Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 43 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/662078/

The community of ESO | My Experience RePoStEd

kity
kity
Soul Shriven
This Forum Post has been modified after consultation with a forum mod.

I've noticed a lot of people who play cyrodiil or imperial city have tons to say, so I started going offline to avoid harassment or random msgs and havent appeared online since over 2 months from writing this. But I watched "The most hated hated man on the internet" with my mom the other day on netflix about Hunter Moore, and it reminded me of a message I got two weeks ago which got me to thinking-
Is it normal to get lots of hate, threats, bullies, trolls, information leaked or worse in The Elder Scrolls Online? This person messaged me about a bunch of stuff and said how I was REDACTED BY MODERATION throughout a paragraph and sent me stuffs like:
"REDACTED BY MODERATION"
Aaaand yes the typo is from their message : D
I reported this message the moment I saw it 16 days ago on the 29th, and they are still not banned (:
You have to wonder how normal this behaviour is to them, can't imagine who else they might harass and when it will end if they treat everyone they aren't friends with like this! I'd imagine the sooner they are gone the better, but it just feels bad every time I have to see this person somewhere in IC or cyro. Now if they were cheating or something it would be a very serious issue right?

TLDR- Someone sent me some bad messages, I saw a movie w/ my mom about bully victims a week later coincidentally. I'm asking you all to speak out if you get harassed and wondered if this happens regularly. I'm sure people hate giving money to a service that promotes this
  • Knockmaker
    Knockmaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is a part of every pvp mode in every mmorpg. I have received hundreds of hate whispers, been called a lot of things. If people are salty because of you killing them etc., that is what the ignore button is for. Alternatively, you can remain in offline mode while in such situations. Of course you can choose to report them if it gets you that bad. But, if they were to ban everyone for calling each other pejorative words regarding their gaming skills, intelligence etc., the game's population would be drastically lower than it already is now.

Just use ignore button more efficiently or remain appearing offline during such situations where the defeated player may get infuriated for one reason or the other.
    Options
  • ForumBully
    ForumBully
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are people looking for negative attention by giving negative attention. Never give it to them.
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't want my post to be victim blaming.

But, in my 6 years of playing, a lot of which has been PVP, I can count on one hand the number of people that have directly reached out to me, and like 2 of those times was negative.

I truly think that the people who seem to get ridiculously flamed in PVP are doing something to call that attention to themselves. T-bagging, bragging, engaging in a back and forth in some way. Something to stand out and actually be targeted in some way.

Either that, or Xbox players just generally have better things to do than messaging random PVP players.
    Options
  • svendf
    svendf
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have been in that boat, being harassed. Im not an PvP player, the only PvP I have done is to get my Warhorn for my tanks and healers. So I had to enter Cyro or BG for that six times (six chars).

In my case it was more about not accepting their duel invite and got mudballed to oblivion, had to leave the spot to come back later and hope they where gone. Getting called all kind of things in chat. People throwing LA at my spot, to people release, their two handed on my char.

Yes. I know not all PvPérs are not like that, I have some on my friendslist, maybe they saw what went on and wanted to stand up for me.

I have seen alot in ESO against other player´s as well and it´s not pretty. I feel bad for, what you have been through and hope you will be ok.

I really feel ESO is a toxic game, because of problems on different levels and game design issues.
    Edited by svendf on September 14, 2022 2:58PM
    Options
  • ForumBully
    ForumBully
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    I really don't want my post to be victim blaming.

But, in my 6 years of playing, a lot of which has been PVP, I can count on one hand the number of people that have directly reached out to me, and like 2 of those times was negative.

I truly think that the people who seem to get ridiculously flamed in PVP are doing something to call that attention to themselves. T-bagging, bragging, engaging in a back and forth in some way. Something to stand out and actually be targeted in some way.

Either that, or Xbox players just generally have better things to do than messaging random PVP players.

Agreed, in most circumstances. The exception I've seen is players who are simply known females...that's all it takes to receive unwelcome attention online sometimes.
    Edited by ForumBully on September 14, 2022 2:58PM
    Options
  • kity
    kity
    Soul Shriven
    Knockmaker wrote: »
    Just use ignore button
    yes!

Options
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're already doing what you need to do by playing offline when in PvP land.

Other than that significantly heinous messages that aren't just basic salt nonsense should be reported, even if it feels like nothing will be done about it.

I can assure you that this game doesn't promote toxicity in PvP land. Toxic people just standout more than others.
    kity wrote: »
    Is it normal to get lots of hate, threats, bullies, trolls, information leaked or worse in The Elder Scrolls Online?
    As someone who's played a significant amount of PvP long after reaching max alliance rank to obtain my precious Elder Scroll furnishing, your idea of normal is not normal.

Yes people will t-bag, make threats, criticize you, troll zone, say racist/sexist things, etc. However, this is not the norm and is just something that'll happen every now and then. If you want to play online and someone is being toxic for no reason just block them. The PvP community isn't as bad as some players make it out to be.
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get hate messages in PVP, but I'm sure part of that is I play a healer, so I'm not going to show up on death recaps.

I do occasionally get hate messages in PVE when someone gets mad that my speedy farmer beat them to a crafting node they were looking at. Some people will get toxic about competition of any sort, period.

As always, if it's against the TOS, report it as many times as necessary.
    Options
  • Androrix
    Androrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for posting this @Kity.

I understand removing the name but I kind of wish the post hadn't been quite so heavily moderated. I would have liked to have understood the gist of what was being said. Many people troll and abuse online and I think there is not enough recognition or discussion of the impact that can have on some of us. It actually makes on line social interraction difficult if not exclusionary for people with anxiety. I believe it should be treated similarly to other forms of abuse. At a mimimum, you should know if action was taken against the person concerned so that you are not left with a sense of injustice. I can understand how you feel when you see him wandering around.

I will say that I have encountered some of this, but it is greatly offset by what is on the whole a fabulous and supportive community. Players and veteran players especially on here rarely let a cyber bully get past them and will almost always have your back.
    Options
  • ZOS_Suserial
    ZOS_Suserial
    admin
    Greetings,

If you feel that someone is violating our Terms of Service, Code of Conduct, or Community Rules with inappropriate behavior please don't feel like you can't contact our support team, or that nothing will be done if you do.
    We take reports of harassment, hate speech, and inappropriate behavior very seriously and ask that you report any incident by following these steps: https://beth.games/37FlKIj or by submitting a support ticket at https://help.elderscrollsonline.com

You may not see an immediate response to the situation but it will be looked into.

Best regards
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Community Rules | Code-of-Conduct | Terms-of-Service | ESO-Home | ESO-Help
    Options
    Staff Post
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've had Cyrodiil hate mail like 5 times in 7 years. Just weirdos calling me a zerging in the smaller campaigns.

Battlegrounds can be much worse, especially if you play werewolf.

@ZOS_Suserial if your team really cared you would have removed the ability to whisper enemy players who arent on your friends list while in pvp modes years ago. As it is all you do is enable them by making it as easy as typing /whisperFluffWit.
    Options
  • kity
    kity
    Soul Shriven
    Androrix wrote: »
    Thank you for posting this @Kity.
    Thank you for taking the time to read my post and respond (:
    Androrix wrote: »
    Many people troll and abuse online and I think there is not enough recognition or discussion of the impact that can have on some of us.
    There are definitely lines that shouldn't be crossed, I wish the topic wasn't stigmatized
    Options
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry you had to live these awful experiences, @Kity. One shouldn't have to be on offline mode to be able to enjoy the game.

In many years playing PvP on and off I've been contacted by enemy players a few times. Curiously, most of these involved helpful comments on my build and in one case (which to this day I can't comprehend), one of them even sent a friend request. It was only a month or so ago that I got my first hate whisper, which derided me for using a "broken set" and called me a kid. Far from being offended, that flattered me, as it meant I was going in the right direction. But that was my experience.

Unfortunately, PvP's very competitive and that can expose people's ugly sides. On the other hand, as my odd examples above show, you can occasionally have pleasant contact with enemy players. It's a good thing you started this discussion, as more people might feel inclined to share their experiences. I hope all the support you've received here will convince you to keep playing.

Edit: Now that I know a little better about the nature of what happened to you, I can say that's absolutely abhorrent. It's not just some generic and uncreative insult, but something designed to be disturbing. I hope ZoS does something about this sooner rather than later.

Edited by Carcamongus on September 14, 2022 10:29PM
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the initial post prior to removal and reposting without the first included information. It was a very nasty post that most women (and some men) would find disturbing - and apparently the person messaging the OP somehow dug up information about her online (or at least said so, in order to cause more disturbance and angst) which said person used in further upsetting language.

As OP has stated it was reported, that's a good thing - and now the wheels of Customer Support (which grind exceeding slow unfortunately) can be hoped to take some action.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • Klingenlied
    Klingenlied
    ✭✭✭✭
    Boring. Block the people, ignore them. If ye don't want drama, don't be a part of it.

Generally it is all just ordinary humans playing what is an already somewhat aged MMORPG with a lot of "normals", a few "hardcores", many friendly and some not so friendly players. So most of the time, your actions will be the cause of the reactions you get. That's it.

Are there exceptions? Maybe. But if it really would have been "real" bad, I dunno - support would have done something.
    Options