The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Stam or Magplar after U35 patch, and hybrids?

Imperial1995
Imperial1995
✭✭✭
So, haven’t hopped on Xbox NA PvP since the update, and still haven’t quite figured what to go with? I’m seeing a lot of ranged Stamplar builds, but also seeing Magplar is maybe viable? I’m open to feedback, and also advice. I’ll give the basics: was running an Imperial 2H melee build Stamplar, but I can afford to get what I need to switch it as needed.

Guess there really isn’t an overall meta build/set this go around.

Best Answers

• Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Actually there is a meta build for templar right now. But due to the changes to jabs and burning light, lots of people felt its damage dropped significantly and looked out for other ways to play the class. That is why rangeplar with fire staff and bows are kinda popular right now, even though they arent performing that well.

The class is still very strong and best played in melee range. Many good players will rank it around top 3 of all specs after stamnb and stamden. Playing it on range though will put it lower on a tier list.

The problem about the melee templar is, that it is pretty much shoehorned into a specific setup, otherwise it will perform pretty badly. Maybe that is the reason, why people tend to play the ranged class now, since their setup was not optimized and therefore their damage was kinda lowish.

Hard disagree. Ranged magplar is far better right now than melee, with much better kill potential.
    We have the best ranged execute, ranged cc and ranged burst skill in the game.
    If by lower you mean dark flare spammers yeah that skill is bad, but most good templars dont even use it, it's not needed.
    I'll admit maybe in cyro solo 1vx ranged is worse than melee, but for everything else it's much better.
    In bgs it's an extremely popular spec right now, and it's very strong.
    Answer ✓
  • FirmamentOfStars
    FirmamentOfStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »
    Actually there is a meta build for templar right now. But due to the changes to jabs and burning light, lots of people felt its damage dropped significantly and looked out for other ways to play the class. That is why rangeplar with fire staff and bows are kinda popular right now, even though they arent performing that well.

The class is still very strong and best played in melee range. Many good players will rank it around top 3 of all specs after stamnb and stamden. Playing it on range though will put it lower on a tier list.

The problem about the melee templar is, that it is pretty much shoehorned into a specific setup, otherwise it will perform pretty badly. Maybe that is the reason, why people tend to play the ranged class now, since their setup was not optimized and therefore their damage was kinda lowish.

Hard disagree. Ranged magplar is far better right now than melee, with much better kill potential.
    If by lower you mean dark flare spammers yeah that skill is bad, but most good templars dont even use it, it's not needed.
    I'll admit maybe in cyro solo 1vx ranged is worse than melee, but for everything else it's much better.

Strongly disagree with you. You might have some combo with meteor and javelin and thats it.
    Meleeplar is better in 1vX, since it has just general better survivability and healing while facing the enemy.
    Meleeplar is better in smallscaling aswell, since your friends most likely are melee aswell (wardens, dks and necro), therefore you dont want to stay outside of your group to get focussed easely.
    Even 1v1 meleeplar is better, since you arent going to kite enemies on templar anyway and in the infight, you are vulnerable as rangeplar.
    In bgs rangeplar might be good, since you can hide behind your group and pressure enemies. But this practically is zerging playstyle, where you rangeplar also is doing fine with javelin and being range.
    Your "best tools" all can be used on a meleeplar aswell, so there is zero advantage a rangeplar does have over a meleeplar.
    Unless you are zerging, rangeplar just does not cut it. It even has less damage as a meleeplar, since all ranged skills do not hit as hard as jabs. Additionally you are just missing out on probably 1k spelldamage by either having a fire staff or a bow compared to dual wield.
    I have fought quite some rangeplars on PC EU and they are annoying, but I haven't seen one rangeplar being dangerous or overwhelmingly strong. The playstyle might be popular, probably because of people not knowing it better.
    Edited by FirmamentOfStars on September 16, 2022 4:14PM
    Answer ✓
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There isnt really a set meta for templar, it's kind of a wild west kinda thing where everyone does their own thing. I kinda like it.
    That being said ranged magplar with fire staff shreds pretty hard rn, on pc EU it's probably the most popular templar spec from what I've seen.
  • FirmamentOfStars
    FirmamentOfStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭

• Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »

Strongly disagree with you. You might have some combo with meteor and javelin and thats it.
    Meleeplar is better in 1vX, since it has just general better survivability and healing while facing the enemy.
    Meleeplar is better in smallscaling aswell, since your friends most likely are melee aswell (wardens, dks and necro), therefore you dont want to stay outside of your group to get focussed easely.
    Even 1v1 meleeplar is better, since you arent going to kite enemies on templar anyway and in the infight, you are vulnerable as rangeplar.
    In bgs rangeplar might be good, since you can hide behind your group and pressure enemies. But this practically is zerging playstyle, where you rangeplar also is doing fine with javelin and being range.
    Your "best tools" all can be used on a meleeplar aswell, so there is zero advantage a rangeplar does have over a meleeplar.
    Unless you are zerging, rangeplar just does not cut it. It even has less damage as a meleeplar, since all ranged skills do not hit as hard as jabs. Additionally you are just missing out on probably 1k spelldamage by either having a fire staff or a bow compared to dual wield.
    I have fought quite some rangeplars on PC EU and they are annoying, but I haven't seen one rangeplar being dangerous or overwhelmingly strong. The playstyle might be popular, probably because of people not knowing it better.

