The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Cards Across Continent/Club Phenom explained + other ToT bugs

Skvysh
Skvysh
✭✭✭
... or "Everything Wrong with Tales of Tribute in 1 thread or less".

Club Phenom (and the lower tier achievements) - the one that asks you to do 30 daily PvE ToT quests - has been bugged since release. People have been throwing around all sorts of crazy theories - anything from "It's random" to "you gotta do all 3 matches for it to count".

The real issue is very simple - "Cards Across the Continent" quests with internal ID of 6831 will not count towards the achievement's progress, while quests with ID of 6800 will (the IDs are based off uesp's logviewer).
In other words, if your daily quest's first match is located in: Rift, Vvardenfell or Northern Elsweyr, the quest will not count towards the achievement's progress, regardless of how much you complete it, when you complete it and on what character.
Conversely, if your first match is located in: Stonefalls, Glenumbra or Auridon, the quest will work as intended towards the achievement's progress.

If you're only doing it for the achievement, this will help you avoid doing "useless" quests, while the internal ID, hopefully, will help ZOS fix the issue faster.

Moving onto other bugs, with some having been covered already before, though probably not in enough detail/explanation on how to reproduce it:

Highlighting bug
(Covered before elsewhere, but here's some evidence)
When playing an Ansei card with choices, the highlighting of available actions (patron and cards in the tavern row) disappears. Moving your mouse over cards in the tavern row brings it back for the individual cards, but does not seem to work for patrons. See the video below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkKhA43iGI4

Companion can be attacked during Tot match
When you're in a ToT match, your companion can be targeted (and killed) by you, for whatever the reason. See the video below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGwRI6g_hNk

Getting locked out of patron powers...
... and possibly other actions due to interrupts caused by a mixture of slow animations and combo actions. A serious bug where if you, say, open treasury patron UI to try and convert a card into writ but some combo action hasn't caught up yet (such as Remove as see in the example below), the patron power will be interrupted to resolve the combo action, but then you'll be locked out from using the patron again. I assume (although haven't bothered testing) if it's also the cause of some other issues such as "ghost" cards in tavern row and other actions being seemingly eaten up by interrupts like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URZtvN-D1bM

Expert AI using Mainland Inquiries instead of Way of the Sword
(Covered in some other threads, but here's a video)
When an expert AI selects Ansei's deck, the starter "Way of the Sword" card gets replaced by a green version of "Mainland Inquiries", normally seen in Celarus' deck. This odd card functions like regular Mainland Inquiries (generates 1 gold), but works as an Ansei card for combo purposes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgfkQW_4eqg

Limit of 10 on usable agents
You can only activate the first 10 active agents during your turn, the remaining ones being inaccessible. Unsure if one getting cleared at least moves the entire row.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_X7YaFfNL8

Tales of Tribute Master achievement does not require Card Connoisseur
Mentioned elsewhere before, but the achievement is granted without Card Connoisseur being completed:
2bkCJOk.png

Legion's Arrival unobtainable
There are several threads about this already, but the upgrade "Legion's Arrival" is currently unobtainable. The pattern for every other upgrade says that this card should be granted upon rank up as a reward. However, because you already start at rank 1 and max out at rank 8, you only level up 7 times. As a result, one deck does not get its upgrade through a rank up (which happens to be Legion's Arrival).

Celarus' patron power icon issue
The icon next to Celarus dial shows the (incorrect) Return icon seen on Pelin power as well or some Ansei cards, while the tooltip has the correct Knock-out icon.
sKNEYd8.png

Wording issues on Delmene's power tooltip
The description for Hlaalu patron's power says that you can only sacrifice a card in play, while in reality you can sacrifice a card from your hand as well. Unsure if the wording or the actual power is misleading. The "correct" wording can be seen on Treasury patron's power tooltip:
AGn1fEv.png

Card-specific issues
Legion's Arrival missing actual upgrade component
This has also been mentioned several times (by me including), but bringing this up again. Legion's Arrival is a direct downgrade of Reinforcements from which its supposed to "upgrade" from. All of the power has been moved to 3 combo with nothing to compensate for it:
I6RdVWk.png

Hira's End incorrect "Return" amount
Covered in a thread not too long ago, but here's a side-by-side comparison of Hira's End and March on Hattu from which it upgrades into. The Return value is incorrectly stated as "4" on the card, while you can only Return 3 cards with it. It already upgrades into generating power from a combo, so the correct Return value should be "3", as it is on March on Hattu card.
2MO2T66.png

Shadow's Slumber/Jarring Lullaby cost issue
One of these cards has incorrect cost. Jarring Lullaby costs 6 and upgrades into Shadow's Slumber which, at an increased cost of 7 gold now, generates only 1 additional gold through combo as an "upgrade". My math's telling me that Jarring Lullaby should then cost 7 gold as well, though I could be wrong and it's Shadow's Slumber that has the wrong cost.
nAJyJEc.png

Siege Weapon Volley upgrade potentially too strong
While most other cards upgrade resource values by 1 when their cost is not increased, Siege Weapon Volley generates both an extra power point as well as extra gold on combo compared to Archer's Volley, at no additional cost. This seems very much out of place compared most other upgrades that usually only give 1 extra gold/power, have 1 extra health or add additional combo reward (sometimes at an increased cost).
uPVHgDw.png

There are, of course, many other bugs - the issues with opponents conceding not counting towards PvP daily progress, agents hidden behind taunt agents "eating up" Knock-out actions, conceding in PvE match granting 30 "ghost" XP that disappears on relog and various other stuff. I've only included the bugs that I can reproduce myself currently.
  • qcell
    qcell
    ✭✭✭
    well written report. I'm having the same issues.

