as that's the job.
    Shield + 1H has no passives to increase your damage and the skill line has skills that either taunt an enemy (that's the Tank's job) or are defensive (that's the healers job) so I'd say 1H+S has no place on a DD in group content
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's one of the worst weapon types for damage (Restoration Staff may be worse). However is it possible to have high DPS with this or any weapon type. The benefits are:
    - An 8th armor enchant (most builds get 7)
    - 5% Weapon and Spell Damage
    - More bash damage
    - Increased survivability that may allow things like max resource + recovery food (no health)

The main shortcomings are
    - One half strength weapon enchant, which can only be activated with light attacks (no ground DoT)
    - No useful active skills, must use all class/guild/etc.
    - Losing better weapon passives like dual dagger crit chance or inferno staff single target damage buff

I generally wouldn't recommend it, but on some builds it's only around 5% loss in damage. This could mean a 100k DPS dropping to 95k or a 1k DPS dropping to 950. Either way it shouldn't really be noticeable unless you're planning some very difficult content or a score push. Just make sure they don't taunt the boss.
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More strange thing is those 1H1S style DPS player is not so strong in dungeon running.
    I keep watching their combat style from real tank role. But mostly low damage and very fragile
    even wielding something shield.

I think...maybe they don't understand basic character building method.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They just don't care if it's doing the job, pretty sure weapon swap won't do much change for ones who already have pretty low damage output.
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its fun to play around with but that's about it.
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes, I meet 1H1S style DPS role player in random grouping in the dungeon.
    I'm not so DPS building expert, but I think those style is totally meaningless for damage
    dealer style combat. There're not much big damage factor in 1H1S skill.

Is there any of benefit of 1H1S for DPS?

For pvp, yeah.
    Major and minor armor debuff is a lot of help.
    Specially for dragon tanks.
    Use poison sets and heal reducing skill then you got tourself a toxic tagfest.

• UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They probably pretend it's Skyrim, and are just RPing.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A power bash build was viable until quite recently, and some people are likely just waiting for it to come back, rather than rebuild yet again. If the content isn’t too hard, it still does the job - e.g. solo PvE, which these days means with a companion - where a slightly tanky player does well with a DPS companion. In pug dungeons, there’s also the “bring your own tank” philosophy, so fake tank doesn’t mean a wipe.
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    A power bash build was viable until quite recently, and some people are likely just waiting for it to come back, rather than rebuild yet again. If the content isn’t too hard, it still does the job - e.g. solo PvE, which these days means with a companion - where a slightly tanky player does well with a DPS companion. In pug dungeons, there’s also the “bring your own tank” philosophy, so fake tank doesn’t mean a wipe.

But, companion's AI is extremely stupid. They die at the first boss of CoA dungeon.
    I don't want to believe fake role logic anymore.

2023/12/21
  • haelgaan
    haelgaan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1H1S in a DPS spec can do just fine (eg 100k+ pre U35), if the player running it can weave, is using DPS skills, etc

yeah, the videos you can google are pre U35, but the concept is there... you can do well if you put your mind to it (but sure, a typical DPS build will do more)

• fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I pug dungeons as a tank and have lost taunt a few times lately. Looking closely at some inexperienced (low CP) players in the group, they were using 1H+S. In other words, some players choose this by accident or for role-playing reasons.

1H+S was meta in PvP in the distant past. Ransack / Pierce Armor did regular spammable damage and provided penetration. Bash weaving was a thing, e.g. light attack -> Ransack -> bash, all in one second. Some people bash in their burst combos with any weapon type, but only 1H+S made it economically viable to do so all the time. This made 1H+S a top damage spec for PvP and, I believe, that's why it was eventually nerfed, e.g. Ransack / Pierce Armor and Low Slash became pure utility skills.

A tank can have very low bash cost (around 150) these days, for example by wearing Steadfast's Mettle. This could possibly be adapted for a damage build. Not sure whether that's viable, but constantly bashing could be valuable in some fights where the boss needs to be constantly interrupted, lest it one shots people. Of course there is Crushing Shock (or Venom Arrow). Those skills are possibly the better choice, but come to think of it, they do not typically allow you 100% interrupt uptime as you have to cast other skills in your rotation. Constant bashing, especially AOE bashing with the Deadland's Demolisher set, could be valuable in some cases and naturally falls to 1H+S players. It would typically be the tank role, though.

Power Bash is a separate thing, a skill, not bashing in the above sense.
    ghastley wrote: »
    This makes sense.
    Edited by fred4 on September 29, 2022 10:31AM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Ishtarknows
    Ishtarknows
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    haelgaan wrote: »
    1H1S in a DPS spec can do just fine (eg 100k+ pre U35), if the player running it can weave, is using DPS skills, etc

That's a bit of a red herring. The people actually capable of pulling those numbers would rather do more damage by using a dps set up. The RP shield bearers you find in dungeon finder groups are doing a tiny fraction of that.