Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Why I canceled my subscription after one month

CaptainStar27
I played ESO in Beta and preordered before it came out. I was exited to try a new MMO where I can make my own build designed around my play style. One month after starting I have canceled my subscription. The reason? I cannot chose my own build in this game. Not even close.
I chose Templar because I like playing tanky self-healers (like warden from LOTRO) and wanted to make a PvP oriented build with heavy armor and dual that could also tank in PvE with dual wield and tempar aoe abilities. This was ok when I was leveling to 50, but once I hit veteran ranks I began to realize that just because I didn't chose Dragonknight and sword and board I could never be a viable tank in end game PvE, and because I didn't become a vampire I could never be good at PvP. Don't get me wrong, I had some success with my build in PvP, but once I ran into the DK vamps it was all over, you just can't win.
So because I didn't want to become the same shield-bashing bat-swarming DK vamp that everybody else is play I am now playing an obsolete character that I spent hours leveling because I thought it would be a fun and different build to try.
The gist of it is that I could literally have more decision in any other MMO because while they have locked classes and armor/weapon types each class is viable, so instead of having only 1 viable build (like in ESO) there would at least be ~9 viable classes that are more or less balanced.

Have fun spamming shield bash and dark talons,
One disappointed gamer
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are multiple reports of not needing Dragon Knight, 1H + Shield, or even Heavy Armor to tank end-game veteran dungeons.
  • Nivzruo_ESO
    Nivzruo_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is being fixed, vamp ult which is the huge issue here will be nerfed, you'll still have people do this but now they will be killable.
    Nelgyntc- V14 NB
  • Grozny
    Grozny
    While I can agree that some builds are clearly better than others at any given time, I feel like the game is constantly being updated for a better balance structure. From a game design stand point, balance is arguably the hardest piece of a game to develop. As Nivzruo mentioned, vamps are getting a pretty big nerf and there's nothing to say that dark talons won't be getting one either. The game is too fluid with the updates to make a final call, but at least for the time being your points are perfectly valid.
  • Omniphonic
    Omniphonic
    ✭✭
    i cancelled because after i got done deleting gold spam emails and switching across 3 characters to try to make sense of my inventory i was too furious from dealing with inconvenience I couldn't enjoy playing the game.
  • Crescent
    Crescent
    ✭✭✭✭
    What I find kind of mystifying is that a group of 4-5 mobs is much more lethal than a boss mob itself at the veteran level.

And it's very uneven, because some group of mobs do ok, kinda threatening damage, and then there are those marauders that hit like a truck through capped armor rating and you have 2-3 mobs casting heavy attacks at you in sequence, either wiping all your stamina from blocking and still taking out 1/4 your HP through the blocks, or their attacks hit despite blocking, or if you block they somehow don't become disoriented.

And this game seems to only reward builds that either build for really high damage or really high survival.
  • ConterK
    ConterK
    ✭✭
    Well, is like everything..
    you can't expect every build be equally effective..
    you pick a build and you are more or less effective than other builds..

Maybe you just picked a build that is not AS EFFECTIVE as the DK/vamp combo..

But that's on you, not on the game, there's not one game out there that have that level of "balance".. because if there's such thing then, why have different builds? if they can all do the same things with the same effectiveness?
  • remraub16_ESO
    remraub16_ESO
    ✭✭
    Sword+Board Night Blade here, VR3, tanking with no problem what so ever.
    I've seen Templars do the same.

1H+Shield is ofc the best option for tanking, but in a strong group you can tank with any weapon as long as you have the taunt from Undaunted line.
  • Jarnhand
    Jarnhand
    ✭✭✭
    1H+S templars are actually very good!
  • Jarnhand
    Jarnhand
    ✭✭✭
    i cancelled because after i got done deleting gold spam emails and switching across 3 characters to try to make sense of my inventory i was too furious from dealing with inconvenience I couldn't enjoy playing the game.

Sadly jugling 5 toons just to be able to play sucks big time! Crafting items should have been vaulted differently. Like it is now its just a hassle to coordinate it all!
  • Lupinemw
    Lupinemw
    ✭✭✭
    Well all I can say is no game and I mean no game gets it perfect from the off. They need to make mistakes to make it work and they need a lot of data as well.

As for peoples often fun Rage quit moments all I can say is so long and thanks for the fish..
    Elysium
    EU Casual Mature Daggerfall Covenant Guild

Would you like to know more?! Check us out below
    elysium-eso.guildlaunch.com
  • KoooZ
    KoooZ
    ✭✭
    Lupinemw wrote: »
    Well all I can say is no game and I mean no game gets it perfect from the off. They need to make mistakes to make it work and they need a lot of data as well.

As for peoples often fun Rage quit moments all I can say is so long and thanks for the fish..

The dolphins said that while abandoning a doomed world they tried to warn others was doomed and the world promptly ends...

Seems like the sky is falling quitters would be the ones to mention the fish..
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both shield bash and vampires are getting nerfed. You gave up quite prematurely.

Did you ask anyone for help with your templar regarding tanking?

Now regarding using dual wield for tanking you will need a huge amount of health and armor to make up for the mitigation loss of arbitrarily refusing to wear a shield. Weapons are made for killing, shields are made for defending, if you choose poorly for a particular task there will be consequences. They were not anticipating a random assembly of abilities for a given task but a reasoned selection of abilities for a given task.

The only reason you could use any build in Lotro is because they nerfed the content down so far that you only needed 1 captain and the rest dps. (Still a great game as far as content and fun)
    Edited by Armitas on May 2, 2014 4:01PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bye Bye.