The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I think I was wrong about PVP and will be giving it a serious try

• Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zuboko wrote: »
    FelisCatus wrote: »
    If more people actually tried it instead of acting like cowards. You learn from trial and error not running away and hiding. As a long time PvPer it's really nice to see more people give it a chance. Good for you! Just hope ZOS stops neglecting it.

Oh wow I'm suddenly not a coward anymore! thank you for showing how passive aggressive the PvP community is.

Look at the rest of the comments. The rest are all wonderfully positive and helpful. Don't let the one bad apple spoil the bunch.

True, I just can't stand people when they do that no matter how long they played PvP for.

Understood.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may not be the best advice in the current meta, as Magsorcs are as weak as they have ever been in PVP, but Mag Sorc is my standard recommendation for someone to break into PVP. They have a very simple and binary playstyle. Under pressure, stack shields. On offense, try for a simple burst combo of Frags, Curse, wrath and a stun, meteor if its up (Curse>Wrath>Meteor/CS, Streak, Frags, will make them all land at once on a stunned target in theory). They can be played at range so you dont have to be in the thick of things. I wont turn this into a why sorc is bad in the current meta thread.

If you have oakensoul, its even easier. Crushing shock, Frags, Streak, Twlight Matriarch, hardened ward, Ultimate (meteor or overload). Focus mostly on stat sets, Necro or crafty for the max magic with Shacklebreaker or Amber for sustain. CS spam until you get a frag, Meteor, streak to stun, turn and toss a frag.

I plan on playing a glass cannon oakensorc for the event (spells strat, Balorgh, Willpower, Oakensoul). Might as well abuse it while it lasts. Nothing like tossing 20k+ frags at pugs. LOL

My Sorcerer is my main right now so that has merit. And I will be going into this expecting to die ... a lot ... so maybe.

My second recommendation for any difficult content, trials, VMA, PVP, play the character you are most comfortable with. 100% run oakensoul on a sorc if you have it. Try to keep your shield up, cast twilight when you see your health bar move. Otherwise, spam CS and frags when they proc, use streak for a stun if needed and mobility. Meteor, streak, Frag proc is a very simple combo.

You wont be doing 1vX your first day in Cyro, lol. Stick to the zerg, make sure you can see enemy health bars, try to pick of weak targets. Bewitched Sugar Skulls and Tri Pots are your friends. For mundus either go max magic or magic regen. You dont need as much regen when hanging near the zerg or when lag is bad, so in MYM, I run a lot less. Max magic means bigger shields.

One Bar advice: Crushing Shock, Crystal Frags, Streak, Hardened Ward, Twilight Tormentor, Shooting Star

Gear advice:

Sharp Fire staff (poisons or shock enchant), 5 light, 1 medium, 1 heavy, all Impenetrable (maybe 1-2 well fitted). My suggestion on simple starting gear (assuming you have oakensoul and will play a pet), 5 piece Necro, 5 piece shacklebreaker, 1 Oakensoul, 1 monster (either Magma Incarnate for double regen or Domiahus for max stam+magic). If you dont have monster sets, 1 piece Trainee is also nice as the 1 piece bonus is 1500 health. Necro is cheap, shackle is crafted, so you can adjust the armor weights as needed. Go with Arcane jewelry 1 or 2 with spell damage, 1 or 2 with mag regen (infused spell damage is slightly more damage, but slightly worse defense as shields only scale with max magic). Max magic for armor enchants. If you have money to spend, go with prismatic enchants on your head, chest, and legs, and an infused prismatic recovery glyph on one piece of jewelry is really nice.

Equipment advice:

3 pieces of siege that everyone needs: Wall repair kits, Door repair kits, standard ballista for siege (elemental ballista's do less damage against keeps). Dont mess with anything else unless you know what you are doing. Always have tri pots and invis pots (for running away) on your quickslot. Imov pots and dectect pots are also handy. Sugar skulls are the best bang for your buck, but Clockwork Citrus Filet is also a great option, just spendy. I have deep pockets and still run sugar skulls.

Lots of options on CP: For blue, definitely take Deadly Aim, Master at arms, and Iron Clad (pick another one that looks good to you). For Red, I suggest Rejuvination or sustained by suffering, Fortified, pains refuge, (again pick any 4th). Green doesnt matter much. You probably want mount speed.

Hop in, the water is warm.

I've been slowly going through collecting all the gear in PVE, and I just finished collecting all the Covenant gear so I can now reconstruct the Necropotence set, which I was planning on doing for my next build anyway, and I have two crafters with all traits unlocked so I can easily make any craftable set. And My Sorc already has the Oakensoul ring. It sounds like I might have my build.

