Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Noob questions from a noob player

RowdyAlpaca
RowdyAlpaca
Soul Shriven

Been playing for a couple months now, have several characters, different classes and races. All DPS and 1 healer. The friends who convinced me to try the game mostly stopped playing about a week after I joined, so don't really have them to ask. If it makes a difference for the question, I do have ESO+ and High Isles.

On to the questions!

What stats do light attacks and heavy attacks run off of? I assume magicka for staves and stamina for the other weapons, but haven't seen anything one way or another.

How do dots (damage over time) work? Some skills say X damage over Z seconds, others say X damage every Y seconds for Z seconds. Are those different? What happens when Z is not an even multiple of Y (eg, does X damage every second for 0.8 seconds)? If a passive increases the duration of the dot, how does that effect the damage? Just spreads the same damage out over a longer time period? Adds more ticks of damage?

Some items say "This is already in your library", but Collections >> Library doesn't show it. Like the housing brochure you get. What libraries should I be looking in to find these items? Wouldn't want to delete an item that may be important later.

On a youtube video, they said the Bandits UI addon would put check marks by the dungeons if you've done them once, and also if you completed the quest for that dungeon. I installed the addon, but haven't figured out how to make the dungeon check boxes appear. Is it some hidden setting I couldn't find? Some other addon entirely?

What's a good way to get Jora runes (the lowest tier potency rune)? I find that the enchantment crafting writs almost always require those. And while I have tons of runes, and am a compulsive gatherer, I almost never get that specific rune.

Does anyone use the guild traders at all? I've visited maybe 5-10 different ones, at different times. They never have anything on them for sale. Or is this just something I have to unlock at a particular level?

I have an orc dragonknight at level 34. I've got about 2 weeks worth of items to research per craft, and every day I run a dungeon, I get another week's worth of research to do. What's the advice? Just stuff my bank full of hundreds of pieces of gear until I'm all caught up?

I went to Cyrodiil at level 10 on most of my characters, but skipped the siege weapon training. Is there a way to go back and do that quest, and get Alliance xp for it? Or do I just need to suck it up and do pvp to reach level 3 in Alliance?

Anyway, that's all the questions I have for now. Thanks for any answers!
  • Lucifer_Sam
    Lucifer_Sam
    ✭✭
    I can answer a couple. For the library question, complete the mages guild quest line to get Eidetic memory. That will then show you every book you've read.

For the runes, you can buy all potency runes from mystics/enchantment vendors. Think they're only about 15 gold per rune. I find it cheaper in the long run than trying to farm the low level runes on a low level character.

For guild traders, you should be seeing something, especially if you're visiting traders in the major cities. There is no requirement for buying from traders. Only for selling, where you need to be in a guild that has a trader. Sounds like you're on PC so I'd recommend using Awesome Guild Store addon. Gives you more options when trying to search traders.
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    La/ha: light and heavy attacks will scale off your highest stamina/magicka resource pool and your highest weapon/spell power regardless of which weapon you use.

Dots: ground aoe dots(dots that are cast on the ground and stay there) deal x amount of dmg every 1s E.G. wall of elements have a 10s duration and will therefor deal 10ticks of dmg. Enemy targeted dots(dots that are applied to an enemy and stick on them wherever they move) deal x amount of damage every 2s. Sets like kra'gh will have in their description that they deal dmg every 0.6s etc.

Banditui: not sure how that one work. I have "dungeon tracker" installed and it adds a check mark when I look in the dungeon finder.

Jora runes: eso zones scale with your lvl. That means in order to find low lvl materials either your character need to be in the specific lvl for that kind of material or your potency improvement need to be set at the lvl range for the specific material to drop. Since jora is lvl 1 your character need to be at maximum lvl 10 i rhink or not have lvled potency improvement at all to have a chance to find them. Or you can buy from another player.

Guild traders: some traders are more active than others. Usually craglorn, alliance capitals(wayrest, elden root, mournhold) and the last zone(riften, reapers march, evermore) in each alliance are busy, also the expansion zones capitals.

Dragonknight researcher: you can do it like that, researching takes time(many months). You could also buy items for cheap(300-2000gold) at guild traders when your research is done if your bank is needed for other stuff, or ask a guildmate if they can create it.

Cyrodiil: if you pressed the "skip quest" alternative then there is no way of redoing it. Earning alliance points is easy and quick though and you will be at lvl 3 in no time! Try doing battlegrounds or joining a group in cyrodiil.

Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA