The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Give me a reason to pay

martinhpb16_ESO
martinhpb16_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
So since 2014 I thought that the ESO+ sub of £9.99 was a price worth paying. Until now, I just cancelled my sub after 8 years.

Despite the changes. glitches and pvp lag I was happy to pay. Not so much for the benefits, they are convenient after all, but more for keeping the game going and contributing to development.

When I cast my mind back the early years were truly glorious. Challenging and interesting overland, huge pvp battles and awesome trials with friends.

Gradually things began to slowly but surely change.

Overland got easier and easier to the point I just could not see the point any more. I gave up. I still bought into updates because I wanted to support the game and players who still enjoyed this content. Then I just thought, what am I doing. Why even pay I get nothing from this. Casuals seem to hate what I want, challenging overland, why should I pay for their content anymore.

My trial groups fell by the wayside. Such a shame after years of truly epic content and great fun and friendship.

So I was left with pvp. I stuck with ZOS through all the meta changes, experiments, tank meta, no proc, campaign shut downs, pop reductions and p2w classes. Dark convergence, ball groups and nerfs. I have played Stamblade bowgank since BETA. I've put up with the troll tells, nerfs to my playstyle and tea bagging. I stuck to "play how I want" and managed to be viable every patch somehow through thick and thin. I never caved in to the meta flip flop. And I put up with the interminable lag on PC EU.

Until now. U35

What killed it for me is having to pay £30+ for an update to get Oakensoul just to be viable. I did not buy High Isle. Apart from that one item I have no interest in anything that update has so I refuse to participate. What also killed it is the interminable lag on PC EU. What also killed it is the attitude of the devs ignoring PTS and persisting with their update, making the game less fun for all sorts of people. The attitude of we know best.

So I go into pvp without Oakensoul, I try and do my thing against the lag and the Mara's meta, and the bouncing ball groups and its just total junk.

In the back of my mind is that the Devs think I am 'kneejerk'. So I withdraw my support.
At least the spelling is difficult for you.
Hew's Bane*
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    From what I have been told, PvP in ESO died eight years ago, that most of the serious PvP community left in the first year ESO was out so I find it surprising that is what someone has been holding on to. PvE raid groups are generally in flux with players changing all the time, which can lead to raid groups shutting down. We look for new raid members or raid groups.

I am not arguing with you as to each their own. But enjoying an MMORPG has a lot to do with enjoying who you play with and if they leave finding new people to play with. I hope you find something you do enjoy.
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm paying money only for new solo story contents, not for Trial not for PVP.
    Solo story contents is only interest for the Elder Scrolls fan people.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    From what I have been told, PvP in ESO died eight years ago, that most of the serious PvP community left in the first year ESO was out so I find it surprising that is what someone has been holding on to. PvE raid groups are generally in flux with players changing all the time, which can lead to raid groups shutting down. We look for new raid members or raid groups.

I am not arguing with you as to each their own. But enjoying an MMORPG has a lot to do with enjoying who you play with and if they leave finding new people to play with. I hope you find something you do enjoy.

Oh were still pokin around donchu worry :) Few to none are are still together though and spread out! #pug4lyfe now maybe! I just refuse to go DC cuz i just dont look good in blue! =p
    Edited by deleted221205-002626 on September 1, 2022 2:22AM
  • Redguards_Revenge
    Redguards_Revenge
    ✭✭✭✭
    They'll introduce capes sooner or later with some op broken abilites.
  • Jamie_Aubrey
    Jamie_Aubrey
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't go into CP, The ring works in NO CP so go there and have fun, you will still get balls but none that will bomb you, just the usual spin 2 win crap
    RETIRED FROM ESO
    PC/EU
    Former Empress & Grand Overlord Vex Valentino
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm paying money only for new solo story contents, not for Trial not for PVP.
    Solo story contents is only interest for the Elder Scrolls fan people.

That's a gross generalization and an entire fan base. I'm a long time Elder Scrolls fan but also a long time MMO player so I buy the expansions for both the story and the dungeon/trial group content.
  • stevenyaub16_ESO
    stevenyaub16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow 8 yrs considering your interests in the game is commendable.

