Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I hate scrying.

velt88_ESO
velt88_ESO
✭✭✭
1.) It forces me to participate in gameplay I don't enjoy in order to acquire gear I need to progress.
2.) The grind to level it made me want to jump in a tar pit.
3.) The excavation process is cancer. I've had cancer, and I'd rather sit in a hot room for 15 days than interface with this. At least there is Jello.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree, Scrying and Excavation minigames do not feel like they belong is ESO. It's such filler content, just a grind and a skill point sink without any fun. Worst chapter feature until Tales of Tribute, even companions aren't quite this useless.
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I really love scrying and excavating. I don't think of it as a game really. It's sort of zen for me like farming. I've gotten most of the furnishings available... I hate the grind for leads though. Those are the worst part of antiques.

I also didn't at all like the grind to level it though, and it's worse for the second character because unlike the first time around there are no free purple leads available after the first green/blue. It's a terrible grind and I won't do it again.

PS5/NA
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The mini-game is...okay I guess.

I just like the furnishings and lancers I get from it so I endure it.

I’d like to mention it’s a real drag to have to scry on my AD toon, which is my main toon with all the scrying points, and then dig up the lancer on my DC toons. That never was addressed.

EDIT: clarification
    Edited by katanagirl1 on August 2, 2022 5:18AM
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Kallykat
    Kallykat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really enjoy this system and scrying in particular. The only part I dislike is trying to level up alts.
  • deejayvee
    deejayvee
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can live with scrying and excavating, it's getting the leads that bothers me. Especially when they're bugged, have been for months and still haven't been fixed.
    PC - NA
  • Dawnblade
    Dawnblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scrying is easy, even if kind of silly inside an MMO.

Running around some of the zones with terrible terrain to find the dig site sucks, and digging I do not like at all.

Also, lead acquisition is a mixed bag - some aren't too bad, some are god awful.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1. Sure, but once you've leveled it up, you don't really need to participate in the scrying bit since you can always succeed with just a couple clicks.
    2. Fair, but you only need to do it once.
    3. It hurts when you fail, but you should only fail 1 in 10 at most. I hate finding where you have to excavate more than I hate excavating. I've had to look for the damn thing for more than 30 minutes on multiple occasions.
    4. It only really feels bad when the thing you gotta find is somewhere that is difficult content, or when the place is a hard once per day per character. The jewelry deposit one for the Sea Serpent's Coil, or the one that you can only get through rewards of the worthy, those are total garbage. Got the jewelry one pretty quick, but I could see it being terrible. Then there's the oakensoul one in murkmire...
    Edited by merpins on August 5, 2022 10:26PM
  • velt88_ESO
    velt88_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I just think it's messed up.

You have this system which is effectively a gate to some pretty strong items like the Oakensoul -- which in itself is designed to make the game more accessible. But it's locked behind this awful grind... not to mention -- new players who don't research what items to get are never going to know about it. Then when you start working towards it, it's hours and hours of your life doing what in my opinion is one of the most boing parts of any
    merpins wrote: »
    1. Sure, but once you've leveled it up, you don't really need to participate in the scrying bit since you can always succeed with just a couple clicks.
    2. Fair, but you only need to do it once.
    3. It hurts when you fail, but you should only fail 1 in 10 at most. I hate finding where you have to excavate more than I hate excavating. I've had to look for the damn thing for more than 30 minutes on multiple occasions.
    4. It only really feels bad when the thing you gotta find is somewhere that is difficult content, or when the place is a hard once per day per character. The jewelry deposit one for the Sea Serpent's Coil, or the one that you can only get through rewards of the worthy, those are total garbage. Got the jewelry one pretty quick, but I could see it being terrible. Then there's the oakensoul one in murkmire...

I am glad you only have to do it once. I just learned that you can duplicate mythic items you've acquired across your characters... so thank god for that.

I think I was really upset with it because I grinded level 1 to 7 as fast as I could stomach so I could work on getting the ring of the pale order and the oakensoul so I could see which one works better for me to help me solo content.

Then I had to grind a bunch of content I didn't enjoy to get the leads -- and at level 7, excavating mythic leads doesn't leave a lot of room for error, and you can pretty easily break the item with the tools -- causing you to have to wander around like an idiot again.

