The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Does the weapon equipped affect abilities?

Nyseto
Nyseto
✭✭✭
Say you’re using a staff with a melee ability that does physical damage or you’re using a sword with an ability that does magic damage, does it matter?
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some abilities are part of the weapon skill line, and those do matter. You can only use them with the corresponding weapon equipped. The rest may not matter so much, but they use up your magicka or stamina, and you’ll usually have more of one than the other, so sustaining the use of the ability will be a consideration.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most glyphs now are hybrid, i.e. weapon or spell damage. However, if you put an absorb magicka glyph on a melee weapon, I don't know if that would work. I've never tried it, but it seems antithetical to the point of the glyph
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most glyphs now are hybrid, i.e. weapon or spell damage. However, if you put an absorb magicka glyph on a melee weapon, I don't know if that would work. I've never tried it, but it seems antithetical to the point of the glyph

There are two aspects to that sort of effect - the removal of resource from the enemy, and the addition of resource to the player. Which of the two is most beneficial depends on the specific pairing. Draining the mage of magicka may help more than doing the same to an archer in reducing their offense. Draining the same mage of stamina would benefit a stamina-based swordsman, and the archer might provide more, for sustaining the player’s.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »

There are two aspects to that sort of effect - the removal of resource from the enemy, and the addition of resource to the player. Which of the two is most beneficial depends on the specific pairing. Draining the mage of magicka may help more than doing the same to an archer in reducing their offense. Draining the same mage of stamina would benefit a stamina-based swordsman, and the archer might provide more, for sustaining the player’s.

Glyphs don't remove resources from the opponent, either in pve or pvp. They just do damage and give resources to the user. I'm not sure why anyone would think this combination wouldn't work. It might be a poor choice of glyphs pre hybridization, but now, it seems like a reasonable way to add a bit of magicka sustain to a build if needed.
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @nyseto the only skills that change their effect depending on you weapon type, are the destruction staff skills. Wall of elements, destructive touch, impulse and elemental storm. If you have a lightning staff they will deal shock dmg, chance to apply concussion and deal more aoe damage. If you have a fire staff they will deal fire damage, apply burning status effect, you will also deal more single target damage. You can read some of it in the passive skills for destruction staves.

I will add that all weapons have different passives. That will effect your skills slightly in how much damage they will do.
    Edited by Yakidafi on August 26, 2022 8:08PM
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA