Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

PC gamepad users - what do you use?

PurpleScroll
PurpleScroll
✭✭✭✭
Thought I'd make this thread to give some recommendations to players who wish to play on PC with a gamepad, but don't really know what to use with how many there are available for the PC.

I use an 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ 2, and I used the first model prior to this. Works excellent in ESO, has the Playstation analogue stick/D-pad layout, and has incredible software for adjusting all the buttons, triggers and vibration to your liking. Comes with a rechargeable battery that just needs plugging in via USB, and lasts all day easily.

What does everyone else use? :)
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on August 7, 2022 3:03AM
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dualshock 4. There's nothing more to add, just perfect gamepad. DS4Windows software required and optional PS4Buttons addon. So yeah, it's not just plug and play.

As for popular F710 it has very good sticks, but terrible triggers, imo.
  • M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hyperkin Duke.
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • jlmurra2
    jlmurra2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xbox Elite Controller Series 2:

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/controllers/elite-wireless-controller-series-2

I had three regular Xbox controllers fail playing ESO, and then bought one of these, and so far it has out lasted all three combined.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use Xbox 360 controller, although not in ESO. I generally prefer mouse and keyboard, gamepad is mostly for 2D platformers for me.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xbox Elite gen 1 although I have several Xbox 360 and Xbox one controllers that I used previously from my consoles. Normally I use MKB with an MMO mouse in my MMOs but with ESO only using a few abilities on each bar I gave controller a shot once they patched in support and it was rather nice.
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    logitech momo racing wheel with pedals
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sometimes try out Gamepad Mode with the Dualshock 3 controller that came with my PS3. Since I am not aware of any DS3 drivers for Windows, I use a program to trick Windows into thinking I had plugged in a XBOX controller.
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • mpicklesster
    mpicklesster
    ✭✭✭
    Power A Enhanced XBox One Controller: https://www.powera.com/p/xbox/xbox-series-xs/controllers/wired/enhanced-wired-controller-for-xbox-black-1516953-01/

It has 2 programmable buttons on the underside. I bind the thumbsticks to them because pressing the underside buttons is more fluid that pressing down the actual thumbsticks themselves.

I pair this with a complete button remapping program called XPadder: https://xpadder.com/

The default controller settings for ESO are sloppy at best, IMO. So I use XPadder to re-bind all of the controller buttons to skills and actions that make sense to my brain. For example, I always thought it was silly that I had to press 2 buttons to use my ultimate. With XPadder, I can rebind my ultimate ability to just 1 button--thereby reacting just a little faster in combat.
  • NettleCarrier
    NettleCarrier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xbox elite series 2 here for my main controller, I use the default keys but I mapped both left back paddles to sprint (left thumbstick press normally) and both right paddles to bar swap (d-pad left). I found it too difficult to use both paddles on one side for different things so I make them to the same so I'm basically just squeezing one hand to hit it. Overall it seems to help the stick drift that normally comes up and is seemingly made worse by mashing in the left stick to sprint 100% of the time.

Another (more budget) one I've tried is a turtle beach xbox controller with back paddles as well, it seems to work just as well. I went through a few PowerA controllers so I won't buy them anymore, the sticks drift after about a month of use for me.
    GM of Gold Coast Corsairs - PCNA
  • Malkiv
    Malkiv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Razer Wolverine v2 for the very rare times I want to use a game pad. I use it mostly in Elden.
    PC-NA | PvP (Gray Host & BGs) | PvE (vTrials & vDGs)
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the day I used a DS4 till my hands started hurting. Then I went with a Razer Raiju which felt way better in my hands and made the pain go away. However after heavy use, it started to fail on me.

Finally I found the pièce de résistance. The Astro C40 TR. A controller that not only felt good in my hands, but it's also built to last. The software it comes with helps me resolve joystick issues that may occur over time and I can get replacement joysticks/d-pad when those start wearing down from use instead of having to replace the whole controller. 10/10 would buy again.

iddr6mr3pcwr.gif
    Edited by Artim_X on August 4, 2022 4:55PM
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
  • TheGent
    TheGent
    ✭✭✭
    I use the game pad just to run around but when i navigate through the UI i use my M&KB cause the Controller UI is AWFUL
    ESO: @The.Gent
    I really need a questing friend. Playing solo is lonely and boring (i am in multiple guilds too)

• virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    TheGent wrote: »
    I use the game pad just to run around but when i navigate through the UI i use my M&KB cause the Controller UI is AWFUL

BetterUI helps improve some menus drastically. There is a fix circulating for the current update - I got it off of Nexus Mods from a link in the ESOUI page. I still find myself preferring keyboard mode for inventory management and banking, but BetterUI makes the menus at least useable for me in gamepad mode.
  • PurpleScroll
    PurpleScroll
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quite a wide range of gamepads people use, nice to see. :)

And yeah, BetterUI is an absolutely stellar addon to use for inventory and bank management.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a PS4, PS5 or Switch Pro controller. Mainly because I don't use a controller on PC often so it's not worth buying a dedicated one and of the ones already in the house they're the easiest to connect. Which one I use depends mainly on which one isn't being used for it's respective console and which I find first.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use DS4 controller with the ds4windows program. I tried the XBOX Elite too, but I found it too bulky, and couldn't get used to the left joystick being higher. I was kind of curious about the Raiju, but reading a comment from another poster that theirs fell apart dampened my enthusiasm, because it's too expensive not to last long. The DS4 I'm using now is 4+ years old, and after heavy use it only recently started to get a tiny drift occasionally on a joystick, so I'd say they are pretty sturdy.
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just use an old Xbox one controller. Nothing fancy.
    PvP needs more love.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use a DS4 myself. There are fewer controllers out there that have their axis sticks horizontally aligned, and I find the DS4 more comfortable and solid than the others I’ve tried. It really does come down to personal taste, though.
  • DP99
    DP99
    ✭✭✭✭
    BuildMan wrote: »
    I just use an old Xbox one controller. Nothing fancy.

Yep, just an Xbox One controller for me.
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xbox Elite Gen 2 for me, Usually just for questing thou.
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use a Logitech X-box controller.
  • Sleep
    Sleep
    ✭✭✭✭
    xbox
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh a $30 Xbox One controller from Gamestop with the replacement warranty cuz I'm pretty dang aggressive with my controllers. Gotta replace em every 3-5 months. I don't throw em or anything. They just get a lot of use.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Memory_In_Motion
    Memory_In_Motion
    ✭✭✭✭
    got an xbox 360 wireless for 20$ and an xbox series s wired controller for 25$ 360 came with a dongle for wifi but runs on batteries. with bluetooth in the past i have used ps3 controllers because they are inexpensive 10-15$ they charge and last a full day of gaming. buy a few and rotate them out when they run out of charge.
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wired xbox one controller. Isn't too expensive and works well enough. Usually last a good while considering how much I play with it.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post