Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Motifs

eliteman19
So im curious for others opinions and experiences when it come to acquiring different races' motifs and im wondering if there are places or certain locations that seem to spawn them more frequently than others and if there are any tips or tricks out there to finding them?
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are pretty random. Just check chests, drawers etc when traveling through the world.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • dlb33c
    dlb33c
    Soul Shriven
    Also keep an eye out for the backpacks in the world, I found one in a backpack also nightstands.
  • Varko
    Varko
    ✭✭
    dlb33c wrote: »
    Also keep an eye out for the backpacks in the world, I found one in a backpack also nightstands.

This, pay attention and explore, found a skeleton and a bag next to him on a cliff. Had a motif in it =)
  • narcolepticjedi
    My guild leader claims to have found 2 in cold harbour, cleaning out the urns. I found my first one in a night stand in the opening area for Ebonheart.
  • dabbourism
    dabbourism
    ✭✭
    I got one from coldharbour , some found them in urns , some in nightstand
    FOR RABIA .. FOR HONOR
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They don't drop in Colharrbour anymore, only during the beta
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have found a few. But I have not heard of High Elf (Altmer), Ancient Elf, Imperial, Primal or Daedra dropping yet.

I open Everything....
  • Disinterests
    What do the motifs do? I know they are apart of the Lorebooks, but why are they so expensive?
  • Zilyana
    Zilyana
    ✭✭✭
    What do the motifs do? I know they are apart of the Lorebooks, but why are they so expensive?

Because they aren't super common and everyone wants them to get the crafting styles, they will start dropping in price in a few months.
  • eliteman19
    Hawke wrote: »
    I have found a few. But I have not heard of High Elf (Altmer), Ancient Elf, Imperial, Primal or Daedra dropping yet.

I open Everything....

That I havent heard yet i would be interested to hear if anyone has found the daedra one, or ancient elf motifs. Im pretty sure the only way you can have the imperial motif is if you preordered the imperial pack at preorder or if your friend who has the crafting style can lend you some gear.

• Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The easiest way to get them is join a large trading guild. People are always willing to swap motifs for ones they don't have.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I open EVERYTHING and I haven't found one yet. Just my luck... I'm not even surprised.
  • eliteman19
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    The easiest way to get them is join a large trading guild. People are always willing to swap motifs for ones they don't have.

yeah ive found so far that dark elf motif is a hot one if you find a spare one everyone will want it.
    Rosveen wrote: »
    I open EVERYTHING and I haven't found one yet. Just my luck... I'm not even surprised.

nope ive had my best luck so far in coldharbour but no ancient elf or daedra so far havent seen much daedric items yet though at level 10
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rumor has it primative and daedric will be the most rare. Going to have to be patient for those, or find someone willing to trade.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Saiden wrote: »
    Rumor has it primative and daedric will be the most rare. Going to have to be patient for those, or find someone willing to trade.

Those can be found once you reach the veteran area's. Primitive and Reach can be found in the first veteran zone (EP for AD players). Daedric and Ancient Elf can be found in the last veteran zone (DC for AD players).
    PC - EU (AD)
  • Selstad
    Selstad
    ✭✭✭✭
    And you might also be very very unlucky. I've searched everything I found during my levelling, went through every house, every backpack, every sack etc.

All the motifs I now have I've bought, I have only had 1 motif drop for me between level 1 and veterank rank 5. So yes, it's very random, and you might end up like me :)
  • Cabot
    Cabot
    ✭✭✭

Agreed...they used to drop in the tutorial part of Coldharbor along with level 1 recipes.
  • Avidus
    Avidus
    ✭✭✭
    I have been fortunate to stumble across all of the standard 10 Motifs, However I have not yet encountered the rare ones, but now that I am in VR content, im sure that will change!
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Selstad wrote: »
    And you might also be very very unlucky. I've searched everything I found during my levelling, went through every house, every backpack, every sack etc.

All the motifs I now have I've bought, I have only had 1 motif drop for me between level 1 and veterank rank 5. So yes, it's very random, and you might end up like me :)

I found most of mine in cabinets, closets, nightstands, cupboards, trunks and in those little round chests in Coldharbour. I have found all normal racial motifs and I'm just level 46. It helps to check large buildings with many closets on a regular basis, when you go to the bank for example. You'll probably also will find quite a lot blue recipes which also sell quite nice.
    PC - EU (AD)
  • Turial
    Turial
    ✭✭✭
    You can search every nook and cranny but at this point in the game the 1-9 motifs are so abundant you can pick them up for as cheap as 100g depending on where you buy them. People just want to be rid of the basic ones at this point, you will still be paying 10-40k for the rares though.
    "Neither a 'Borrower nor a Lender' be."
    Never Forget

I think you have not been on the internet long enough until you have been rick-rolled.
    Please check out Enchanting Alchemy - A Progression Guild
  • Cwynlaen
    Cwynlaen
    ✭✭
    I found two (on two separate characters) in Cold Harbor after beta. It wasn't in the Wailing Prison but in the third instance with Lyris.

• dusticusub17_ESO
    The last 4 only drop in VR level zones.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found two (on two separate characters) in Cold Harbor after beta. It wasn't in the Wailing Prison but in the third instance with Lyris.
    I found three during the quest to free the general who wanted too switch to your side.
    Had I known about the tricks to log off during the last part too reset it and try again I would done so.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    100% wrong.

My Imperial Motif came from a trunk in Coldharbor, many days after launch.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Turial wrote: »
    You can search every nook and cranny but at this point in the game the 1-9 motifs are so abundant you can pick them up for as cheap as 100g depending on where you buy them. People just want to be rid of the basic ones at this point, you will still be paying 10-40k for the rares though.

Going price seems to be 500-900gp in Glenumbra. I sold mine for 300gp each to get rid of them quickly, and found buyers immediately.

If you have any you want to sell for 100GP, I will gladly buy them right now.