The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Should Fire/Ice staves have channel Heavy Attacks?

Rampeal
Rampeal
✭✭✭✭✭
In my opinion it is long overdue. There is really no reason for them not to have channel heavy Attacks. Right now Fire and Ice are the least used weapons in the game because of this very reason. The animations are horrible and does not fit a sorcerer or wizard theme at all. It looks like a baseball player winding up a pitch.
Even with the reduced charge time it still feels clunky and near unplayable.

What do you all think?
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on September 26, 2022 1:51AM

Should Fire/Ice staves have channel Heavy Attacks? 77 votes

Yes (Change them)
50%
JarndyceVehlirShadesofkinDagoth_RacAdernathAsysEiregirlKlingenliedRampealArchMikemChadakblacksghostYellow_MonolithSnowy_Wyndra_KarnFroilVeeskBretonMageHotdog_23ESO_NightingaleAriordin 39 votes
No (No leave them be)
49%
chessalavakia_ESOGalenssewallb14_ESOValvedanno8flizomicaphaneub17_ESOdeleted221205-002626MinalanDragonnordMalkorgaMartoMikeSkyrim333Ankael07Azrael_1976fred4Jacen_VeronMolydeusFakeFoxArtim_X 38 votes
  • Arthtur
    Arthtur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes (Change them)
    I voted yes because it would make it easier to buff HA builds in PvE without breaking anything in PvP.
    I doubt it will happen tho.
    PC/EU @Arthtur

Toxic Tank for the win :x
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure how you got to the conclusion that fire staves are less used than lightning. From my perspective lightning are the least useful of the 3 types (primarily from a pve perspective). Most pve dps builds that use staves will do the most damage with inferno staves. Ice is often preferred on tanks, support dps providing brittle, and sometimes on healers. Lightning has a pretty narrow niche, I suppose if a group built into off balance/exploiter, or for heavy attack builds.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No (No leave them be)
    Noooooo!! I use ice instead of lightning on healer for a few reasons but one of those reasons is that in the heat of combat I accidentally medium attack more easily with channeled HAs.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No (No leave them be)
    Channels and cast times aren't my cup of tea.
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No (No leave them be)
    Channeled heavy attacks are boring and make you look stupid in PvP.
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No (No leave them be)
    Variety is the spice of life.
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
  • Jarndyce
    Jarndyce
    ✭✭✭
    Yes (Change them)
    Change them.

We like change in ESO.

(Sarcasm)Lol
  • Auldwulfe
    Auldwulfe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes (Change them)
    I voted yes, but because I would like it as an option .... maybe a variant morph - adding a set of morphs to the various weapons for base attacks ......

Then again, I would also love it if we could spend the points, and take both morphs of a skill.... we'd still have to slot the skills, but it would be awesome

Auldwulfe
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No (No leave them be)
    If anything I'd do the opposite and make Ice do something more tank focused, like maybe a PBAoE channel that snares and roots on the last tick.
  • Fenris_Arainai
    Fenris_Arainai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes (Change them)
    In the middle of multi-people trial full of flashy effects, it'd help me see if I'm actually performing HA or just standing there like stupid in a silly position.
    Glory to you and your Dunmer House!
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give Destro staves a basic morph where you can choose whether it is the channeled or direct attack as basic config.

HA channeled all three ticks and vanilla duration of 2.3 seconds like Lightning (and Resto).
    HA direct version 1 tick and 1.8 seconds duration.
    Base damage and restore tuned to duration.
    Passives and weapon abilities making the differences between the Destro staves.
    Edited by hrothbern on September 25, 2022 10:20PM
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • Shadesofkin
    Shadesofkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes (Change them)
    I thought about this a bunch and I'm convinced it'd be a good change
    @shadesofkin -NA Server.
    Tier 2 Player.
    MagDK Main forever (even in the bad times)
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes (Change them)
    My Ice Mage Warden would LOVE a channeled Heavy, the rotation would feel so much better.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No (No leave them be)
    There really isn’t a reason for fire and ice staves to have a channeled attack. An opinion of not liking the current animation isn’t a solid reason for such a change.

I also wonder where the idea that fire staves are less desirable. How many top raid builds use lightning instead of fire staves?

Edited by Amottica on September 25, 2022 10:46PM
  • Ariordin
    Ariordin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes (Change them)
    50/50 split! impressive.

I think they should because i prefer how the lightening one feels to the 'windup'. I can handle it better in rotations. but apparently, to each their own!
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes (Change them)
    Amottica wrote: »
    There really isn’t a reason for fire and ice staves to have a channeled attack. An opinion of not liking the current animation isn’t a solid reason for such a change.

I also wonder where the idea that fire staves are less desirable. How many top raid builds use lightning instead of fire staves?

Most Mag whatevers use fire staves for the bonus damage done passive, not the Heavy Attacks. Rotations always light attack weave and if those end game players need to HA for resource recovery they use a Resto staff since the channel is faster.

Making an Ice Staff HA into a channel specifically would at the very least make it a lot less clunky to use with Ice Damage builds, if there wasn't any dps difference with the change.
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No (No leave them be)
    Lets just not ask for more major changes
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No (No leave them be)
    I'm fine with them the way they are.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No (No leave them be)
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Amottica wrote: »

Most Mag whatevers use fire staves for the bonus damage done passive, not the Heavy Attacks. Rotations always light attack weave and if those end game players need to HA for resource recovery they use a Resto staff since the channel is faster.

Making an Ice Staff HA into a channel specifically would at the very least make it a lot less clunky to use with Ice Damage builds, if there wasn't any dps difference with the change.

First, OP suggested fire staves are used less than lightning which I called into question since I know people use fire staves since they do more damage.

To the point you make here,

1. any PvE build using a rstaff back bar for sustain is doing it because of the 30% added mag return passive, not the channel speed as that would be very much secondary. It would make so much more sense to use a shock-staff back bar for a pure DPS build instead of a rStaff if this was all about channel speed.

2. I doubt top DPS PvE builds use a rstaff back bar for resource sustain. I would have to see information supporting this change in builds even to begin to believe it. For PvP, yes, as it is common that mag PvP builds are hybrids. Granted, less optimal builds may use a rstaff back bar in PvE but it is not likely to be due to the channel speed. We should not change the game due to what less optimal builds use.

So again, I fail to see a reason to change the HA for fire or frost staves.

• LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The option to have all staves do both would be nice. More options to play as you want.
    Though at the moment i see it as 2 channeled heavies and 2 wind up.
    PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes (Change them)
    Would be visually appealing
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes (Change them)
    I would like that. But the passives and bonuses to damage would have to be adjusted.
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • SPR_of_HA_community
    SPR_of_HA_community
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes (Change them)
    Would like to have channeled HA on fire staff.

But even lightning staffs HA is buged now - starting from U35.

It lose 1 hit with no trace in patch notes (this change was not even announced)

So we can just get 2 more weapons with buged not working HA on it.

I like channel abilitys more. It looks much better for me. But if it would be just the same buged as Lightning Staffs are now - with no even response about such problems from DEVs ... it would not be good change.

The best option would he seporate passives that can make HA channeled like. Because some people who use not channel versions will be dissapointed, that is ot good.

So it is much better give variability.
    Spell craft can help in it.

ZOS where is spell crafting ? )
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fire and Ice might be the least used when it comes to PvE heavy attack builds, but outside of that they're used equally as much as lightning staves, if not more so, and have been for years in the various content that ESO provides. Inferno staff has been, and to a degree still is, a staple for ranged builds in PvE, while melee run daggers. In PvP, you'll find quite a lot of people still run frost staves due to mitigation (not quite so much these days as other options are generally better). Going back to PvE, tanks and healers commonly run frost staves.

I'm also a bit confused by what you are referring to as a channel. All heavy attacks technically have a channel time (this time varies depending on the weapon being used; ice: 1100ms, fire: 1500ms, lightning: 1500ms; while the cooldown is the same 700ms as light attacks). I assume what you're looking for is a channel which does damage over time (multiple ticks over the channel duration) rather than a single projectile at the end of the channel time? Or is it simply a change in animation while keeping the same effect?

Edited by Troodon80 on September 26, 2022 11:00AM
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes (Change them)
    Troodon80 wrote: »
    I assume what you're looking for is a channel which does damage over time (multiple ticks over the channel duration) ....

This assumption is correct. Channelled attack in ESO means an attack with multiple damage ticks over the period of the cast time.
    Fire and Frost heavy attacks only have a cast time, but aren't channelled attacks, like Lightning and Restoration Staff heavies.
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No (No leave them be)
    Inferno and Ice Staves already have their pros/cons, there's no need to change them to be more like the lightning staff. Inferno Staff gives you all the damage in a single hit for better burst damage, while Ice Staves are a defensive option that proc useful status conditions for support roles. Why make everything just a different elemental version of the same thing (lightning staff)?
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes (Change them)
    Inferno and Ice Staves already have their pros/cons, there's no need to change them to be more like the lightning staff. Inferno Staff gives you all the damage in a single hit for better burst damage, while Ice Staves are a defensive option that proc useful status conditions for support roles. Why make everything just a different elemental version of the same thing (lightning staff)?

Because as much as ZOS and others want to sell Ice as a Magicka Tank element, Frost Mage DPS is still very much a thing in the community.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No (No leave them be)
    ArchMikem wrote: »

Because as much as ZOS and others want to sell Ice as a Magicka Tank element, Frost Mage DPS is still very much a thing in the community.

Frost staves are good on other supports too (like Lonestar said)… healers but also brittledens. I don’t see why ice staves having a channel benefits brittledens at all, and I play one. I rarely, if ever, HA in group PvE, overland, or battlegrounds. The defensive style is also a pleasure to play… survive through things other dps can’t!
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore