The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Style and Trait Sorting

Cyber10
Cyber10
✭✭✭✭
This is something that has always bugged me, so I figured that I would post it.

Why are crafting Styles and Trait stones not in alphabetical order when at a crafting bench? It seems so backwards to cycle through all of them when looking for a specific style. It would make sense to be in alphabetical order.
I am on console, so maybe on PC there is a way to sort, but on console there is not.
  • MonkLoHan
    MonkLoHan
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Unfortunately, they are listed in order of Crafting Motif number. They should list them in alpha order instead.

If you have a Master Crafter who has learned most of the styles, you can just try scrolling over if you know you are trying to craft a an Ancestral Nord or Ancestral whatever type motif.

• Cyber10
    Cyber10
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. It's annoying while doing writs looking for a specific style scrolling through slowly.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MonkLoHan wrote: »
    I agree. Unfortunately, they are listed in order of Crafting Motif number. They should list them in alpha order instead.

If you have a Master Crafter who has learned most of the styles, you can just try scrolling over if you know you are trying to craft a an Ancestral Nord or Ancestral whatever type motif.

This is true after a certain point, but you will note that the Imperial style is well after the basic racial styles even though it's #10 and should immediately follow Khajiit.

OP - I also wish ZOS would create a way to sort these alphabetically. But even then, with the number of motifs that get added in a year, a great deal of scrolling will still be involved.
  • Forfold
    Forfold
    Soul Shriven
    Same with sorting researchable items on console. It's so hard to manage inventory and finding any dupes I may have that I want to decon (still working on researching lots of stuff). Especially the cloth station, since it's a conglomerate of light and medium armor.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Motif styles are listed according to the release of content. So:

Base game
    Imperial City
    Orsinium
    Hew's Bane
    Gold Coast
    Shadows of the Hist
    Morrowind
    Horns of the Reach
    Clockwork City
    Dragon Bones
    Summerset
    Wolfhunter
    Murkmire
    Wrathstone
    Elsweyr
    Scalebreaker
    Dragonhold
    Harrowstorm
    Greymoor
    Stonethorn
    Markarth
    Flames of Ambition
    Blackwood
    Waking Flame
    Deadlands
    Ascending Tide
    High Isle
    Lost Depths
    Edited by redlink1979 on September 2, 2022 1:57PM
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The actual order would not matter if it was logical, known, and visible on the list and the writ. When you’re viewing the list, you need to know which way to scroll to find that particular one, and that’s about all. It doesn’t matter if it’s a numerical order or an alphabetic one, as long as you can compare your current position in the list with the one you want.

Right now, all you get is a name, so the desired order is alphabetical. It they told you the number on the writ, then a numerical sequence would work. There is clearly a global order, as everyone sees the styles the same way, and it’s not just the order you acquired them. Just reveal that in the list, and the writs, and we can work with it.
    Edited by ghastley on September 18, 2022 1:53PM