Great, let me know how it works. Necro is a strong option for pet builds, Crafty Alfiq is almost as good (both are max magic sets), but with crafty you dont need the pet. If you are going to do it, do it right, make the gear impen. Useless in PVE, but there are way better PVE sets than necro anyway. I definitely recomend Shackle to par with, but there are other options. Amber Plasm is more regen, spell strat is probably the most single target damage, but shackle is a good middle ground, easy to get, and you can make in medium/heavy to go 5/1/1.

You could also do something like 5 necro, 3 willpower (or ancient grace), 2 piece monster, 1 oakensoul, 1 trainee. That's basically my glass cannon build with Balorgh as the mosnter and Spell Strat instead of necro. It hits really hard, but sustain is rough and shields are small.

Not to overcomplicate things, just stuff to consider. No one right way to do it.

Quick note on Max Magic and Spell damage:

On Mag Sorc, generally Max magic will give you better defense because your shields scale with it, but spell damage is usually more damage when there are direct trade offs to be made. Damage skills scale off both magic and spell damage, so stacking into magic does increase your damage, which is why traditionally, mag sorcs would run with ridiculously high magic pools, and not a lot of spell damage.

But if really trying to go glass cannon, spell damage is better. As an easy example for jewelry (Maybe already said this), Infused w/spell damage is going to hit slightly harder than Arcane w/spell damage, but the Arcane will result in slightly bigger shields. Probably best to error on the side of defense when learning.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on July 28, 2022 8:47PM
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may not be the best advice in the current meta, as Magsorcs are as weak as they have ever been in PVP, but Mag Sorc is my standard recommendation for someone to break into PVP. They have a very simple and binary playstyle. Under pressure, stack shields. On offense, try for a simple burst combo of Frags, Curse, wrath and a stun, meteor if its up (Curse>Wrath>Meteor/CS, Streak, Frags, will make them all land at once on a stunned target in theory). They can be played at range so you dont have to be in the thick of things. I wont turn this into a why sorc is bad in the current meta thread.

If you have oakensoul, its even easier. Crushing shock, Frags, Streak, Twlight Matriarch, hardened ward, Ultimate (meteor or overload). Focus mostly on stat sets, Necro or crafty for the max magic with Shacklebreaker or Amber for sustain. CS spam until you get a frag, Meteor, streak to stun, turn and toss a frag.

I plan on playing a glass cannon oakensorc for the event (spells strat, Balorgh, Willpower, Oakensoul). Might as well abuse it while it lasts. Nothing like tossing 20k+ frags at pugs. LOL

My Sorcerer is my main right now so that has merit. And I will be going into this expecting to die ... a lot ... so maybe.

My second recommendation for any difficult content, trials, VMA, PVP, play the character you are most comfortable with. 100% run oakensoul on a sorc if you have it. Try to keep your shield up, cast twilight when you see your health bar move. Otherwise, spam CS and frags when they proc, use streak for a stun if needed and mobility. Meteor, streak, Frag proc is a very simple combo.

You wont be doing 1vX your first day in Cyro, lol. Stick to the zerg, make sure you can see enemy health bars, try to pick of weak targets. Bewitched Sugar Skulls and Tri Pots are your friends. For mundus either go max magic or magic regen. You dont need as much regen when hanging near the zerg or when lag is bad, so in MYM, I run a lot less. Max magic means bigger shields.

One Bar advice: Crushing Shock, Crystal Frags, Streak, Hardened Ward, Twilight Tormentor, Shooting Star

Gear advice:

Sharp Fire staff (poisons or shock enchant), 5 light, 1 medium, 1 heavy, all Impenetrable (maybe 1-2 well fitted). My suggestion on simple starting gear (assuming you have oakensoul and will play a pet), 5 piece Necro, 5 piece shacklebreaker, 1 Oakensoul, 1 monster (either Magma Incarnate for double regen or Domiahus for max stam+magic). If you dont have monster sets, 1 piece Trainee is also nice as the 1 piece bonus is 1500 health. Necro is cheap, shackle is crafted, so you can adjust the armor weights as needed. Go with Arcane jewelry 1 or 2 with spell damage, 1 or 2 with mag regen (infused spell damage is slightly more damage, but slightly worse defense as shields only scale with max magic). Max magic for armor enchants. If you have money to spend, go with prismatic enchants on your head, chest, and legs, and an infused prismatic recovery glyph on one piece of jewelry is really nice.

Equipment advice:

3 pieces of siege that everyone needs: Wall repair kits, Door repair kits, standard ballista for siege (elemental ballista's do less damage against keeps). Dont mess with anything else unless you know what you are doing. Always have tri pots and invis pots (for running away) on your quickslot. Imov pots and dectect pots are also handy. Sugar skulls are the best bang for your buck, but Clockwork Citrus Filet is also a great option, just spendy. I have deep pockets and still run sugar skulls.

Lots of options on CP: For blue, definitely take Deadly Aim, Master at arms, and Iron Clad (pick another one that looks good to you). For Red, I suggest Rejuvination or sustained by suffering, Fortified, pains refuge, (again pick any 4th). Green doesnt matter much. You probably want mount speed.

Hop in, the water is warm.

I've been slowly going through collecting all the gear in PVE, and I just finished collecting all the Covenant gear so I can now reconstruct the Necropotence set, which I was planning on doing for my next build anyway, and I have two crafters with all traits unlocked so I can easily make any craftable set. And My Sorc already has the Oakensoul ring. It sounds like I might have my build.

Great, let me know how it works. Necro is a strong option for pet builds, Crafty Alfiq is almost as good (both are max magic sets), but with crafty you dont need the pet. If you are going to do it, do it right, make the gear impen. Useless in PVE, but there are way better PVE sets than necro anyway. I definitely recomend Shackle to par with, but there are other options. Amber Plasm is more regen, spell strat is probably the most single target damage, but shackle is a good middle ground, easy to get, and you can make in medium/heavy to go 5/1/1.

You could also do something like 5 necro, 3 willpower (or ancient grace), 2 piece monster, 1 oakensoul, 1 trainee. That's basically my glass cannon build with Balorgh as the mosnter and Spell Strat instead of necro. It hits really hard, but sustain is rough and shields are small.

Not to overcomplicate things, just stuff to consider. No one right way to do it.

Quick note on Max Magic and Spell damage:

On Mag Sorc, generally Max magic will give you better defense because your shields scale with it, but spell damage is usually more damage when there are direct trade offs to be made. Damage skills scale off both magic and spell damage, so stacking into magic does increase your damage, which is why traditionally, mag sorcs would run with ridiculously high magic pools, and not a lot of spell damage.

But if really trying to go glass cannon, spell damage is better. As an easy example for jewelry (Maybe already said this), Infused w/spell damage is going to hit slightly harder than Arcane w/spell damage, but the Arcane will result in slightly bigger shields. Probably best to error on the side of defense when learning.

I'll likely stick with something simple when I do my first run.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I commend you for taking the leap of faith into the exciting world of PvP!

As a mostly stamina player I had to grind my way up to get Caltrops and Vigor back when they were not the first skills to unlock and it took me several hours in Cyrodiil. I thought I would never return.

But MYM (as it was formerly called) and the zerging on my PvE main was exhilarating! It made me want a true PvP toon.

The thing I really love about PvP is no one forces you into a certain build like PvE. You can try something out, tweak a few things until it works for you. Tired of being outnumbered all the time I finally went over to the dark side and am trying a Dark Convergence build now. Hint: it’s not as effective against ball groups as ZOS would like you to believe.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• DaisyRay
    DaisyRay
    ✭✭✭
    When I first tried pvp, I was both excited and scared. I often ran away from fights and was too scared to do things on my own. I was in a casual pvp group who did pvp quests every weekend. While I appreciate the guilds for introducing me to pvp, I felt like their way of doing things held me back. I had to step out of my comfort zone as a group to really experience PVP. 

Now it's the only thing I play in ESO. I still get scared sometimes, lol, but then I realize it's just a game. I also accepted the fact that everyone will die at some point. It's not something you can always avoid, but it's okay, we can try again. I don't even care if I die now. It's usually very funny. I've had some ridiculous deaths, like being ultied by three people so hard that I fell off the keep and died from fall damage. Then there are the bridge trolls who knock me into the water before I even knew what was going on.

I am writing all this to say that I am so pleased you're trying pvp. It's not all serious doom and gloom. It's challenging, but also fun and, at times, hilarious. So don't give up! Also, Idk about these other factions and camps, but AD GH has the best zone chat of all time.
    ⭑・゚゚・*:༅。.。༅:*゚:*:✼✿ DaisyRay ✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave you some pointers. Hopefully you are able to get the gear I recommended for first time PVP players to try it out and go from there.

• Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave you some pointers. Hopefully you are able to get the gear I recommended for first time PVP players to try it out and go from there.

I was able to get some gear and your suggestions were extremely helpful. I have a bit more work to find something that suits my play style but everyone has been massively helpful.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually took out another player in PVP!!!!!!!!!! Then I died to the second guy who showed up, but hey I did not blow up at the first sight of a player. Thank you everyone. I still have a lot to learn but that is to be expected.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just went 1v2 and actually won!!!!
    Thank you everyone for the amazing help you gave. I still have a long way to go but I am getting somewhere.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was totally awesome!!!!! I just went 1v3 with people from two different factions and won. Then two more showed up and I died, but I am not instantly popping and am actually winning. And even competing on a viable level. Thank you again everyone. I am Tornaad. a1mf0pucki8j.jpg
    Edited by Tornaad on August 16, 2022 3:04AM