The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why choose both Red Eagle and Orgnum?

SilverBride
SilverBride
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
A couple of times recently I ran into players who choose both Red Eagle and Orgnum, but I can't figure out why. These decks have completely opposite strategies and I don't see any way that both could be played together effectively. Am I missing something here?
PCNA
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What strategies did they actually use in the games? How did that work out for them?
  • Lauranae
    Lauranae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    each time i met that kind of players they where just spaming Orgnum and using red eagle when they could not spam, without any strategy. Any card they get goes into maormer, so i guess that red eagle gives them more chance to have more cards

But i am tired of the push buttons smasher that now each time sometimes choose maormer, if they start spaming at second tour of the party, i leave, pure and simple.
    My most recent characters
    AD - Chjara NB
    -
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It didn't seem like they were using any strategy. The first one started spamming Orgnum almost immediately so I spammed it back. Then they started trying to get a patron win but I kept Orgnum favored so they couldn't. So I just ignored what they were doing, didn't buy another card, and spammed Orgnum to a win.

The one today didn't seem to be gathering more cards or removing any cards. They did use the Orgnum patron a couple of times and the Red Eagle patron a couple of times, but otherwise just played as though they weren't a factor. I won that one, too.

Is there really a strategy for choosing both decks or are they just confused about how these decks are played?

I actually asked one why they made those choices but they didn't reply.
    Edited by SilverBride on August 23, 2022 6:43AM
    PCNA
  • Veryamedliel
    Veryamedliel
    ✭✭✭
    Is there really a strategy for choosing both decks or are they just confused about how these decks are played?

I actually asked one why they made those choices but they didn't reply.

I can't talk for other players, but if it was me:

Red eagle really goes with everything as it's a good way to get rid of your unwanted (usually coin) cards leaving only (hopefully) combo/power cards in your deck. The drawing of the extra cards is most useful when you have no coins left to draw or possibly because you've bought some good cards and there's only 1 card left to draw and want to start fresh next turn hoping you'd get to play said cards. The same tactic is very viable with Orgnum. Even more so because it involves prestige and not power which can be forcibly wasted on agents with taunt. It's not a bad combo if you get the cards for them.

Then there's the fact you want to have options: just because you select Red Eagle and/or Orgnum, doesn't mean you get the cards from that deck. Having options with the 2 decks you like most seems like a good choice to me. I have 1 deck I dislike. Not that I can't play it, I just don't like how it works and it puts me almost to sleep. If I see that deck picked I almost always pick the purring liar, just to you-know-what with them :smile:
    Long story short, we all have our favorite decks and those we like less.

I'm not going to comment on how people actually play those 2 decks when that happens. That's different for everyone, and depends much on the cards in the tavern. Sometimes I don't even get to use the decks I picked because they won't turn up soon enough and you switch to another and it becomes a race for the card in the tavern you both want. It happens. Nobody forces you to actually play only the decks of your chosen patron.

Some people do get a bit annoyed if they see someone select Orgnum, regardless of what other decks there are. The game's both logical and emotional, just with MtG for example. People hate playing against a well-built blue or white deck there.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no problem with either of these decks and feel comfortable using them. It just seems to me that they would work against each other rather than together because of how opposite their strategies are.

There only deck I really hate seeing is Rajhin because of the long tedious games it can create.
    PCNA
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if they seemed to have no strategy and just spamming patrons they could have been trying to work on the achievements for card upgrades

i find it awful that they force you to do the matchmaking games to do those (i personally have not finished those achievements yet, and i have little interest in playing competitively)

when i go to work on those achievements someones probably going to have easy wins in store because i honestly do not care about the pvp aspect of tribute right now, but i do want to finish the card upgrades at some point (im only missing like 6 clue based upgrades)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If purple has already been selected, I'll sometimes choose Red Eagle and then Orgnum just so my opponent ignores the deck pruning cards. Opponents often try to keep a big deck and eventually spam the patron, but a lean purple/black deck will blast out like 60 prestige in one turn at some point.