Most seem to be gameplay corner cases, but the issue mentioned "Legion's Arrival unobtainable" has no workaround at all making several achievement points unobtainable.

Unobtainable achievements:
    - Upgrade all the cards in the following Tales of Tribute decks. (50 points)
    - Collect the upgraded cards from the Saint Pelin deck in Tales of Tribute. (10 points)
  • perfiction
    perfiction
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To add to that I sometimes experience additional sound/visual issues. It's quite random and I wasn't able to trigger it manually:
    - card highlights are not visible at all
    - card pull/shuffle sounds effects are missing

Both happen randomly throughout whole ToT match, then it gets fixed when starting the next match.
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Very good overview, thank you.

Let's hope for a swift response from ZOS.
  • Nelyawyn
    Nelyawyn
    ✭✭
    I would like to add that there seems to be a problem with the following achievements:

- Opening Hand
    - Ebony Roister
    - Quicksilver Roister
    - (most likely the other rank achievements are affected as well, but I haven't tested it as it's not worth the effort if I don't get the achievement)

For some reason, despite doing placements and reaching a certain rank, the corresponding achievements didn't unlock for me even though I tried both this month and last.
    Anyone else with that issue?
  • Skvysh
    Skvysh
    ✭✭✭
    Nelyawyn wrote: »
    I would like to add that there seems to be a problem with the following achievements:

- Opening Hand
    - Ebony Roister
    - Quicksilver Roister
    - (most likely the other rank achievements are affected as well, but I haven't tested it as it's not worth the effort if I don't get the achievement)

For some reason, despite doing placements and reaching a certain rank, the corresponding achievements didn't unlock for me even though I tried both this month and last.
    Anyone else with that issue?

There were so many bugs I completely forgot about that one. A bunch of us had the issue with them that the achievements would only unlock once went up a rank, not when you finished placements and landed in one (including Opening Hand).
  • Skvysh
    Skvysh
    ✭✭✭
    So with the latest update, Hira's End, Highlighting bug and Tales of Tribute Master achievement requirements have been fixed.

Additionally, Cards Across the Continent (it's players , not player's, btw) as well as unobtainable Legion's Arrival have been acknowledge, though no ETA is given and the acknowledgement is hidden in a way that you don't know where to look unless you know about it already.

The rest of the bugs and minor issues are still out there in the wild, with no official word as far as I know.

There's also potential problem with interaction between cards that grant 2 Knock-Outs and taunt agents. The rules aren't clear enough whether it should behave as it does or not and some official word on it is needed.
  • Anne13
    Anne13
    ✭✭✭✭
    Uhuh console will have to wait 2 months if not longer for some of these fixes.
  • Skvysh
    Skvysh
    ✭✭✭
    Anne13 wrote: »
    Uhuh console will have to wait 2 months if not longer for some of these fixes.

Oh, they just straight up gave up on doing bug fixes now and everyone will have to wait for the next DLC.

Sorta like how you have to wait till the next DLC drops before you can obtain some of the motifs (and their related achievements), now you also have to wait for the next DLC to come out before being able to obtain "regular" achievements added by the previous one.

Pay now, get working content later.
  • barigood54_ESO
    I think they may regret creating something so complicated, just as they will be sorry for messing with PVP and causing expert players to leave and go elsewhere for their skills and fun. JMO :)
  • barigood54_ESO
    I need to add that I find TOT mesmerizing and am loving it...and I am not an expert PVP'er.... :)
  • Skvysh
    Skvysh
    ✭✭✭
    I think they may regret creating something so complicated

The game's fairly simple. It's only a few extra steps over Star Realms and that one can fit entire rulebook into a small booklet the size of a standard card (though, of course, in-game tutorial decides to go the complicated route and fail at teaching the basics clearly). I honestly found Dominion a lot more confusing to get into (because of the whole Action/Buy phases and VP cards), and I've tried that with quite a bit of deck builder experience beforehand.

With the game being digital-only, it's easy to adjust the cards and even rules without needing to do a re-print, so they're more lenient on making mistakes in the design. And that shows, with the balancing being questioned pretty much since day one - it doesn't feel fleshed out as other deck builders out there. Best I could find was that "Several members of the Elder Scrolls Online development team have a history in the board games industry", which doesn't carry as much weight as "Magic Hall of Famers" Star/Hero Realms can boast about.

While ToT definitely offers something unique, it also leaves plenty to be desired. The various bugs - ranging from simple visuals to gamebreaking stuff that prevents you from interacting with game mechanics or being unable to progress achievements and the little attention to them (we released new achievements, but you'll have to wait 3 months to be able to earn them) are a kick in the crotch.
    Edited by Skvysh on July 16, 2022 7:57PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed this too and have been stuck at 10 even though I do the daily every day.

Please fix this!
    PCNA
  • SekaiXD
    SekaiXD
    ✭✭
    Has this been fixed?
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that I know of.
    PCNA
  • Skvysh
    Skvysh
    ✭✭✭
    SekaiXD wrote: »
    Has this been fixed?

Few of the mentioned issues have been fixed, but the "main" one - Club Phenom progress - nope.

A lot of it is addressed in PTS, though, including the one in question.