Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

DPS Checks ?

nb_rich
nb_rich
✭✭✭
I was trying to join a trial yesterday and the person hosting the trial was asking the dps to all hit a dummy and see if we can kill it in 18 seconds.

What is the point of this and what does this prove ? Anything that can be killed in 18 seconds can probably be done by everyone since you just have to drop all your dots then hiy your spammable.

Shouldn’t the real question be if you can sustain and understand mechanics? Or even what gear sets everyone is using but these questions never seem to come up from people when hosting trials.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on August 15, 2022 2:07AM
nb_rich
  • opalcity
    opalcity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't do trials so I can't give a specific answer, but I'd presume that there will be something you need to be able to kill within 18 seconds, before that something (or a mechanic) kills YOU.
    Edited by opalcity on August 14, 2022 1:36PM
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like an inexperienced raid lead who does not know what damage per second is and just wants to come across as "leet".
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are examples of hard DPS checks in the game though. As in, if the group can't kill [X] fast enough, the group wipes.

Clear examples are the enemy in the portal in vSS final boss, the coral hearts downstairs in vDSR second boss, and shield phase for vMoL first boss. If those DPS checks aren't cleared, which requires everyone do do a set amount of damage in a specific time, it's an auto-wipe mechanic.

There are also examples of bosses that get harder if the fight goes too long. While things like the vMoL twins or vSS Yolnakriin aren't strict DPS checks, the longer they're up, the more adds they end up spawning, and it can get to a point where the tanks get overwhelmed with adds and can't handle that many.

Yes, some trials are set that you can take as long as you want. But there are some strict DPS checks built into the game, which is why raid leads will ask for certain DPS numbers. Now I'll agree that sometimes they inflate those numbers ("if we DPS it fast enough we can just skip all of the mechanics") which I don't agree with, but there are bosses that do have a harder check where "kill it this fast or we wipe" is not just an elitist ask.
  • ForzaRammer
    ForzaRammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    he should just ask for parse screenshots
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t know of any trial bosses that have a full-group dps check in seconds unless they were trying to skip 3rd bridge in vDSR. Not sure what parsing beforehand would do for that though since if you fail the check you can just try again and do the 3rd bridge. Maybe the lead just wanted to do it for funsies? If its all the DPS on a 21mil dummy then that information is useless anyway because you already have supports… bring the supports to give the buffs/debuffs on the group trial dummy… so it’s accurate? Ahha.
    Edited by Soarora on August 14, 2022 4:39PM
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    • CP 2000+
    • Warden Healer - Arcanist Healer - Warden Brittleden - Stamarc - Sorc Tank - Necro Tank - Templar Tank - Arcanist Tank
    • Trials: 9/12 HMs - 3/8 Tris
    • Dungeons: 30/30 HMs - 24/24 Tris
    • All Veterans completed!

View my builds!
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the trial?
    It sounds like the raid lead was wanting to do a quick check on how much dps people can do. People just starting dpsing trials may not have done parses or a dummy to know how much dps they do and some people lie about what they can do.
    I don’t know how experienced with trials you are but nearly all organised trials groups doing vet content will require dps to provide screen shots to prove how much dps they can do on the 21 mill raid dummy, or on console to provide a video. It would take too long to get everyone to do a full parse on the 21 mill dummy so maybe they were just getting people to do a quick check on the precursor dummy.
    Most trials have a dps check somewhere that causes a group wipe if failed and mechanics are much harder with low dps.
  • EnerG
    EnerG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He went about it a weird way, they usually just ask for a combat metrics screenshot on a trial dummy. But YES, some trials have dps checks and minimum dps to no drag out harder mechanics so the lead is in the right for asking, he just asked for it weirdly.
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    wait, is that all the dps killing a 3m dummy in 18 seconds or each dps killing the precursor dummy in 18 seconds. I don't understand the point here.
    and an 18 second kill is just a burst kill. drop a destro and you're done. this is the weirdest and dumbest dps check i've ever heard of...
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Clear examples are the enemy in the portal in vSS final boss, the coral hearts downstairs in vDSR second boss, and shield phase for vMoL first boss. If those DPS checks aren't cleared, which requires everyone do do a set amount of damage in a specific time, it's an auto-wipe mechanic.

Some of these examples do not include the entire group and lack the full set of raid buffs. As for the first vMoL boss, that is part of an ongoing fight which means sustained DPS is more important whereas an 18-second fight lacks a need for long-term sustain.

Of note, the first vMol fight and the vMol Twin fight you mentioned, that I edited out, sustain DPS both play a role as The Forgotten has a hard enrage timer and the twins spawn more adds as you noted in what I edited out. An 18-second DPS dummy fight provides useless information for both situations.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    18s long fight is enough to find, if player has any rotation. It could be done to determine, if they use both bars at full, or spam 2 skills only.
    PvP - Recruit.
    PvE - Dragon food
    RPG - A guy who thought, that he can defeat daedric prince, yet guards still chase him off when he accidentally touches some object during daily writs.
  • nb_rich
    nb_rich
    ✭✭✭
    M0ntie wrote: »
    What was the trial?
    It sounds like the raid lead was wanting to do a quick check on how much dps people can do. People just starting dpsing trials may not have done parses or a dummy to know how much dps they do and some people lie about what they can do.
    I don’t know how experienced with trials you are but nearly all organised trials groups doing vet content will require dps to provide screen shots to prove how much dps they can do on the 21 mill raid dummy, or on console to provide a video. It would take too long to get everyone to do a full parse on the 21 mill dummy so maybe they were just getting people to do a quick check on the precursor dummy.
    Most trials have a dps check somewhere that causes a group wipe if failed and mechanics are much harder with low dps.

VRG
    nb_rich
  • nb_rich
    nb_rich
    ✭✭✭
    Tannus15 wrote: »
    wait, is that all the dps killing a 3m dummy in 18 seconds or each dps killing the precursor dummy in 18 seconds. I don't understand the point here.
    and an 18 second kill is just a burst kill. drop a destro and you're done. this is the weirdest and dumbest dps check i've ever heard of...

Each DPS, and it is the dumbest check I heard of lol. To make it worse it was 2:30am so i just left I had no time for that lol.
    nb_rich
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Which dummy was it out of curiosity? (just being nosy here). To kill the 3m skele you would need 166k dps without support buffs, and the precursor only 17.8k unbuffed. Seems like a very strange request!
    Soupy twist
  • nb_rich
    nb_rich
    ✭✭✭
    fizl101 wrote: »
    Which dummy was it out of curiosity? (just being nosy here). To kill the 3m skele you would need 166k dps without support buffs, and the precursor only 17.8k unbuffed. Seems like a very strange request!

To be honest i ended up leaving the group once they asked for it lol. It was 2:30 am and if someone ended up getting kicked id be waiting forever for another player to join lol.
    nb_rich