Again, I disagree. First off, fire staff does not equate to low dmg, my build runs around 6k spell damage, which is plenty.
    Aurora javelin and beam are both better used at ranged, and hit very hard.
    You really dont need to zerg for the build to function, I take on some of the sweatiest stamdens, dks etc with 0 issues 1v1.
    Also for low defenses again, disagree, you have exactly the same defensive tools as a melee build, but with the added option of not having to hard commit to any fight.
  • soniku4ikblis
    soniku4ikblis
    ✭✭✭
    I love my melee magplar. I still play it. Its still good. I can toe-to-toe with the sweaties on Greyhost.

The rangeplar is really neat though. But you know, after playing for so long, our class is predictable. All my opponents that are good players know that the Backlash combo is coming so they can easily heal up for that.

However, in fog-of-war fights, that rangeplar is smoking ppl left and right with Meteor/Jav/Jesus Beam. lol its rather pretty

I'm still doing the same thing myself. There's no reason not to run Jesus Beam now. Its just too powerful with Backlast/Ulty.

The only people I am outright dominating are the peasants and the zerglings. You know, the noobies. I sure miss our old jabs and the 33% damage we had on jabs. I miss my OP jabs lol.

You know the only time anyone gave me the scare was during a fight when a magplar ran zaan and Vates Staff. Those two beams put me on defense for sure. I might consider running that soon. But our fight was long and those beams only lined up once. So it was more of a surprise when it happened and it seemed like it too forever to show up.
    Edited by soniku4ikblis on September 20, 2022 8:20PM
    __._-*._._._.-*'"{Sonic Euphoric Bliss}"'*-._._._.*-_.__
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    blah blah blah

The class is still very strong and best played in melee range. Many good players will rank it around top 3 of all specs after stamnb and stamden. blah blah blah

blah blah blah

-100 credibility

(Due to your excluding DK from top 3 specs)
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • auz
    auz
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, haven’t hopped on Xbox NA PvP since the update, and still haven’t quite figured what to go with? I’m seeing a lot of ranged Stamplar builds, but also seeing Magplar is maybe viable? I’m open to feedback, and also advice. I’ll give the basics: was running an Imperial 2H melee build Stamplar, but I can afford to get what I need to switch it as needed.

Guess there really isn’t an overall meta build/set this go around.

Hybrid templar.

Acuity front, Rallying back, balorgh or bloodspawn. I am using markyn, but sea serpent probably better if you have it. Stam jabs, radiant oppression, mag backlash. Not my build, I copied asayas and made some very minor adjustments. Look him up on yt. Build feels heaps strong to play and has lots of healing and tanking ability. Still struggle a bit with tankier people, but I think that is going to be the case for everyone/ class this patch.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people are happy with crit builds on targets not running crit resist, or using Jesus beam from a crowd. It's all pretty much nonsense.

I did nuke a sorc in a ranged contest which was kind of funny as they were a good on I used to struggle with just as sorc used to be a Templar weakness just as Templar used to be for DK until they destroyed class identity. You just realize that all classes got gutted, and some just more than others
    Edited by TechMaybeHic on September 21, 2022 3:27AM
  • auz
    auz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure why you wouldn't build into crit on templar, with crit damage modifiers so easy to come by.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    auz wrote: »
    Not sure why you wouldn't build into crit on templar, with crit damage modifiers so easy to come by.

Well it's fine if you hit someone with no crit resist and in the 5 seconds acuity will last out of 20. Will make some pretty numbers to be cherry picked or you burst one for a highlight reel. Someone with CP and impen will take away 43% of that extra damage, which is capped at 125% and weather that high crit chance until it's over along with also having armor to reduce further as you then build less pen and damage. So tanky opponents which are all over the place, and drawn out fights; you'll see a huge drop off. That's why a lot of guys just LOS forever to wait for their window and pick soft targets which are abundant for 1vx "look how cool I am" moments, and there has been a slacking on crit resist to a degree, but I wouldn't count on it

NBs have done crit builds in the past because they could garauntee a crit without a 20 second CD. They've been kind of nerfed on some of it lately