The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Question about crit chance/crit damage

Aelorin
Aelorin
✭✭✭✭✭
I came back to the game with the release for High Isle.

A few patches ago there was this thing about hitting enough crit chance (somewhere in the 65% ?) , and then go into crit damage.
However this seems no longer to be the case. Every guide I read goes on about hitting crit damage cap of 125%.

Since base crit damage is still 50%, is'nt it better to invest in crit chance first, and then in crit damage?

What important part do I seem to be missing? What's the default crit chance one should be aiming for?
And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • Quethrosar
    Quethrosar
    ✭✭✭✭
    this new meta stuff after u35 doesn't even use crits from what i see.
    i say [snip] that, i don't like white numbers.

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 29, 2022 5:55PM
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anywhere close to 60% critical chance these days seems to be optimal. The reason people want to optimize for 125% critical damage these days is because ZoS placed a maximum hard cap of 125% on crit damage multiplier, but that's usually only a concern in a group where you might be receiving Major/Minor Force from teammates. Note that this cap also includes critical damage vulnerability debuffs such as Major/Minor Brittle and Elemental Catalyst.