But what's the point you are trying to make?
  • kurbbie_s
    kurbbie_s
    ✭✭✭

pvp was good until they added proc sets that carry everyone. The skill level of gamers now days is so low, its insane.
  • charley222
    charley222
    ✭✭✭✭
    i also play from day 1 and are agree with op after 8 year is very discouraging ,
    basic stull after 8 year are not balance well , everyone use the same weapon type or staff , he all know the best race ,

is sad because the game have everything great lore voice npc .a lot of content great music graphic, but really struggles with the combat and balance ,

on the other hand , other game are not better , i just think he play in a era good talen is hard to find because the industry become so big the talen is dilute . the same with sport team that draft player back in the old day you have around 20 team , today you have around 40 team sure the talen is dilute , i tip you my hat keeping your sub 8 year lol . me after the 2 first year paying for playing a beta for console and they reward us with only 100 :( crown a month i quite :* and sometime sub
    Edited by charley222 on September 2, 2022 2:07PM
    the wall of the covenant
  • Captain_Devildog
    Captain_Devildog
    ✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

Players who stay loyal and will play the game for the next 10 years they don't care.
    Just the hard truth i pay hundreds of euro's each month and i stopped with that too.

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 2, 2022 4:37PM
  • charley222
    charley222
    ✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

Players who stay loyal and will play the game for the next 10 years they don't care.
    Just the hard truth i pay hundreds of euro's each month and i stopped with that too.

i`m agree they are looking more for new player , history of this game prove this 110% agree .
    but he come too a point after 8 year is become harder too always find new player ,
    this game will need to be fix in the next 2 year or i bet is not going to look good for eso ,

personaly i think this game need to be rebalance from the ground and the dev have a massive job too do , this game offer a lot of option sadly easy 85% are outdate , because new content release are only powercreep item making most of the previous gear useless , i guess the main reason is too attract player buying the new content $$$, the game is free to play so fair enough , sadly after a few year your game have a lot of outdate gear . maybe the dev think working on outdate gear is a waste of time and money and not thinking is good too update old gear in the longrun idk i`m not in they head lol , but he are all agree something is wrong with the game

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 2, 2022 4:38PM
    the wall of the covenant
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kurbbie_s wrote: »

pvp was good until they added proc sets that carry everyone. The skill level of gamers now days is so low, its insane.

As you've found out, production, overheads etc cost so much nowadays they have to cater to the masses, not those that expect to find a game swarming with elite levelled skilled players.

Maybe it's annoying, but those low level skilled players are the only reason you are here today on this very forum typing what you're typing.

There's like 1001 other games out there, surely there's something that will scratch your itch. Games evolve. Leave some players behind, it's not a new phenomenon.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So since 2014 I thought that the ESO+ sub of £9.99 was a price worth paying. Until now, I just cancelled my sub after 8 years.

In the back of my mind is that the Devs think I am 'kneejerk'. So I withdraw my support.

I am PVE, not PVP, but I canceled three ESO Plus subscriptions this year. Even so, if there is actually an answer to the "give me a reason to pay", I'm all ears! :smile:

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of us started here from Beta an experienced similar situations as the OP. The opinion of a 8 year vet with sub is no knee jerk reaction. That's being very supportive over 8 years.

The devs say they are working on the lag as usual. We've heard these speeches all the way back as far as launch an that's what hit the population hardest was those bad launch days on Streams everywhere. Things have improved at some times then worse at others. Who knows after they've picked every torchbug out of cyrodiil, deer and bunny you'd think they even knew a direction by now. Past exploits include reducing AOE's or increasing them , particle reduction goofs, network portforwarding posts on the forums to possible quantum scientific metaphysical theory of modems floating near reflecting pools with perfectly coiled wires.... but I digress.

It's been a long journey for all of us just wanting to play with tolerable problems. Good post.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your money, your decision
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    sinnereso wrote: »
    Amottica wrote: »

Oh were still pokin around donchu worry :)

Is that why the Cyrodiil population is a small fraction of what it was in the first year?

I understand that not only has the population cap per campaign been reduced multiple times, but before it was reduced multiple campaigns were pop capped during prime time on weeknights.

• Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your money, your decision

This is the best answer here. None of us can make choices for the OP. It is their choice if they want to keep playing ESO and paying for access to content and more just as it is our choice for our own game here.
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos counts on people paying no matter what and they haven't been disappointed yet. Clearly, I have different standards.