The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Nightblade Skill - Remove Negative Effects

Seravi
Seravi
✭✭✭✭✭
Either I am blind or the NB doesn't have a skill that removes negative effects. I know there is one in Alliance War but I don't PVP. Am I missing this ability in some morph and just don't see it? Thanks!
Edited by Psiion on August 29, 2022 3:18AM
  • ice34697
    ice34697
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that NB have that built into one of their three specific skill lines. I think you have to get that ability from outside sources as a NB.
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah was afraid of that. Welp time to dive into the PVP pool I guess. :) Thanks!
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark Cloak used to purge but it got nerfed a long time ago.
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    dem0n1k wrote: »

New join players / dev never know about this :)
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That's one thing they should have never taken away completely imo.

Would have been cool if NB could purge by transferring a negative effect to an enemy via the Assassin's Will arrow. Would fit in with the shadow magic theme of translocating essences to or from the caster.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shadowy Disguise suppressed DOT damage for the longest time. It didn't purge, but nullified the damage while you were invisible. Not anymore. As a nightblade I find this annoying for the most part, but not truly dangerous. It forces me to disengage earlier and spend more time healing up and waiting out DOTs while out of sight.

It depends on how you disengage. If you do it with Shadow Image, you shouldn't have much of a problem. If you do it with speed and Shadowy Disguise alone, there is a risk of dying from DOTs, if you let your health run down too low. Most of your available heals uncloak you, e.g. Malevolent Offering, Vigor, Rapid Regen. As far as I know Rally is the only heal that doesn't. If you are trying to disengage and uncloak too early, you may return straight to being focused again. You need to find line of sight before you heal, even if you are at very low health. Not necessarily in a 1v1, but if you're playing against a zerg. On the other hand you will need to figure out when someone is using detection potions against you, in which case cloaking without healing seals your death. That only comes with experience.

Don't know what kind of nightblade you're playing. Regardless, the Alliance War purge is not a popular skill in solo play. It's too expensive. There are some purging sets. Mara's Balm (wait a week for adjustments - it will be nerfed), Curse Eater, Stendarr's Embrace, Wyrd Tree's Blessing. Would I use any of those as a solo player? No. Depends on how they adjust Mara. Purges are borderline useful. Some players love them, especially those that have mained templars. There is a reason, though, why Extended Ritual is such an overloaded skill. The Alliance War purge is a hard sell, unless you want the group utility. As a solo player I think you need more universal skills. E.g. you need heals. I use both Shrewd Offering and Resolving Vigor on my current magblade. I've tried alternatives, notably Mirage / Phantasmal Escape for the new dodge cost reduction, but there is nothing like having a HOT on top of Shrewd Offering. Don't get me wrong, you need the snare removal and speed as well, e.g. Race Against Time (RAT). Depends on your build. At any rate, my current defensive package is those two heals plus RAT. I've used shields in the past, e.g. Healing Ward and Dampen Magic. Having Dampen could noticeably improve how tanky you felt, but building for magicka and, hence, a decent shield size isn't really a thing anymore.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Psiion
    Psiion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,

We have moved this thread to the Combat and Character Mechanics section as it is better fit there.
    Staff Post
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a stam NB using DW and 2H sword. She has just about come to her end of life now having completed almost all of the PVE stuff soon. Not being able to deal with negative effects has been my one issue with my NB but I was planning on starting a new one. I believe I am running Hundings Rage and Night Mothers Gauze mix and it does quite well. I can survive solo PVE but effects just irritate me and was hoping something had changed that maybe I missed before I roll another NB. My Templar, Neco and Warden can all deal with effects as they have skills so when I switch to playing my NB I realize how much I use those. Thanks for the info! :)
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember that one morph used to have something like this. One morph of Cloak had guaranteed crit on next attack, and the other was a defensive focused one, that was removing harmful effects (I think it was like 5 negative effects or something). And important part - both were giving you invisibility, just like Shadow Cloak / Shadowy Disguise does.

The problem was that almost alwyas it was used just to cheaply remove harmful effects (and not to actually cloak away). So they removed the feature of this skill, so it would no longer remove negative effects - but it opened another pandora box of problems as cloak back then was being breaked by every thing (la/ha/skill anything).

So, to compensate for that ZOS added DOT supersession - so that it would suppress damage over time. Nowadays however - it does not suppress any damage at all. DOT damage simply does not break / remove cloak.

With current amount of hard counters to invisibility & stealth, cloaking at this point is just a gimmick that is not as good defensive as it used to be.

I wont lie - seeing how Dark Cloak was nerfed into uselessness, I guess it could be nice if they brought back negative effect removal cloak morph, just like it used to be back in the day. As for the NB dedicated healing - technically there is healing skill in siphoning skill line, but it is not a self heal, but one of the morphs could be converted to self heal.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on August 29, 2022 4:09PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seravi wrote: »
    I am a stam NB using DW and 2H sword. She has just about come to her end of life now having completed almost all of the PVE stuff soon. Not being able to deal with negative effects has been my one issue with my NB but I was planning on starting a new one. I believe I am running Hundings Rage and Night Mothers Gauze mix and it does quite well. I can survive solo PVE but effects just irritate me and was hoping something had changed that maybe I missed before I roll another NB. My Templar, Neco and Warden can all deal with effects as they have skills so when I switch to playing my NB I realize how much I use those. Thanks for the info! :)
    What effects are you talking about? To clear roots / snares, use Race Against time, Phantasmal Escape or Shuffle. To gain speed, dodge roll with a bow. To deal with damaging effects, just heal through them. If you do solo PvE you might wear Pale Order, for example (or not - see below). Magicka nightblade has more native skills that heal you while doing damage, although DW also gives you some of that (Bloodthirst, Blood Craze and the ultimate). I don't really notice effects in PvE at all other than roots / snares, but if you do in the content that you do, may also be able to make something of that via CP, for example with Survival Instincts CP.

Nightblade, especially stamblade, tends to feel squishy by default, but there are ways around that. For example using the Brawler 2H skill or wearing Hexos Ward. Hunding's and Night Mother are basic sets. There are better ones out there. If you had access to Vicious Ophidian I'd wear that, but it sounds like you're probably not running trials. No matter. Try Hexos Ward, Vengeance Leech jewelry (should both be cheap in guild stores) and ideally get the Master's 2H weapon (greatsword / maul or greataxe) from normal Dragonstar Arena. Combine with any monster set and you'll have a solo build with decent damage, sustain, and that's very hard to kill.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow okay totally forgot about Psijic skills! Thanks for pointing out the NB skill Phantasmal Escape and Shuffle. I swear I cannot believe I have overlooked these! Thanks again!