Basically the entire process made me completely miserable. I'm less mad now that I've taken a break from it.. but I still need to finish the ring of the pale order and the wild hunt... and I'm really dreading it tbh. I found farming clams to be more enjoyable, and I feel like that is saying something lol.

This is a pretty crappy gate to have in front of new players to get items like the Oakensoul -- whose entire purpose is to help new players lol.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scrying is super fast when you get the passive that lets you choose big areas, it can basically be over in 4-5 moves, with no thinking behind it. Lead farming is another story...
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    velt88_ESO wrote: »
    This is a pretty crappy gate to have in front of new players to get items like the Oakensoul -- whose entire purpose is to help new players lol.

I get what you're saying. It's a bit of an annoying system until you get the hang of it, and to get the hang of it you need to get to level 9 in both at minimum. It is annoying when you just want a couple of items, but it needs to have some kind of difficulty to it, since the alternative to this would be long grinds in dungeons, random treasure chests, or trials to obtain gear as per the game's normal gear progression.

As for the Oakensoul; it's good for new players, don't get me wrong. It helps newer players do a bit better at the game (even after the nerf coming next patch). But it's an accessibility item first, a player help item second. It's for disabled players before it's for new players, and that group of players has already been playing the game for a while generally.

Imo though, the ring of the pale order is far and away a better item for new players as compared to Oaken, at least after the nerf next patch. Oaken will still increase your damage a good bit and make the game easier to play, but when soloing content the ring of the pale order will provide you with much more safety than the oaken ring.
  • velt88_ESO
    velt88_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    merpins wrote: »
    velt88_ESO wrote: »

I get what you're saying. It's a bit of an annoying system until you get the hang of it, and to get the hang of it you need to get to level 9 in both at minimum. It is annoying when you just want a couple of items, but it needs to have some kind of difficulty to it, since the alternative to this would be long grinds in dungeons, random treasure chests, or trials to obtain gear as per the game's normal gear progression.

As for the Oakensoul; it's good for new players, don't get me wrong. It helps newer players do a bit better at the game (even after the nerf coming next patch). But it's an accessibility item first, a player help item second. It's for disabled players before it's for new players, and that group of players has already been playing the game for a while generally.

Imo though, the ring of the pale order is far and away a better item for new players as compared to Oaken, at least after the nerf next patch. Oaken will still increase your damage a good bit and make the game easier to play, but when soloing content the ring of the pale order will provide you with much more safety than the oaken ring.

I really like the Oakensoul ring sofar. Swapping bars just messes me up. I always end up on the wrong bar.. and then I feel like I'm just staring at my bars buff timers and not actually playing the game. I've watched lots of videos on how to improve my damage and start doing harder content.. but it's always running a staff or 2hr on the back bar, which I thematically don't want to do... and just juggling whatever dots do the most damage per button press.

It makes all the builds seem homogenous and kinda uninteresting. Everyone is basically doing exactly the same thing, using similar gear sets and a lot of the same abilities.

The Oakensoul is neat cause it lets me make a simple setup. I just want to have a cool rogue setup. Need my stealth, a teleport move, an AOE move, a single target move, and an execute. Which I can run while questing and stuff.. but I have to abandon any level of identity when I do actual content.

I really wish they'd just do away with the bar swap, and give me like 10-15 action bar buttons I can bind. I want my utility moves.. but I don't want to have to bar swap to get them.

So instead, right now I just run a pretty mediocre damage build, cause I'm stubborn. The Oakensoul lets me get a little more damage in, and keep my playstyle mostly in tact. I'm gonna be really sad when they nerf it into the ground in the next major update.
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s fine once you get the hang of it. You do only have to level it once really.
    It doesn’t take 30 mins to find the dig site if you use the eye tool - it points you right to it.
    Each new release usually only has a small number of mythics that I really need.
    The drop rate on a few leads it really horrible.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it too and levelling it is the worst grind in the game so I just don't bother anymore
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    As I've said before, it's most annoying getting the leads when you don't have Greymoor.
  • ellmarie
    ellmarie
    ✭✭✭
    lol. I didn't mind it at first. But don't like doing it with EVERY character to get up to 7 and unlock the chests passive.
    Xbox X- NA