The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Pts nerfs of orgnum!? Does it fix it?

Heartrage
Heartrage
✭✭✭✭✭
Tldr; it’s easier to buy the patron when unfavored and it seems more reliant on combos now.

Sorceror-King Orgnum
Boarding Party
Shifted 1 Prestige from the play effect to Combo 2.
Patron Power
Reduced the cost to activate Sorceror-King Orgnum’s ability while unfavored from 3 to 2 gold.
Serpentguard Rider
Increased the Power on play from 1 to 2.
Reduced the Combo 2 effect of replace a card from tavern from 2 cards to 1.
Snakeskin Freebooter
Reduced the cost of buying this card from 6 gold to 5.
Summerset Sacking
Shifted 1 Prestige from the play effect to Combo 2.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with Ogrum is that it's a reusable power generator. Imagine if you could use the Duke of Crows every time you have extra gold at the end of a turn to gain power. Would be more interesting as a 5 cost effect rather than something that can be used from turn 2 on.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • Heartrage
    Heartrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that it’s reusable is part of why it’s a problem, but I think the real problem is that it has to be contested (and is hard to contest) or it snow ball too much as boarding party and the 1power/4cards takes over the game.

The other player is left scrambling trying to get enough ressources to either contest with a lesser power generation which leave them without gold to get good power cards (which they might only be able to use in one or two turns) or try to get the right power generating cards to out power the other on a timer.
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was fine before, it's more fine now. An opponent last night starting spamming Orgnum turn 3 or 4 and I outpowered him with a few War Fleets, 1 Dream Cave and by paring my deck at every opportunity. It'll be even easier now.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Heartrage wrote: »
    The fact that it’s reusable is part of why it’s a problem, but I think the real problem is that it has to be contested (and is hard to contest) or it snow ball too much as boarding party and the 1power/4cards takes over the game.

The other player is left scrambling trying to get enough ressources to either contest with a lesser power generation which leave them without gold to get good power cards (which they might only be able to use in one or two turns) or try to get the right power generating cards to out power the other on a timer.

It costing even 2 gold when unfavored is still a lot to ask for in the early turns of a game. Better hope that a card which costs 4 or less is in the tavern, able to impact the game, and not just reveal another 2 cost card in the tavern once purchased.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The problem with Ogrum is that it's a reusable power generator. Imagine if you could use the Duke of Crows every time you have extra gold at the end of a turn to gain power. Would be more interesting as a 5 cost effect rather than something that can be used from turn 2 on.

This is exactly the issue. Once the patron spamming begins, it eliminates every card with a value over 3 from the tavern and essentially freezes everyone's deck at that point.

I would much prefer if the spamming came with a cost to the user, such as having to forfeit cards to spam it instead of gold, similar to the Hlaalu patron. At least that could eventually whittle down the effectiveness of the spamming strategy
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This is exactly the issue. Once the patron spamming begins, it eliminates every card with a value over 3 from the tavern and essentially freezes everyone's deck at that point.

I would much prefer if the spamming came with a cost to the user, such as having to forfeit cards to spam it instead of gold, similar to the Hlaalu patron. At least that could eventually whittle down the effectiveness of the spamming strategy

That's a good point on Delmene too. Just had a game where I used that patron ability 5 times on the same turn.
    Don't tank

• SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...I would much prefer if the spamming came with a cost to the user, such as having to forfeit cards to spam it instead of gold...

The more cards a player has the more power they receive when activating the Patron. Having the Patron remove a card with each use is contrary to how this deck works.
    PCNA
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're playing your cards right-- and luck is on your side-- you can stop spamming Orgnum and let your opponent keep on spamming it while you get ahead using other strategies.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ...I would much prefer if the spamming came with a cost to the user, such as having to forfeit cards to spam it instead of gold...

The more cards a player has the more power they receive when activating the Patron. Having the Patron remove a card with each use is contrary to how this deck works.

But that is why I was thinking that could be an effective limitation on the spamming strategy, especially against players who start it around the 3rd round. In effect, the more you spam it, the weaker the return.

@SeaGtGruff agreed. Orgnum spamming is not a failsafe strategy. I've beaten it through the Crow more times than not, but again, when I can get the cards I need.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

But that is why I was thinking that could be an effective limitation on the spamming strategy, especially against players who start it around the 3rd round. In effect, the more you spam it, the weaker the return.

@SeaGtGruff agreed. Orgnum spamming is not a failsafe strategy. I've beaten it through the Crow more times than not, but again, when I can get the cards I need.

It would be cool to have another deck destruction archetype other than Red Eagle.
    Don't tank

• Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Design of the such is sometimes balancing. Look at how the Rajhin Patron deck has Moonlit Illusion or Grand Larceny/Pounce and Profit. Both of these cards can work against the attrition strategy that the Rajhin patron ability provides.
    Don't tank

• tauriel01
    tauriel01
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer-king deck is the most boring deck out there. Every single match ends the same way. Starts out like any other match, then inevitably, one or the other opponent will use the patron then its just a ping pong back and forth of using the patron and ending turn cause you can't buy any of the cards on the board. boring as hell. If my opponent chooses that deck, I concede the match and try again.