The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

light armor

Melzo
Melzo
✭✭✭✭
I don't understand one thing. Why do you need light armor ??? It gives less damage than medium, less armor than medium and heavy. A bunch of debuffs. In this game, only the sorcerer walks in it. For the sake of one class created??? Previously, before hybridization, magic classes had more healing but now stamina classes have more damage, more heal more armor and have good bonuses from medium armor. Much better than heavy and light and no negative effects. In light armor, walking is the same as without it. Nb and warden just do hit you like you have 0 armor.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on September 27, 2022 2:04AM
  • dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melzo wrote: »
    I don't understand one thing. Why do you need light armor ??? It gives less damage than medium, less armor than medium and heavy. A bunch of debuffs. In this game, only the sorcerer walks in it. For the sake of one class created??? Previously, before hybridization, magic classes had more healing but now stamina classes have more damage, more heal more armor and have good bonuses from medium armor. Much better than heavy and light and no negative effects. In light armor, walking is the same as without it. Nb and warden just do hit you like you have 0 armor.

This is, unfortunately, just an issue with you misunderstanding it.

1. Who is Light Armor for?

Light Armor is for anybody who wishes to be primarily Magicka-based. Light Armor provides additional magicka recovery based upon the number of pieces you wear. All Healers are magicka-based (albeit with a couple of stamina abilities too) and so generally wear between 5 and 7 pieces of light armor.

On top of this - DD have a choice between being Stamina or Magicka base for every. single. class.
    For some, the choice boils down to which morphs you use (Nightblade, for example, can use identical bars if they wish and be decent with just 1 or 2 morphs different) while others have completely different options.
    Light armor grants armor penetration and crit, while Medium armor offers weapon/spell damage and crit damage instead.

Atm, it is true stamina perform better than magicka in a lot of situations, but it's about personal preference and what you perform best in. Not every player is built to enjoy being in melee - there are plenty who'd rather play at range and enjoy dpsing while kiting the boss after the tank fails to block and dies hilariously.
  • Melzo
    Melzo
    ✭✭✭✭
    dmnqwk wrote: »

1. Who is Light Armor for?

Light Armor is for anybody who wishes to be primarily Magicka-based. Light Armor provides additional magicka recovery based upon the number of pieces you wear. All Healers are magicka-based (albeit with a couple of stamina abilities too) and so generally wear between 5 and 7 pieces of light armor.
    For whom for magicians?) All magicians fight in close combat ..... If you wear light armor, you will have about 17-20ka armor. NB and Warden have the same amount of penetration. I'm flying away from the spit. It's not good when you need to gain 40k armor to defend yourself. This is why players hate NB. The class's damage is insane, but in order to defend yourself, you need to have 35 armor and 30+ HP. Bow with invisibility for 15-20k crits. Finisher 15k. Two hits are enough for you to die.As a result, all players collect a lot of protection. In light armor, only the sorcerer and NB can walk. They have the ability to do so. And all the rest depend on self-healing. There is no invisibility, no teleportation to the clone or to the front as the nb or sorcerer does not have a buff for a minute that will stun the one who hits you. The gameplay does not allow you to wear light armor in pvp. I mean only pvp. Healer players run in heavy armor.As far as pve is concerned, it's a wry balance. Even if the average armor gave mana regeneration, it didn’t really affect pve. Before hybridization, mana classes healed more than stamina, now it's the other way around. Both the damage and the healing itself for players in heavy and medium armor are greater than in light armor. Light armor should provide more healing and damage than medium and heavy armor. Of course, it's not right to blame light armor here, rather, hybridization is to blame for rarely increasing the healing of stamina classes. But with hybritization light armor also needed to be updated otherwise you have 0 armor when you fight against nb so you still take 5-7 percent more damage. Well, this is idiotic. Many players die from nb with two hits due to lack of armor and lives.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But light armor does help mag damage in PVE. A lot. 7 pieces gives you penetration, crit, cost reduction, and regen. Things you would not get in PVE by wearing medium or heavy armor.

Comparing PVE to PVP is pointless, for many reasons. But the first is the armor. There is not crit damage to players in PVE, so all you have to guard against is base damage from bosses and adds. There is TONS of potential crit damage in PVP, so players must guard against it. The easiest way is with heavy impen armor.

You can run light armor in PVP and be effective. Like a bomber.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of my PvP toons wear at least 2 pieces of light no matter what they are. Mostly for the undaunted passive, but also for the light armor passives themselves. They really aren't bad, and since hybridization it helps with sustain since most people cast both types of skills.

Last time I played my stamina bowsorc I was wearing 5 light. The crit and penetration is nothing to sneeze at. Not all specs have crit and penetration readily available.
  • Auldwulfe
    Auldwulfe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light armor also adds a crit chance, and penetration.... it can be useful for those that rely on first hit being high damage.
    In addition, the stamina cost to sprint is lower with light armor...

I mix my armor ... and usually try to include all 3 types ...... the ratios may change, depending on how I want the character to handle... but the passives are useful, no matter what class you play..... and if I remember correctly, a piece of heavy cancels the penalty of a piece of light, and vice versa..... so you can use them for the positive passives, without too much of the negative

Auldwulfe
  • DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light armor is there to balance against the penalties of heavy armor in PVP, and in PVE its passives just work better for the nature of the content in any semi optimized group.

• Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PVE, LA has its uses. Most damage dealers are going to run a mix of light and medium. From a damage standpoint, both deal with a capped stat. LA gives penetration, Medium armor gives crit damage. You want to try and cap both. For example, my mag sorc runs 4 medium and 3 light most of the time in a good group or on the dummy. Any more medium and I struggle to sustain. In a bad group I will go as many as 5 light, because I need a little more help on penetration (and magic sustain).

Pen and Crit damage arent the only considerations as LA also gives Crit Chance and Magic sustain, and MA gives weapon/spell damage, but Pen and Crit Damage deal with caps, and hitting those caps should be a priority.

In PVP, LA actually can be far more compelling than medium for a lot of setups as penetration is generally more important than crit damage, but certainly, that is not always the case. My mag sorc still runs 5/1/1 (light/medium/heavy) most of the time, but my NB ganker runs enough medium (3 pieces currently) so I can hit the crit damage cap out of stealth. Both are magic specs.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on September 26, 2022 7:48PM
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light armor is actually more damage piece for piece, until you're pen capped. The problem is it's more efficient to have one person in Alkosh and everyone else run medium.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run 5/1/1 light on my pvp/ bg magplar and have 33k resists on back and 3.1k crit resist . My pen is at around 20k+ with 6k spell dmg..does not struggle