The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

DoT's Sorcerer needs help !

Arboldepato
Hello there !

i am french and our forum is barely dead so i come here to ask for advices :

I try to build a socerer DoT's specialized, it's not about being meta but to have fun
It's for PVE and PVP i play both and this is not my main character but a reroll.

this is what i've found :

-Monster : Nerien'eth or slimecraw
-Jewels&Weapons : Deadly strike (15% bonus to damage over time)
-Body : treasure hunter (one more stats bonus than other set)
(provide also a major buff that i may need and i don't find a slot to use inner light)

First, should i switch TH for False God Devotion ? More difficult to drop but i can with time
Second, is there another set i should think about ? Like Zen's Redress or something else
I was running Oblivion's Foe, for the damage bonus but it is very low even if the stats bonus are nice

Skills 1 : Maybe we can change something here
-Crushing shock Or Elemental weapon ? One can stun, but the other seems to damage a bit more
-Crystal fragment : use when it procs
-Daedric curse : Our first Dot
-Consuming trap : Our second Dot
-Structured Entropy : Third Dot
Ultimate : Soul Assault / Shatter Soul

Skills 2 : I think a lot about these skills and i need them all
-Streak : must have for mobility and stun
-Hurricane : the morph i prefer to go with
-Critical Surge : provide heal and a major buff
-Hardened Ward : A shield
-Dark conversion : Heal
Ultimate : idk, atronach or something else i don't mind

And problem, we don't have a slot for a finish like Endless fury ...

So, remember this is not to be the best but i need some ideas to develop this build
If someone can helpme it would be very nice,
thanks a lot
Arbo
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    deadric curse is not a DOT first of all, so it does not benefit from any of your DOT-buffing sets (such as deadly, or thaumaturge CP)

oblivions foe was great with the aoe soul trap morph, before the dot nerf in U35, but i agree with your conclusion that it is no longer good enough to use

the atronach ultimate would be better dmg dot than the soul ultimate, because your not spending time channeling the ultimate, the single target atro is also considered a DoT

if your looking at pvp, the dmg morph of negate will also fit the DoT theme

i also would not recommend using a DoT focus build in pvp, as dots are weak enough as is and then the dmg is -50% in pvp, and if your hitting a target with high resist and you dont have a lot of pen it will take another -40 to -50% dmg (so -75% dmg of the tooltip)

not to mention all the dots is just feeding people who wear maras balm

to give you an example of how bad dot are in pvp, the maelstrom 2h which currently reads about 6000 over 10 sec (600 dps), was in pvp hitting people for as low as 13 dmg per tick (they might have been in mist form at the time), but avg dmg was probably 100-150 dmg per tick, which is still negligible for most people
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Arboldepato
    thanks a lot for these clarifications, i might abandon the theme
  • Arboldepato
    By the way, what theme for sorcerer you would advise me ?
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if your looking at pvp, its usually better to go towards heavy burst dmg

haunting curse (double explosion), crystal fragment, mages wrath for execute, streak, meteor ult can be really good for heavy burst

in this scenario you would probably pop curse, meteor, streak to stun, then turn around and mages wrath and its very likely they might be dead from that if you had high pen, and would work with sets like kvatch gladiator (good for executes), vicious death if your trying to get lot of kills

if your looking more at pve, i have less experience with a sorc for pve, but you can get some high dmg heavy attack builds using oakensoul mythic, 2 pets, daedric prey morph of the curse, wall of elements and crystal weapon (oakensoul, and 2 heavy attack gear sets such as sergeants)

mag sorc is one of those classes that needs wildly different builds for pve/pvp, it doesnt really work well as a one size fits all class unless your running a stam sorc (which the build is a lot more similar for pvp/pve)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Arboldepato
    I'll try with oblivion's foe (body) + nocturnal's ploy (weapons and jewels) even if i'm not sure of what skills procs !
    Thanks for answering me
    seeya'